Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Facebook - Yay or Nay

Facebook - Yay or Nay
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2017, 07:44 PM

Now that its been basically well over a decade that Facebook has been around, what are peoples thoughts on the disruption it has had on social media and social lives. I think back to the forums that people used to spend a lot of time on (and some still do) and cant help but think about how much I actually prefer this over facebook.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Ham Sandwich
Dec 29, 2017, 08:45 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:36 AM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2017, 04:08 AM

I’ve never been a fan of FB or social media in general.

OreoCookie
Dec 30, 2017, 09:13 AM

I haven't posted status updates in years, I rarely upload photos, I haven't made my marriage “official” — on FaceBook that is (my wife asked me to do that)*. I avoid getting any news from FaceBook, because I don't want to be caught up in a bubble. I use it to communicate with friends, organize a few events (almost always as a guest) and use some flea market groups to buy stuff.

* FaceBook for sure knows, we have been sharing IPs for several years now. I'm sure it has also figured out we are expecting from the stuff I bought used. Ugh.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2017, 10:42 AM

I use it to keep up with family, friends and classmates. But I do see how it can cause some pretty serious problems. The model for post promotion makes it easy for inflammatory material to become viral - and even more inflammatory - very quickly. They automate so much of the “monitoring and moderation” of posts that it’s hard to get a human take on whether something is valid or not until it’s been running rampant for a while.

My bottom line is that I do NOT consider Facebook a “news source,” and I encourage everyone I communicate wth through FB to do likewise.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Dec 30, 2017, 11:08 AM

I've had a Facebook account for ages, basically just to lock-in my username (and then they went to real names ) But, I've always had it pretty locked-down as far as what FB will allow you to opt-out of, block, etc. And ublock and Ghostery kill all the ads. I basically never use it.

That said, after we moved last summer, we discovered that our new neighborhood pretty much conducts all its business via a Facebook page. This includes announcements from the HOA, the city, utilities, etc. So, I've had to bite the bullet and actually use the damned thing. My own account is still battened-down and mostly unused, though.

The worst is when businesses forego having an actual website and use a Facebook page instead. I see more and more of them doing this, some of them requiring you log-in to your own FB page in order to view the business' page, which seems pretty effin' dumb to me.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I’ve never been a fan of FB or social media in general.
I'm with you. Never tried any of 'em and don't plan to.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2017, 01:41 PM

I was just forced into the “family Facebook page”. This was more of an ordeal than it would be normally because I have a fake name on Facebook.

Twist: I made a fake name in the first place so my family couldn’t find me.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I've had a Facebook account for ages, basically just to lock-in my username (and then they went to real names ) But, I've always had it pretty locked-down as far as what FB will allow you to opt-out of, block, etc. And ublock and Ghostery kill all the ads. I basically never use it.

That said, after we moved last summer, we discovered that our new neighborhood pretty much conducts all its business via a Facebook page. This includes announcements from the HOA, the city, utilities, etc. So, I've had to bite the bullet and actually use the damned thing. My own account is still battened-down and mostly unused, though.

The worst is when businesses forego having an actual website and use a Facebook page instead. I see more and more of them doing this, some of them requiring you log-in to your own FB page in order to view the business' page, which seems pretty effin' dumb to me.
What’s worse is when you have friends/family that you can OLNY communicate with vis FB Messenger even though you know they have a phone/email.

FB’s weird strategy of spinning off parts and forcing multiple apps (with intrusive notifications you can’t turn off) made Messenger a non-starter for me, sorry friends!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2017, 07:57 PM

My only real gripe with Facebook: It randomly shares posts with people unrelated to the group/conversation. eg: A reply I make to one of my more er, unsavoury friends posts may randomly appear on a professional friend's feed. I wear a few hats, but don't necessarily want to show off my hat collection.

I could probably nail down who sees what with groups, etc, but that seems like a chore.

A side-quirk of this nuisance is Facebook will occasionally show me comments friends have made on their friends walls that I'm locked out of commenting on should I want to. What's the point of that electronic eavesdropping?

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2017, 09:16 PM

Never cross the streams.

P
Dec 31, 2017, 06:19 AM

I have it, but rarely post. Haven’t posted in a year or so at least. It is useful to add coworkers etc when you want to keep one eye on what they’re doing.

I almost uninstalled a few months ago. As others alluded to, you now need the separate Messenger app to see messages, and Facebook has taken to taking a new message to you if you haven’t opened the app in a while. Curious about this, I went to reinstall the app. It asked for access to my contacts, which seemed reasonable for a messenger app. Suddenly Facebook starts suggesting people I knew ten years ago but never cleared out of my contacts. THAT I did not want, because I’m sure that it now suggests me to them as well. I actually used the support function to ask them to delete that info, but yeah... that didn’t happen. Uninstalled Messenger, but the main app is around - partly because I don’t want my browser to have a Facebook cookie set for tracking.

The latest is that Facebook apparently reads and uploads contents of your pasteboard (what you have copied from another app) with you actually pasting it into the app. So that’s not creepy at all... I really should uninstall that shit.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 2, 2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
My only real gripe with Facebook: It randomly shares posts with people unrelated to the group/conversation. eg: A reply I make to one of my more er, unsavoury friends posts may randomly appear on a professional friend's feed. I wear a few hats, but don't necessarily want to show off my hat collection.

I could probably nail down who sees what with groups, etc, but that seems like a chore.
https://gizmodo.com/how-facebook-out...ers-1818861596

andi*pandi
Jan 2, 2018, 05:19 PM

I use facebook, but lately my feed doesn't seem to have many actual people in it. At first it was great having family in one place (no myspace or whatever) as it does make it easier to share photos, events.

I do prefer threaded conversations like these.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2018, 05:36 PM

I have an account and check it every few days... but I literally never post anything at all... ever.

I used to upload pics so my family could see them, but I've stopped doing that as well. There just isn't anything in it for me, and I just drew a line in the sand and decided not to participate.

I find 75% of the stuff posted on there to be vapid, self-serving nonsense humble brags. There's reality, and then there is the sanitized romanticized purposfully-outward version of reality that most people feel like sharing.

It's not real life. It a projection of what they want the world to view their lives as.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2018, 07:36 PM

I only check it to zero out the badge on the iOS app.

Thorzdad
Jan 6, 2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I only check it to zero out the badge on the iOS app.
You could go into the prefs, set the app to "no notifications" and be done with the badge altogether. That's my solution to pretty much every iOS app.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2018, 02:31 PM

One out of ten times there’s something mildly interesting, so still do it manually.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2018, 09:30 AM

Saw it as a waste of time. FB looked like it was mostly populated by 11 year old girls. haven't touched it since 2009-10.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2018, 01:24 PM

They’re all 20 now.

andi*pandi
Jan 7, 2018, 01:28 PM

and what kind of groups were you in, fer cryin' out loud!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2018, 09:24 AM

If any of you have not seen or heard theses comments from those responsible for creating Facebook.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2018, 02:37 PM

Wait, holy crap...

Hey, Athens! Good to see you!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2018, 05:27 PM

When FB first started it was great getting back in touch with old friends.

Then you realized how f*d up they are and now I'm on a crusade to trim my friends list.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 26, 2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Wait, holy crap...

Hey, Athens! Good to see you!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2018, 01:05 AM

I hadn’t thought of it that way.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
When FB first started it was great getting back in touch with old friends.

Then you realized how f*d up they are and now I'm on a crusade to trim my friends list.
Facebook is becoming one of the top reasons for divorce. People hooking up with old boyfriends/girlfriends.
http://patrickmadrid.com/if-youre-ma...ook-read-this/
45/47

andi*pandi
Jan 29, 2018, 12:11 PM

I wouldn't. I've seen his pictures.

Also, please never do this:
One solution (aside from cancelling your Facebook page altogether) is to simply share one Facebook page between the two of you.
Aside from trust issues, and taking away your individuality, it makes it really difficult to plan surprise birthday parties.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I wouldn't. I've seen his pictures.
We looked up my wife’s old bf, his profile pic looked like a series killer’s mugshot.
Also, please never do this:

Aside from trust issues, and taking away your individuality, it makes it really difficult to plan surprise birthday parties.
My cousin just did that. She posted that she will be attending a suprise birthday party for one of our aunt’s who is on Facebook.
45/47

andi*pandi
Jan 29, 2018, 12:31 PM

Doh!

Forum Links
Forum Rules