Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > BETA Testers Needed!

BETA Testers Needed! (Page 2)
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Michael A. Peters:
<STRONG>

You can eject your cdrom manually.
There might also be a key combination to eject it on boot.

Anyway- there should be a pinhole you can use to activate the eject mechanism.</STRONG>
Nope, no pinhole on the Quicksilver tower. That was the first thing I looked for. Definitely time to write Apple a letter. They are far too dependent on built in and internet help. If you can't access those things, you are out of luck.

From Apple's help menu -after I could get the computer working - hold down the mouse button during restart (the one thing I hadn't tried) or press the media eject key right after the restart bong.

Thanks everyone though.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2002, 03:47 PM

I had the same problem.
I had to boot into OS9 and remove the ubero stuff.

To fix it, hold open apple (command)-s right when bootup starts, and it should boot into single user mode.

From now on I think arkham or I will handle the first test of startup scripts, since we are more likely to be able to fix our machines if a script screws up.

--Scott
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
<STRONG>I had the same problem.
I had to boot into OS9 and remove the ubero stuff.

To fix it, hold open apple (command)-s right when bootup starts, and it should boot into single user mode.

From now on I think arkham or I will handle the first test of startup scripts, since we are more likely to be able to fix our machines if a script screws up.

--Scott</STRONG>
No harm was done, just a few work units lost. I will remember the Command S for single user, and of course holding down the mouse key on startup to let me load a startup CD. Besides, I am learning a lot about OS-X by doing this project. After all, that is why it is called Beta Software. I knew I was taking my chances. For some reason, it wasn't letting me boot into OS-9 or else I would have had the problem fixed right away.

On a positive note, I am confident that the client is close to being ready for prime time. Just a few little things to fix. Otherwise it works great and it sure simplifies using the CLI for non techie types. All of Arkham's hard work will pay off.

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 09:43 AM

This is beta software, so no apologies Serously, though, I think we're getting close for RC5 and Ubero. Has anyone tested SETI? I am not confident in SETI at all, since it's only been tested on a very basic level. If someone could test SETI, I'd appreciate it.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
<STRONG>This is beta software, so no apologies Serously, though, I think we're getting close for RC5 and Ubero. Has anyone tested SETI? I am not confident in SETI at all, since it's only been tested on a very basic level. If someone could test SETI, I'd appreciate it.</STRONG>
Hey, I'm a glutton for punishment. Can't do it today, but maybe within the next 48 hours I will play with SETI.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2002, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
<STRONG> Has anyone tested SETI? I am not confident in SETI at all, since it's only been tested on a very basic level. If someone could test SETI, I'd appreciate it.</STRONG>
I finally tested the SETI setup of the config client. It went well from the beginning, and recognized my client that was already installed. When I specified the MacNN proxy, it wanted me to re-setup, which I did. Clicking on the configuration button starts the terminal and starts the SETI application after that. However, both start and stop seem to do the same thing. They both STOP the process. After restarting the computer, it did not restart SETI. I had to re-launch the config client to start it up, and then click the configuration button. It did not ask me to setup again, but appeared to simply resume operation. Didn't leave it running for long, so didn't test any long term stability or problems there. (Went back to my Ubero processing to help push us over the top.)

Hope that helps anyway. CPU was an iBook 600 w/14 in display. OS-X, 256 mb RAM. If needed, after a few more days on Ubero, I would be glad to test more.

Oh yeah! I was using beta 11.

All your hard work is appreciated Arkham_c. Thanks!!

[ 03-19-2002: Message edited by: Shaktai ]

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2002, 09:59 PM

Ok, beta 12 is here. It should help with the ubero problems, but I only tested it on my own computer. It also will run the processes as "nobody" rather than root, so if you have a previous install you may experience permissions issues. If you do, let me know. You miles may vary.

mdc beta 12

Let me know wh

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2002, 11:34 PM

Downloaded Beta 12 on both machines. On the first I simply upgraded my previous client config with no problems. I also did a restart with no problems. On the second, I actually deleted the old ubero software and used the MDC client to download and setup from scratch. I had no problems with either one. The client seemed to work flawlessly for both Ubero installs.

I haven't had a chance to test it further on SETI or RC-5. Will probably leave that to someone else for now.

jarling
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 12:24 AM

I have a question as an absolute non-techie who knows nothing about CLI (except maybe what it stands for). I am running beta version 12 and want to stop RC5 (apparently its been running since I tested a previous version a week ago). I press Stop Now and "RC5 is Running" is still in the bottom and it still remains in the Process Viewer. Any suggestions?

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2002, 03:08 AM

Why not just double click on dnetc in Process Viewer to force quit it? Or do you have it set to run at startup/periodically or something?
-- SBS --

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by jarling:
<STRONG>I have a question as an absolute non-techie who knows nothing about CLI (except maybe what it stands for). I am running beta version 12 and want to stop RC5 (apparently its been running since I tested a previous version a week ago). I press Stop Now and "RC5 is Running" is still in the bottom and it still remains in the Process Viewer. Any suggestions?</STRONG>
Sounds like a bug. Do this: Open a terminal. Type:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
ps -auxww | grep dnetc | grep -v grep
</font>[/code]

Post what you get as a result here. Maybe I messed something up and it's not properly stopping the RC5 process anymore. I made some changes so that "nobody" runs the processes, but RC5 is a little different, because you don't kill the process, you tell it to shutdown.

jarling
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 12:10 PM

Heres the result. Doesnt mean much to me. dnetc is still running in the process viewer and RC5 still shows in MDC3. Also, I cant quit it in process viewer because it is owned by root.

jeremyar% ps -auxww | grep dnetc | grep -v grep
root 232 43.4 0.2 2292 532 ?? RN 2070:46.21 /usr/local/macnn/rc5/dnetc

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by jarling:
<STRONG>Heres the result. Doesnt mean much to me. dnetc is still running in the process viewer and RC5 still shows in MDC3. Also, I cant quit it in process viewer because it is owned by root.

jeremyar% ps -auxww | grep dnetc | grep -v grep
root 232 43.4 0.2 2292 532 ?? RN 2070:46.21 /usr/local/macnn/rc5/dnetc</STRONG>
I suspect that the problem is that you started the process with beta 11, and you're trying to kill it with beta 12. In beta 11, processes were started as root, but in beta 12, they are started as "nobody". Since "nobody" can't kill a process owned by root, you're in the situation you're in.

The solution is to go to the terminal and type:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
sudo /usr/local/macnn/rc5/dnetc -shutdown
</font>[/code]

It will ask for your password. Enter it. Then see if the process is still running. When you start the process in the future using MDC3 it should start as owned by "nobody" and shutdown should work correctly.

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2002, 12:55 AM

Ok, beta 13 is out. It has a few fixes, plus multiprocessor support for SETI users. Yes, that's right!

SETI was rather screwy in the last release. I have tested this one pretty good though, so someone with an MP box that could test SETI for me would make me happy. I can only "fake" it.

Also note that SETI now puts its config files in subdirectories to allow for MP functionality. All that means is you need to "configure" SETI again before you try to use it.

mdc_b13.sit

Michael A. Peters
Mar 23, 2002, 01:03 AM

You should be able to symlink the configure files and the binaries from one directory to the other.

If you use ln -sf

then you can even create the config file symlinks before the config files exist.

Just don't symlink the work unit5 data files
Don't take candy from strangers

<howyoudoin>
Mar 23, 2002, 03:39 AM

Now if I use this program will it in any way speed up seti, ubero, or rc5 at all or is it better to just run those programs without this?

i have a pb550
Josiah

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2002, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by &lt;howyoudoin&gt;:
<STRONG>Now if I use this program will it in any way speed up seti, ubero, or rc5 at all or is it better to just run those programs without this?

i have a pb550
Josiah</STRONG>
For ubero, it will probably speed it up, as it uses some tweaks that have been written.
For SETI it won't do much if you are using the CLI, but will if you are using the GUI.
For RC5, it won't.

However, it will make it run more if you set it to run at bootup, which enables you to do more work each day.

--Scott
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2002, 05:59 AM

My list of bugs.

Ubero:
1. told it to install and DLed without it ever authenticating, but it did DL.
2. It still doesn't remove the ubero aliases from the desktop after the installer puts em in.
3. Put a pause in after I hit run ubero client for the first time, when it runs to configure it. It goes to the next screen before the ubero app is even loaded, and can be a bit confusing. A 30 second or so pause should work.
4. It didn't ask what directory I installed in. I installed in a different one the /apps/ubero, and it didn't know that. This renders the whole rest useless, so I can't really test anymore.

SETI
1. Again, didn't authenticate.
2. I hit DL, and 3 seconds later was at the successfully installed screen. It should say downloaded, not installed. Also, it doesn't seem like it should have gone that fast, could others test? My net connection just may have been having a really good day.
3. For the "configure seti" button, it never told me what to do after I set it up. [dumb user mode] what do I do now, it's running.[/dumb user mode].
4. where do I set dual procs at?
5. Update configuration needs to be made more clear that you have to hit that button also, I think. Others, do you think this needs doing?
6. I hit "start now" it said it was running for about 3 seconds, then stopped. 'top -u' doesn't show it.

RC5:
1. Under the configuration panel, it has my email address in already. Where did it get that from?
2. "Fetch enough work for how many hours" should be "Buffer enough ..."
3. The "this is a laptop" option should be explained a little better, somewhere.
4. Hitting "update buffers" give me the SWOD for about 20 seconds, before unlocking again. (threading issue?)

Overall stuff. I'll work on UI later, once the meat of the app is done.
I like the "Why Join Team MacNN" thing at the top, although the button needs changing to "of course I'll join"

Enjoy.

--Scott
My website

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2002, 11:10 AM

<STRONG>My list of bugs.

Ubero:
1. told it to install and DLed without it ever authenticating, but it did DL.
2. It still doesn't remove the ubero aliases from the desktop after the installer puts em in.
3. Put a pause in after I hit run ubero client for the first time, when it runs to configure it. It goes to the next screen before the ubero app is even loaded, and can be a bit confusing. A 30 second or so pause should work.
4. It didn't ask what directory I installed in. I installed in a different one the /apps/ubero, and it didn't know that. This renders the whole rest useless, so I can't really test anymore.
</STRONG>

You already have a preferences file, so it used it. Delete the prefs file before you start. This will fix all but #3. I can add a pause if it's needed, but that will be kind of kludgy.

<STRONG>
SETI
1. Again, didn't authenticate.
2. I hit DL, and 3 seconds later was at the successfully installed screen. It should say downloaded, not installed. Also, it doesn't seem like it should have gone that fast, could others test? My net connection just may have been having a really good day.
3. For the "configure seti" button, it never told me what to do after I set it up. [dumb user mode] what do I do now, it's running.[/dumb user mode].
4. where do I set dual procs at?
5. Update configuration needs to be made more clear that you have to hit that button also, I think. Others, do you think this needs doing?
6. I hit "start now" it said it was running for about 3 seconds, then stopped. 'top -u' doesn't show it.
</STRONG>

It downloads and then auto-installs. If the install were not so fast, you would see "download completed".

You can't set dual processors. I call CarbonLib and ask it how many processors you have. If you want to fake it, you can hold "command control shift" when clicking the "update configuration" button in SETI, and it will pretend you have 2 if you don't. If you really have 2, it will just know.

I think the "update configuration" is a bad UI. We should probably fix that. Maybe quit and start and stop should auto-update the configuration if it has changed.

Start then stop is probably because you had previous installs lying around with weird permissions. Try deleting your installs and try again.

<STRONG>
RC5:
1. Under the configuration panel, it has my email address in already. Where did it get that from?
2. "Fetch enough work for how many hours" should be "Buffer enough ..."
3. The "this is a laptop" option should be explained a little better, somewhere.
4. Hitting "update buffers" give me the SWOD for about 20 seconds, before unlocking again. (threading issue?)
</STRONG>

You probably put your email in previously. It gets saved in the preferences.

Buffer is not a term non-geeks understand. Maybe fetch is the wrong word, but buffer is not good either.

Did you look at the "help" when you point at the laptop config? Is that not sufficient?

Update may not be set to run asynchronously. I'll look into it.
<STRONG>

Overall stuff. I'll work on UI later, once the meat of the app is done.
I like the "Why Join Team MacNN" thing at the top, although the button needs changing to "of course I'll join"

</STRONG>

doughboyj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2002, 11:32 AM

alright here are some problems with beta 13, i've downloaded earlier versions so I don't know if that will mess this thing up.

Alright downloaded and installed everything perfectly but now when I try to start any of the programs nothing happens it claims its not running. I'll click ubero and it says its running for a sec then says it isn't ,so nothing works.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2002, 03:48 PM

Ok, where are these preference files I need to delete?
My website

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2002, 09:42 PM

<STRONG>Ok, where are these preference files I need to delete?</STRONG>
~/Library/Preferences/MDC3Config.plist

I have a shell script that basically "cleans up" any hint of the MDC app if you want it for testing. It looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

echo <font color = red>"Enter your password"</font>
read password

cd /Library/StartupItems

itemlist=<font color = red>"seti rc5 ubero"</font>
for item in $itemlist
do
if [ -d <font color = red>"$item"</font> ]; then
echo $password | sudo -S rm -rf $item
fi
done

if [ -d <font color = red>"/usr/local/macnn"</font> ]; then
echo $password | sudo -S rm -rf /usr/local/macnn
fi

cd ~/
if [ -f <font color = red>"Library/Preferences/MDC3Config.plist"</font> ]; then
rm -f <font color = red>"Library/Preferences/MDC3Config.plist"</font>
fi
</font>[/code]

jarling
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2002, 11:09 PM

RC5 for some reason decided to start running on its own (Run at startup was not selected).

When I press "stop now" (or start now, for that matter) I get an error message saying "Error: dnetc: Unable to initialize timers."

When I press "Update Buffers" I get "Error: Password: dnetc: Unable to initialize timers."

Any help here?

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 09:39 AM

.... Bump .....

Just wanted our new folks to be aware of MDC3, especially for the SETI team. Just remember that it is Beta software.

Arkham_c, how are things going with getting that replacement power adapter?

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: Shaktai ]

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 01:04 PM

My iBook is back in working order. I just need to find some time to work on it.

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 10:56 AM

All right... here are some requests for the dFold section of the program:

1) Let's have this baby restart daily. I'm not sure if this is possible since just killing the app causes you to lose a lot of data, but maybe we can figure out a way. This restarting is necessary because of the memory leak that eventually clogs the system.

2) You can set the client to auto-update itself when necessary (it won't ask the user for confirmation). This is incredibly useful for computers that you don't have constant access to when a new protein comes. Details on how to get it to work are in the dFold readme that comes with the client.

Crunch Something

jbcool
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by The_Equivocator:
<STRONG>All right... here are some requests for the dFold section of the program:

1) Let's have this baby restart daily. I'm not sure if this is possible since just killing the app causes you to lose a lot of data, but maybe we can figure out a way. This restarting is necessary because of the memory leak that eventually clogs the system.

2) You can set the client to auto-update itself when necessary (it won't ask the user for confirmation). This is incredibly useful for computers that you don't have constant access to when a new protein comes. Details on how to get it to work are in the dFold readme that comes with the client.</STRONG>
These issues have come up before and I have not found the thread yet.
I will post my crontab file if I can't hunt down the thread that addresses the #1 issue.

Looks like you have figured out the #2 issue.
Tag ur it.

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by jbcool:
<STRONG>

These issues have come up before and I have not found the thread yet.
I will post my crontab file if I can't hunt down the thread that addresses the #1 issue.

Looks like you have figured out the #2 issue.</STRONG>
I'm perfectly aware that these issues can be overcome without the use of the Team MacNN client setup program. I just thought that they would be nice additions...

Crunch Something

jbcool
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 11:43 AM

<STRONG>

I'm perfectly aware that these issues can be overcome without the use of the Team MacNN client setup program. I just thought that they would be nice additions...</STRONG>
Then may I suggest that you post them in them over at the Free-DC site in the forum for distrubted folding. That is what Howard (Brain the Fist) reads and responds to. And he does an excellent job of trying to address all the concerns.
Tag ur it.

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by jbcool:
<STRONG>

Then may I suggest that you post them in them over at the Free-DC site in the forum for distrubted folding. That is what Howard (Brain the Fist) reads and responds to. And he does an excellent job of trying to address all the concerns.</STRONG>
He's already aware about the memory leak, so there's no need to pester him about it unless I know of ways he could go about fixing it.

As far as having the client update itself without user confirmation... Why should I bring this up to him? The dFold client already does this, as stated in the readme. You just have to create a textfile with one line of text and drop it in the dFold folder. I just thought it would be nice to have an option for this in the Team Setup Utility. Nothing I brought up really needs to be addressed to Howard.

Crunch Something

jbcool
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 11:57 AM

<STRONG>

He's already aware about the memory leak, so there's no need to pester him about it unless I know of ways he could go about fixing it.

As far as having the client update itself without user confirmation... Why should I bring this up to him? The dFold client already does this, as stated in the readme. You just have to create a textfile with one line of text and drop it in the dFold folder. I just thought it would be nice to have an option for this in the Team Setup Utility. Nothing I brought up really needs to be addressed to Howard.</STRONG>
I guess I am confused why you even brought it up in the first place then.
Sorry I responded to your first post.
Good day.
Tag ur it.

synergy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2002, 11:10 AM

Is there any fix yet for the Ubero quitting on its own problem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules