Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Straw Poll Questions

Straw Poll Questions
Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 01:17 PM

I was putting together some questions for a political poll. The goal of the poll is simply to do correlations between supposed political offiliations and actual issues.

I'd like for all the questions to be non-biased (not favoring one side of the issue over the other). Here are my questions so far:

Political Straw Poll

1 Political Affiliation
- Republican
- Democrat
- Green
- Libertarian
- Independent
- Other

2 Abortion
- Pro Life (do not allow them)
- Pro Choice (allow them)
- Don't Care

3 Social Security
- Shore it up
- Ditch it
- Reinvent it in some new form

4 Privatize Social Security
- Do it
- Do NOT do it
- Don't Care

5 Vouchers for students in failing Public Schools
- Good idea
- Bad idea
- Don't Care

6 Death Penalty
- In Favor
- Against

7 Digital Milennium Copyright Act (DMCA)
- Good
- Bad

8 Patriot Act
- Good
- Bad

Please provide feedback. Are any of these loaded questions? What mainstream political issues should I address that I have not already?

Thanks for your assistance.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

dtriska
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 07:07 PM

The only thing I notice is that, short of question three, all of the first answers are conservative answers. There's some sort of rule about the ordering of answers in cases like this to ensure fair questions, but I don't know what it is.

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
The only thing I notice is that, short of question three, all of the first answers are conservative answers. There's some sort of rule about the ordering of answers in cases like this to ensure fair questions, but I don't know what it is.
How are they conservative answers? Yes or No or Who Cares... So if you agree, you are conservative. If you disagree, you are conservative. If you do not care, then once again, you are conservative. Wow! Lots of us conservative people around here!

I think those are some good questions. Maybe mix up the ordering just to make people like them better...

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
I think those are some good questions. Maybe mix up the ordering just to make people like them better...
There will be a programatic solution -- the questions presented will be in random order, and the answers will be in random order as well for each question.

I still feel like I need more questions. What issues are hot-button topics right now that I've forgotten?
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Tokencon
Banned
May 8, 2004, 08:36 AM

It is typical of the Left to pose things in this simplisitc manner....

Patriot Act: Good? Bad? Puhlease. A little more context. A little more detail.

Abortion: Allow? Disallow? This is a Playbook Libbie questions intended to make conservatives look bad by not offering enough "choice." There is no RATIONAL conservative who would disallow ALL abortions. A better question is: Susie is 19 years old. This is her fourth pregnancy. She has two darling little children who live with a lovely foster family. Since Susie can't seem to keep her legs closed, she wants to have Planned Parenthood scrape some useless "tissue" out of her uterus; this tumor has been growing there for about 30 weeks now.... Should Susie be allowed to get a scrape before she goes back out and rolls back on her heels for the next guy who comes along?
Yes
No

That would be a good question in a poll.

Tokenconservative

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 09:37 AM

It is typical of the Left to pose things in this simplisitc manner....
Must resist....
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

angaq0k
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Must resist....
You have all my support.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules