Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Republicans face trouble for illegal amnesty support

Republicans face trouble for illegal amnesty support
steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 09:53 PM

The GOP has lost its way, and will pay
By Douglas MacKinnon
Originally published April 26, 2006

WASHINGTON // A number of Republicans, including me, lately have been asking ourselves: What has become of our party and why has it lost its moral and ideological compass?
A more telling question and statement may have been made by my South American wife with regard to certain Republican members of Congress who support guest-worker legislation for millions of illegal aliens.

As a newly minted and very proud U.S. citizen, she said, "What's wrong with those people? They are spitting in my face and the face of every immigrant who came into this country legally, paid our dues, did all of our paperwork and played by the rules. They can call it whatever they want, but it's amnesty for lawbreakers. I can tell you one thing, when I do get to vote for the first time in my new country, it won't be for the Republican Party."

Certain undeniable facts make it hard for me to talk her out of her position.

One such example is the blatant, greed-induced corruption practiced by certain Republican members of Congress and lobbyists, which has been purposely ignored by much of the Republican leadership until it reached critical mass and blew up in their complicit faces.

----------------------------------------------------

Helmling
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 10:15 PM

I don't know the circumstances of your South American wife's arrival in this country, but I'd wager that if she was able to "pay her dues" at all, then she probably wasn't much like these poor illegals who do menial farm labor so that Americans can enjoy cheap produce or any of the other low-wage jobs that millions of Americans benefit from.

My wife is Mexican, but like most middle and upper class Mexicans in the border region she has always had American citizenship. When her parents wanted to come over there was no problem. We sponsored them, we all went through the motions, no big deal.

If it was that simple for poor Mexicans and South Americans looking for work then we wouldn't have an issue. The unpleasant truth is that the system is geared so that it is NOT that easy for them because there is an economic motive to keep illegals illegal.

So if I were you, I'd tell my wife, "Honey, there was no other way for these people to enter the country. There was no line they were ever going to be allowed to get into. What there was was a side door that's always been open, but conveniently off the books so that we can have cheap labor with no real labor rights. And that's just not right. So we should set up a program to allow these people to have some dignity and a fair shake at the American dream, because they're no more law breakers than those who have employed them--which indirectly is almost every single American."

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 10:22 PM

That was a reprint from an article, not from me.
In addition, its a false canard that mexicans can't enter the country legally, in fact its ridiculous.
The US lets in 1 million immgrants per year legally, and the largest group are Mexicans! In fact, due to the idiotic chain immgration whereby immigrants with ties to someone in this country get beneficial treatement, that will not change anytime soon.
The fact is that mexicans can immigrate to the US easier than any other country in the world.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 10:26 PM

Man, I'm telling you. I live right here. I see the reality. Would these people save for years to pay these human smugglers if there was a legal channel available to them?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2006, 11:25 PM

Yes.

Because the illegal channel is faster.

The real question is "would these people save for years to pay these human smugglers if there was a good chance they would end up serving time in American prisons on a felony conviction for violating our immigration laws?"

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2006, 12:48 AM

I'm Republican and I am pissed. What the hell is going on. The May 1st boycott by illegal aliens is a terrorist act and should be dealt with using the military to round up these terrorists. It is Economic Terrorism.

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
I'm Republican and I am pissed. What the hell is going on. The May 1st boycott by illegal aliens is a terrorist act and should be dealt with using the military to round up these terrorists. It is Economic Terrorism.
And anyone who supports these terrorists should be shot!

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2006, 03:57 AM

Well, the Republicans may be upset but they may as well get over it. There is NO way that EITHER party will address this issue responsibly with such a large and ever-growing hispanic voter base. Period.

They will likely drag this process out interminably until the fickle public is no longer interested and THEN pass legislation that is a watered-down waste of time with no balls behind it to enforce it.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 28, 2006, 07:29 AM

What no one in here screaming about the Rule 8 violation? I see the usual suspects are nowhere to be found in this one.

Rumor
Apr 28, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
Yes.

Because the illegal channel is faster.

The real question is "would these people save for years to pay these human smugglers if there was a good chance they would end up serving time in American prisons on a felony conviction for violating our immigration laws?"
IIRC correctly, there is test that must be passed to be granted citizenship. It covers use of the english language, US history and a few other things I can't remember. Also, IIRC this test isn't all that easy either.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Well, the Republicans may be upset but they may as well get over it. There is NO way that EITHER party will address this issue responsibly with such a large and ever-growing hispanic voter base. Period.

They will likely drag this process out interminably until the fickle public is no longer interested and THEN pass legislation that is a watered-down waste of time with no balls behind it to enforce it.
Excellent point, and totally true. I've dropped my Republican status because of countless instances just like this. When the retention of power trumps the good of the country, then it's time that I consider myself fully independent. If only the Libertarian Party had a fighting chance...

Originally Posted by Kevin
What no one in here screaming about the Rule 8 violation? I see the usual suspects are nowhere to be found in this one.
Only if the topic starter's name starts with "Jaw," ends with "bone," and the article is extremely conservative in nature.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
IIRC correctly, there is test that must be passed to be granted citizenship. It covers use of the english language, US history and a few other things I can't remember. Also, IIRC this test isn't all that easy either.
What's pretty pathetic is that most U.S. citizens with a high school degree can't even pass this test.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Helmling
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
What's pretty pathetic is that most U.S. citizens with a high school degree can't even pass this test.
Some of those questions/answers are overly simplistic. Example, #55, "Why did Pilgrims come to America?" and their answer is "For religious freedom." While I suppose that's technically not wrong, it sure isn't a good answer.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2006, 06:51 PM

You are just bunch of whining white people

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling
Some of those questions/answers are overly simplistic. Example, #55, "Why did Pilgrims come to America?" and their answer is "For religious freedom." While I suppose that's technically not wrong, it sure isn't a good answer.
Doesn't bode well for U.S. primary education, though.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 02:22 AM

Why is this a question?

#82. Name one purpose of the United Nations?

Answer is funny though.

For countries to discuss world problems; to provide economic aid to countries; occasionally take action.

(my emphasis)

idjeff
Senior User
May 1, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by maxx9photo
You are just bunch of whining white people
Umm....excuse me?

Racist comment here?

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by idjeff
Umm....excuse me?

Racist comment here?
He's making fun of this thread.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2006, 11:37 PM

Speaking of high school students, 40% of Mexican immigrants drop out of high school. Supporters of illegals may want to rethink the brilliance of this being the largest group of immigrants into the country.
Our collective IQ is dropping as we speak.

Let them go home and reapply like everyone else. There are people from all over the world waiting to immigrate to the U.S.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by steve666
Speaking of high school students, 40% of Mexican immigrants drop out of high school.
Wrong, that's 40% of Hispanics, as in non-white Spanish Speaking (people not from Spain), as well as Alaskan/American natives. That would include peoples from Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and various countries of Central and South America, as well as a few from Canada.

Supporters of illegals may want to rethink the brilliance of this being the largest group of immigrants into the country.
As usual, nay sayers should understand what's going on before jumping onto the hate bandwagon.

Our collective IQ is dropping as we speak.
Maybe it also has something to do with the severely underfunded and misappropriated "No Child Left Behind?"

Let them go home and reapply like everyone else. There are people from all over the world waiting to immigrate to the U.S.
A lot of them are, but if you're Mexican or Filipino, the wait is as much as 20 years if you have children.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2006, 06:28 PM

Wrong, that's 40% of Hispanics, as in non-white Spanish Speaking (people not from Spain), as well as Alaskan/American natives. That would include peoples from Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and various countries of Central and South America, as well as a few from Canada.

As usual, nay sayers should understand what's going on before jumping onto the hate bandwagon.

Maybe it also has something to do with the severely underfunded and misappropriated "No Child Left Behind?"

A lot of them are, but if you're Mexican or Filipino, the wait is as much as 20 years if you have children.
And the percentage of Mexicans out of all latinos is?.........
The high school dropout rate of mexicn immigrants is alarming. The fact that you attempt to blame the Govmnt for it shows where you are coming from. The other immigrant groups are going to the same low income schools and graduating at a much higher rate.
And if theres a 20 yr wait for Mexicans to immigrate legally that would only be because there are so many mexicans who want to immigrate.
The MAJORITY of legal immigrants to the US are Mexicans.

Forum Links
Forum Rules