Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Equation Editors?

Equation Editors?
finboy
Sep 26, 2006, 05:44 PM

A similar thread was closed down in the Lounge. Forgive me if it's here and I didn't see it.

What do folks use for equations, aside from the Word Equation Editor?

I suggested MathType, but I've never used it and don't know if it works with OS X or not. It did NOT work, to my knowledge, with OS 9 or earlier.

I mentioned LaTex in the other thread, too. What are people's impressions of THAT solution.

Thanks for your time.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2006, 10:06 PM

I use Grapher. It ships with every copy of OS X Tiger...look in your Utilities folder. Just start a new equation. All of the symbols you need are in the Equation palette (under the Window menu).

Chris

finboy  (op)
Sep 27, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
I use Grapher. It ships with every copy of OS X Tiger...look in your Utilities folder. Just start a new equation. All of the symbols you need are in the Equation palette (under the Window menu).

Chris
I'm still using Panther, but I'm sure it will be a help to others. What format is the output?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 03:28 PM

The Edit menu contains a regular Copy command, but it also contains Copy As... which gives you the choice of TIFF, PDF, EPS, or as a LaTeX expression.

Chris

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Dec 19, 2006, 10:21 PM

I like MathType, esp. the plugin that makes inserting and referencing numbered equations in MS Word quite easy. What I don't like is the inherent ability of embedded objects to corrupt Word documents (which is, as I understand it, a (non)function of MS Word and not the MathType, since embedded Excel files and other images are susceptible to corruption as well.)

I thought I read about using MathType with NeoOffice/OpenOffice, but I can't get it to work. I thought you could insert an OLE object and MathType equation would pop up as an option, but I can't make that happen.

Has anybody figure out how to make MathType to work with NeoOffice?

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 11:40 PM

Certainly worth learning LaTeX/TeX. TeXShop is your friend.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules