Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chicago Vacation - What to do?

Chicago Vacation - What to do?
Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 01:13 AM

Hi Y'all,

I'm going to Chi-Town for the Pitchfork Music Festival in Union Park in July 19th (I'll be there from the 16th thru 23rd). Don't really know so much about Chicago... any locals willing to share some secrets with me or possibly meet up for beers?

I won't be going to Cubs games because they are out of town. Might go to a White Sox game for the novelty. Thanks.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post
Hi Y'all,

I'm going to Chi-Town for the Pitchfork Music Festival in Union Park.
From the impression I have of you: you will be happiest going out in Wicker Park/Bucktown at night.

Unless of course you are looking for full out clubs then head to the River North area. Underground, Stone Lotus, and Manor are prob your best bets in that case.

There's plenty of tourist stuff to do that you will find once you get here so I am sure you will stumble onto what you like. Unlike the people we get from Iowa or Nebraska as tourists the big city hoopla shouldn't be necessary for you coming from NY. Just cover Millennium Park, an architectural tour, and hit our regional cuisine.

There's always the street festivals http://chicago.metromix.com/events/a...339943/content around the city but since you are going to a concert festival it may be redundant.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2008, 02:03 AM

WTF Captain Obvious? The obvious answer is:
Wish your vacation was someplace else.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 10:52 AM

My personal favorite thing to do is marvel at the fact that the entire city has two levels of streets. I mean seriously, wtf?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 11:31 AM

Chicago is a great place. We try and go there at least once a year. Take a look at the city museum, chronicling the history of the place. Very fun.

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
From the impression I have of you: you will be happiest going out in Wicker Park/Bucktown at night.
This is where the indie-music kids hang out? Sort of like the lower-east side in Manhattan?

Can anybody list like a restaurant or 2 that I probably should visit (not like a 4 star restaurant but more like a "Ray's Famous Pizza" in NYC " or a "Gino's Chesesteak" in Philly.

BTW, thanks all... very helpful!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 12:37 PM

Make sure you get a beef sandwich from either Portillo's (lots of those around the city) or Mr. Beef (not as many, but more authentic). I live on the other side of the country, and I'll order Portillo's over the Internet from time to time, that's how good it is.

Oh, and its pretty much a safe bet to get a Chicago style hot dog from any place downtown. Those will always be good.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 02:05 PM

This is where the indie-music kids hang out? Sort of like the lower-east side in Manhattan?

Can anybody list like a restaurant or 2 that I probably should visit (not like a 4 star restaurant but more like a "Ray's Famous Pizza" in NYC " or a "Gino's Chesesteak" in Philly.

The wife (an Illinois native), says go here: http://www.giordanos.com/. Ed Debevic's too. Apparently the waiters yell at you and this is something that they actually consider a good thing out there...

And of course there's always this place: http://www.billygoattavern.com/home.html Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger!

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
The wife (an Illinois native), says go here: http://www.giordanos.com/. Ed Debevic's too. Apparently the waiters yell at you and this is something that they actually consider a good thing out there...

And of course there's always this place: http://www.billygoattavern.com/home.html Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger!
Billy Goat is good although kind of a novelty.

For Pizza, hands down - Lou Malnati's. It beats giordanos, gino's, uno, etc. Have fun!

Oh - and while Wrigley has the historic aspect to it, the Sox play in a much nicer ballpark - you'll enjoy it if you go. Go Sox!

[Braces for Wrigley defenders...]

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 07:04 PM

Boo Sox! Go Cubbies!

(although I do miss Comiskey park )

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 9, 2008, 07:19 PM

Ain't there some kind of big ol' interesting aquarium in that there windy city? Girl I know interned there, says it's neat.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 07:20 PM

The Shedd Aquarium, went there two years ago. Great view of the city from outside too.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 08:11 PM

Soul Vegetarian on the south side serves all vegan soul food. ****ing fantastic (if you have the proclvity to each such things).

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 08:48 PM

It was. It still has those elements that run through the area but like a lot of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown its been regentrified over the last 10 years. Wicker Park will still draw that demographic in but the art and music community that can't afford to live in Wicker Park now is split from Pilsen on the south side to Lincoln Square (not Lincoln Park) and Uptown (where the Riv and Aragon are at) on the north side. Given the proximity of Wicker Park/Bucktown to that concert festival it will probably be where most of those people will congregate after. I am 1000% sure those people won't be on Division Street drinking. That is where the tourists and suburban people come to.

You can discount pretty much any recommendation of where to eat that isn't downtown or on the near north side (Wrigley being the farthest) because you won't make it there. 90% of the transplants and/or tourists to the city don't travel south of 12th street unless its to go to Sox park or the Museum of Science and Industry and then they head right back to the center of the city after. If you don't have a car it reduces the odds to almost zero you will want to make a trip just to eat at one of these places.

You didn't say where you are staying but assuming its on Michigan Ave or downtown you can walk to the clubs I mentioned before and the dining options are numerous and geared towards tourists.

Our bar/clubs scenes are numerous and concentrated in several pockets so if there is something in particular you are looking for spell it out.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Jul 9, 2008 at 09:09 PM. )

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
the entire city has two levels of streets. I mean seriously, wtf?
What the hell are you talking about? The only street that has two levels is Wacker drive and then that is only for a short distance.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
For Pizza, hands down - Lou Malnati's. It beats giordanos, gino's, uno, etc. Have fun!
Seriously? I'd agree with you about it being better than UNO, but not the rest of those. Lou's isn't bad, but I'd take Giordano's or Gino's East over it anyday.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Railroader
Banned
Jul 9, 2008, 09:07 PM

What the hell are you talking about? The only street that has two levels is Wacker drive and then that is only for a short distance.
Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multile...ets_in_Chicago

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
What a completely misleading article. There's a labyrinth of a half dozen streets that are mostly service entrances to buildings that split off Wacker and LSD feed off into. But I invite anyone to walk down there at night or even during the day and see how comfortable they feel as a pedestrian.
Its hardly the entire city. Its not even technically part of the Loop area.
I don't know of anyone who considers that a tourist attraction.

They also seem to include part of the River Walk and Pedway on that map which people here consider something altogether different.

climber
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 10:07 PM

As a former Chicago resident, I would recommend two restaurants. The first is Uno's for pizza. Some will argue others are better, but most do not represent true "Chicago style" pizza. By that I mean deep dish pizza that takes a full hour to cook in establishment that has been cooking them for close to a hundred years. You place your pizza order and wait for a table. A lot of people are disappointed, but then they order something silly like a stuffed veggi pizza. Keep it simple and order the traditional meat styles. I myself am partial to Cheese and Sausage. Go here if you want to gorge yourself with fat and calories and appreciate tradition.

My favorite restaurant , by far in the entire city is the Greek Islands. I have been eating there for nearly 35 years, Truly something special with authentic world class cuisine, If you love greek salads, order a small "hillbilly salad" (the standard salad is an americanized version with lettuce. The lamb, fish and chicken are to die for. Usually we go with lots of people and order family style and just start passing stuff around. That way I get to sample a little of everything.
climber

Chaos Theory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 01:08 AM

It's windy isn't it?

Beware of dark places. It's where I hang out.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 01:29 AM

Thanks, all your posts are very very very helpful.

Looks like I'll be:

- Visiting Wicker Park
Is this walkable from downtown? It's close to Union Park but would somebody walk from E Monroe (My hotel is the Palmer House - Hilton) to there? Or the "Loop"? This is where I am guessing I'm going to get drunk every night. I'm not interested in "Clubs" like where DJs spin but I like the live-music bar scene.

- Visiting Bucktown
This looks kinda far and public transportation is not represented there as much. Is that true? How are the subways in this town? Will I be cabbing it a lot based on my interests?

- Eating below, checking out 12th street?
I'm from NYC so I hate tourist-ey places. I want to go down there and check out ethnic restaurants and experience "real" Chicago.

- Going to Chisox game
Cubs are out and I'll probably peep them just for fun before I go

- Try a Deep Dish Pizza and Chicago Hot dog
(restaurants TBD, but since I'm a glutton probably several)

- Check out the touristy cultural stuff like the Shedd Aquarium

I'm going to look for a indie music store too and go there and wing it that night based on flyers, what they're excited about and etc.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 05:59 AM

- Visiting Wicker Park
Is this walkable from downtown

Not unless you like very long walks.

There should be a Blue line subway station near your hotel, (literally right on the Dearborn street side of your hotel) which you can take to the Damen stop, right in the heart of Wicker Park.

- Try a Deep Dish Pizza and Chicago Hot dog
(restaurants TBD, but since I'm a glutton probably several)

I should tell you that if you put ketchup on it, it is no longer a Chicago hot dog, and there is more than one place that will refuse to do so, or at least see it as license to give you a hard time.

Edit: as for museums, I almost have to insist you go to the Art Institute, which is down the block from your hotel.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 10, 2008 at 07:37 AM. )

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 11:20 AM

Wicker park and bucktown now blend together. Taking the blue line train from the Jackson stop (near your hotel) to the Damon stop will take you to the north end of Wicker Park (think Real World Chicago house) and it will leave you near North Ave. It is the heart of the area but also the most regentrified home-wise. I suggest for the sake of transportation and so you don't get lost that you stay around there. Google for a place called the Double Door. It sounds like what you are looking for. Its most like a cousin of CBGB. If nothing else the people it draws will be better suited to guide you to the places you want to hang out. If you want to pick up chicks try this place called Cans which is not too far from there. If you look at metromix it will give you a map with the local bars that surround this area so you can check out the prospects.

The blueline in the opposite direction can also take you to the UIC stop. From that stop you can see Greektown to the north and the UIC campus so the southwest. On the other side of of campus is Taylor street. That's like our little Italy. Marios Italian ice and Al's beef are across from each other. Beyond that you can walk west as far as Ashland and find more restaurants. Honestly coming from NY i don't know how much different the ethnic flavor may be but if that's what you want then knock yourself out. The only community that is bigger than anything you will find in NY is the Poles, Swedes, and Germans.And to get to those places its a good 20 minute drive in different directions. Pilsen however is a 10 min cab ride away if you want mexican. Again, metromix is your friend.

For the sake of distance and not sending people to every corner of the city you are best off going for pizza in the area near north Michigan Ave and hotdogs at the Portillos also there. Yes, its across from the Hard Rock which gives you an indication of the level of tourism but I see no need for a person to head farther than that for what they are looking to get. If you really want to hit something unique to Chicago that is within reason to travel to then try here: http://www.jimsoriginal.com/ and get a Polish
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Jul 10, 2008 at 11:36 AM. )

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 11:24 AM

Don't forget the Michigan Ave Apple store!

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 12:44 PM

Excellent tips.

This is great, I pretty much have a rough plan for what I want to do there.

Here's a dumb question... is it worth going to a lake to like swim/sunbathe? Is there actually a beach kind of, sort of near Chicago worth visiting?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 01:18 PM

Yes, there are beaches. They were native to the area but are now man-supported by bringing in sand because of the break wall and the other things that interfere with it depositing naturally. They are cleaner than yours but not as good as ones in places like FL. In fact the better beaches are on the opposite shore in Indiana across from chicago. They are a world better because of weather patterns that deposited huge sand dunes there.
I live about 3 blocks from Oak Street beach which lends itself to JAPs and teenage girls from the burbs who take the train into the city. On the plus side its got a bar on it. On the negative side its got tourists due to the fact its right off north Michigan Ave and the hotel/shopping district. There's a beach closer to you near the museum campus. Its more prone to families because parking is cheaper. It is also smaller. The largest beach on the north side of the city is North Ave beach which is more 20-something midwestern college grads because its adjacent to Lincoln Park. Oak and North Ave have volleyball courts and all have bike/running path along the shoreline.

I can see why people from the Midwest would make a trip out to these beaches but with only a handful of days in the city I wouldn't make it someplace to spend a whole afternoon at. Ride/walk/run past them or get a drink at Castaways and I think you can see what you need to of our beaches.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Jul 10, 2008 at 01:41 PM. )

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 01:19 PM

Excellent tips.

This is great, I pretty much have a rough plan for what I want to do there.

Here's a dumb question... is it worth going to a lake to like swim/sunbathe? Is there actually a beach kind of, sort of near Chicago worth visiting?
Yes - there are a couple of nice beaches - Oak St. Beach and North Ave. Beach - both north of the loop area along the lakeshore. Also not far from the very touristy Navy Pier.

Lake Michigan water temperatures should just about be hitting 70 degrees this time of year!

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2008, 01:35 AM

Thank you everybody for the advice. I went from Wednesday to Wednesday (7/16 to 7/23) and had a awesome time.

• Quick notes:
- Very interesting to compare NY to Chicago
- From NYC "subways" to Chicago's "el" or "L"... they're similar but equally noisy and dirty and filled with weirdos.
- Chicago is smaller than NYC for sure
- The "Beef" is the best thing of the local treats I ate there
- May possibly be a even bigger sports city than NY
- Chicago is indeed windy. I enjoyed the wind since it was the summer but I imagine it must be like invisible death passing by you in winter.
- There are lots of great old city remnants throughout Chicago that are great and that's something NYC is losing

• The food:
- The "beef" is absolutely delicious. The thinly sliced beef that has been cooked with garlic and spices and put in a roll with it's juices. It's unbelievable juicy when you bite into it. My favorite of the "3".
- The hot dog was good too. I like hot dogs in general and I think this is a nice sized, juicy dog. I'll say it's better than a NYC dog, like at Grey's or Papaya King (too thin) but this to me is like too much stuff on a hot dog. They put a huge vertical slice of pickle as well as tomatoes, onions and mustard. Overload of stuff IMO but good in general.
- Deep dish was excellent. I went to Lou Malnati's and enjoyed a butter crust special with lots of fresh ingredients. Very very tasty. To me, this may be a specialty in Chicago and tasted great but thin crust NYC pizza is the real deal.

• The city itself:
- Loved the size. I felt like I visited a lot of it in just 7 days.
- "2 levels of streets" - I saw so little of this that I have no idea what nonhuman is referring to. The city's street levels are regular from my estimation.
- O'Hare is a nice airport. Pretty close to the city.
- The "el" is nice. Pretty simple to understand. Because it sometimes goes into a U shape that it can confuse people because the street names are repeated. It's not brain surgery though. They often separate by saying "Loop" when nexessary
- Chinatown is pretty cute and clean. NYC Chinatown is the biggest and SF is the nicest but I have a healthy respect for Chi's chinatown
- I didn't go to the Southside but judging by the doom and gloom I get from the locals, I was happy I stayed the hell outta there at all costs. Even in NYC I never receive such emphatic warnings of doom.
- Museums are cool in general. My fav was the Field and Art Institute. The MCA and Shedd to me were average. The Shedd to me is definitely yawn worthy unless you're a kid or something. If you want nice museums, all the NYC museums beat the Chicago museums. Comparing MoMa to the MCA is not even close. MoMa is probably the best contemporary art museum in America.

• Decisions I made:
- Billy Goat Tavern, I decided not to visit one I saw because it looked like a chain. I went for real local places where I saw real Chicago people frequent.
- Giordano's seemed like it was too close the Loop and Millennium Park and serving a different sort of clientele (tourists and white collar workers). Lou Malnati's was near Merchandise Mart and a little bit more offset and I'm glad I went there. It was a cool experience.
- I decided not to go to a White Sox game. This was mainly because my interest in baseball has waned exceptionally since the whole steroids thing.
- I could have done more exploring but I just had a really good time having drinks at night at Wicker Park/Bucktown and sleeping till 11 everyday.

• Final thoughts:
- Chicago is the second best city in America after NYC
- Great food
- Always something to do
- Not as big a hassle vacationing in NYC
- I'd come back for sure

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2008, 02:42 PM

Glad you had a good time.

Personally I could go my whole life without ever going there again, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.

And all the FIBs that hang out around here in the summer…I would like to personally drown them all in Lake Michigan.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2008, 03:01 PM

I didn't go to the Southside but judging by the doom and gloom I get from the locals, I was happy I stayed the hell outta there at all costs. Even in NYC I never receive such emphatic warnings of doom.

Much of the South side isn't so much bad (though it has its pockets) more just dull because it's residential. Now, on the West side things get genuinely nasty (i.e. you have places where the only people on the streets are lookouts for dealers).

To be fair, in terms of how big Chicago "feels", you did stay away from 2/3 of the city.

Comparing MoMa to the MCA is not even close.

Sorry about that. The MCA is a bit of a joke.

Giordano's seemed like it was too close the Loop and Millennium Park and serving a different sort of clientele (tourists and white collar workers). Lou Malnati's was near Merchandise Mart and a little bit more offset and I'm glad I went there. It was a cool experience.

You made an excellent choice here. I would (and have) taken Pizza Hut over Giordano's.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2008, 03:11 PM

thin crust NYC pizza is the real deal.
If the real deal is having grease drip all over yourself.

- "2 levels of streets" - I saw so little of this that I have no idea what nonhuman is referring to. The city's street levels are regular from my estimation.
That's what I said. You'd have to try very hard to find them inorder to think there's any substantial amount of multi-level streets.

- I didn't go to the Southside but judging by the doom and gloom I get from the locals, I was happy I stayed the hell outta there at all costs. Even in NYC I never receive such emphatic warnings of doom.
That's because the bad portions of that side generate a reputation that overshadows the rest of it. I am from the South Side and Beverly is nothing like Englewood. The Southwest side of the city is a better place to visit than the Southeast side.

- The MCA and Shedd to me were average. ..... Comparing MoMa to the MCA is not even close. MoMa is probably the best contemporary art museum in America.
True but drinking on the MCA terrace is fun and full of pretty people. They also host the closest farmers market to me.

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Personally I could go my whole life without ever going there again, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.
I can say the same thing about Wisconsin.
Most of the country doesn't even notice it exists much less name a city in it. Well, if there were any real cities in WI.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2008, 03:20 PM

If the real deal is having grease drip all over yourself.

I'd say that's indisputably part of the real deal.

Most Chicago thin crust pizza blows, lack of grease being one of the reasons.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'd say that's indisputably part of the real deal.

Most Chicago thin crust pizza blows, lack of grease being one of the reasons.
I wouldn't expect one to find good NY style pizza here but there's good thin crust to be found. Pizanos thin crust is awesome and it doesn't suffer from pools of grease on the top. Plus its around the corner from me.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2008, 04:18 PM

You're supposed to fold the slice and let the grease drip out. Some people pat down the grease with napkins too. Some places are more greasy than others. Personally, I don't see it as any grosser than looking at a jam-packed hot dog with everything and the kitchen sink in it. In a way, it's appetizing.

I actually would not directly compare NYC vs Chicago pizza. To me, it's a apples and oranges comparison. Deep dish to me is best a sit down experience to savor the damn thing. NYC pizza is more a quick snack type deal where it hits the spot.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post

And all the FIBs that hang out around here in the summer…I would like to personally drown them all in Lake Michigan.
Slept with a tranny and got crabs? Same thing happened to me.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2008, 06:22 PM

I can say the same thing about Wisconsin.
Most of the country doesn't even notice it exists much less name a city in it. Well, if there were any real cities in WI.
I wouldn't know I've only been there (Milwaukee) once and didn't get to do much there. I was at a convention.

I live in the other state that the FIBs like to invade. You know, the one that sucks so bad that people from your area travel here to weekend and vacation.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2008, 06:24 PM

Slept with a tranny and got crabs? Same thing happened to me.
No not crabs, but just as irritating.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2008, 07:10 PM

Go see that big metal bean thing.

http://flickr.com/search/?q=Chicago%20bean&w=all

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
Go see that big metal bean thing.

http://flickr.com/search/?q=Chicago%20bean&w=all
i did... it was very cool actually!

BTW, are you guys familiar with Jeff Koons? His stuff is real cool at the MCA, including the hardcore porn. I feel as though his work is very pop-arty-fresh and his ideas are bizarre sardonic and subversive concepts we often find in forums like this. I liked seeing the reaction of the conservative folk as they passed by and made a hasty retreat in the "explicit" area. lol

chichow
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2008, 12:57 AM

Go cubs!!!!!

chichow
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2008, 01:02 AM

There is a thin crust pizza that is TOTALLY not greasy.

Coal Fire Pizza in Chicago at Grand and Ogden.

well the super meat one with sausage and pepperoni is a little greasy?

Forum Links
Forum Rules