Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > DirectTV can not be installed - what to do?

DirectTV can not be installed - what to do?
chewmanfoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2008, 03:44 PM

Guys,

I live in a wonderful old growth oak forest. My house is surrounded on the South side by these huge trees. the DirectTV installer tried installation at a high point on top of my single-story house - he couldn't get signal strength enough (through the trees) to say the install was done, so he took the gear away and they refunded my money.

I really want satellite.

Has anyone ever heard of a person building a tower on their house or beside their house for installing a dish? Can it be done? Does anyone know of any resources on the web which might offer stuff for this?

Thanks in advance!
chewy

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 03:50 PM

That is one of the major weakness of satellite tv - the dish needs line of site. Weather is the other major weakness.
I have direct-tv and found that it can be some what finicky when we get rain showers. Once my contract expires, I'll be going to cable or FIOS.

I'd not want to build a tower just for a dish, seems it would be an eye sore to me. I've seen them on trees and such but not a tower.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2008, 04:05 PM

Why do you want satellite? We're getting rid of ours. No HD TiVo on DirecTV = adios.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 04:10 PM

If he lives in those conditions there is a possibility that cable is not available to him.

You can install the satellite dish on a tower of some sort. Many people have small aluminum poles they affix theirs to, but only because they don't want to put it on their house. You may want to look into something like an artificial tree if you are concerned about the aesthetics...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

chewmanfoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2008, 04:47 PM

you're kidding, right?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 04:55 PM

My Mom has it installed atop an aluminum tower right next to the house. It goes up about a hundred feet and kinda makes her home look like a radio station. Though, there are plenty of large trees around also so it doesn't matter.

It looks exactly like one of these:

TV Antenna Towers - Stallions Satellite and Antenna

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 04:59 PM

*I swear I'm just kidding.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2008, 06:27 PM

Well, I am a DirecTV installer, for another 8 days until my 2 weeks runs out. In any case, yes a dish can be installed atop a tower. Where do you live? The primary satellite for DirecTV is fairly "high" in the sky at most location across the US, over 50 degrees elevation in the South. You may be able to get it without a very tall tower at all, or it may end up being quite complicated depending on just how close/tall the trees are. In a worst case scenario, that you have to use a very tall self supporting tower, you'll also run into a couple of other issues.

Your typical DirecTV installer won't have the safety/climbing equipment necessary to install atop such a tower. Further, depending on where it needs to be placed there could be issues with cable distance, as the maximum cable run between dish/receiver is about 200 feet before additional amplification and voltage regulation equipment is required.

Step 1 needs to be to find a local independent retailer for DirecTV. A mom and pop shop that has been doing satellite installs since the C-band days and has moved on to Dish and DirecTV will almost certainly be better suited to your needs than a DirecTV HSP employee or subcontractor that you'll get when you just call DirecTV up. You will get charged more in this situation, but have a much better chance of actually getting it completed. It doesn't sound like you stand much of a chance of qualifying for a "free" install anyway.

You should also go to DBStalk.com where you'll find many other knowledgeable people about satellite service in general who will be better able to answer your questions.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 07:32 PM

Get Fios. That's what I did. I miss Sci-Fi HD, but Fios is very nice and I get to use TiVo.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Cold Warrior
Jun 12, 2008, 07:38 PM

What about running it north into a clearing then onto a pole? This would put it in a better position relative to azimuth and elevation. You'd be limited by however far the coax can run from dish to receiver/house. Not sure what that length is.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 08:04 PM

Having gone through this and getting the install anyway, I advise against it. 6 months later, the growth on and above the trees ruined the signal and it just got worse over time. I miss DirecTV, but not the hassle of the damn trees interfering with signal.

Funny, I could "tivo" HD shows. Not sure about that comment.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 08:28 PM

Can you climb up one of the trees and mount it onto the tree?

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Can you climb up one of the trees and mount it onto the tree?
While I've seen this done, it is generally not a good idea. The satellite dish has to be aimed fairly precisely, and as the tree grows the dish will twist and move off target.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Funny, I could "tivo" HD shows. Not sure about that comment.
To record all of the new HD channels on DirecTV, you need to use their own DVR. It's actually pretty good, but it's no TiVo.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
Get Fios. That's what I did. I miss Sci-Fi HD, but Fios is very nice and I get to use TiVo.
What heavily wooded area do you know of that has Fios available???

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
To record all of the new HD channels on DirecTV, you need to use their own DVR. It's actually pretty good, but it's no TiVo.
Nothing is TiVo and the DirecTV DVRs are sh*t.

If it doesn't work with a TiVo Series 3, I don't want the service.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Why do you want satellite? We're getting rid of ours. No HD TiVo on DirecTV = adios.
DirecTV HD DVR FTW. It is actually pretty good.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
DirecTV HD DVR FTW. It is actually pretty good.
Agreed. It took a little time to get used to it, but it's not bad by any stretch. That being said, I'm happy to have TiVo again.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 07:46 AM

I don't have HD service with my direct-tv but overall I've been satisfied with their DVR. That's not to say that I've been happy with their service which I'm not and I'll be dropping them. as I mentioned as soon as the contract expires.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 07:18 PM

I have to say I like the DirecTV DVR MUCH better than Comcast. But, I've never had a Tivo.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I have to say I like the DirecTV DVR MUCH better than Comcast. But, I've never had a Tivo.
Well, there ya go.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2008, 10:46 PM

Heh, there are large groups of people that hate every individual cable provider, and every individual satellite provider.

So when threads like this fill up with people ragging on them, I always find it rather silly.

-Owl

Railroader
Banned
Jun 13, 2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Well, there ya go.
One of the few things starman and I agree on. Well, there ya go.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 13, 2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
Heh, there are large groups of people that hate every individual cable provider, and every individual satellite provider.

So when threads like this fill up with people ragging on them, I always find it rather silly.

-Owl
True, but no one hate TiVo. I have yet to hear of a single person who has ever had a bad thing to say about TiVo other than it seems a bit high priced at first, but then you understand after you have used it a while.

chewmanfoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2008, 11:57 PM

So no, I'm not cutting down a tree, yes I'm buying one of the tall tv towers (thanks for the link) and I'll report back how the install goes. <giggling> I'll tell you guys how the install goes.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 12:33 AM

go here and someone can help you
DBSTalk.Com
45/47

hokie17
Jun 14, 2008, 07:00 AM

Having also been a DTV installer before, one other thing not mentioned is the length of the cable run. If it's more than 200 feet or so between the dish and the receiver, you're going to run into problems with signal loss.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by hokie17 View Post
Having also been a DTV installer before, one other thing not mentioned is the length of the cable run. If it's more than 200 feet or so between the dish and the receiver, you're going to run into problems with signal loss.
Originally Posted by Teronzhul
issues with cable distance, as the maximum cable run between dish/receiver is about 200 feet before additional amplification and voltage regulation equipment is required.
It was in that long post, too long to read I guess.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 14, 2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Well hoo da hell axed you anyways?!

hokie17
Jun 14, 2008, 08:48 AM

Heheh guess I missed that post.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2008, 08:36 PM

Eh, I'm used to people ignoring me. I also mentioned DBSTalk.com 18 posts before Chongo. I suppose I'm just not very interesting.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 14, 2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
Eh, I'm used to people ignoring me. I also mentioned DBSTalk.com 18 posts before Chongo. I suppose I'm just not very interesting.
Is this the part where I say: "But I like you Teronzhul" and then you say: "Nobody good likes me"?

Forum Links
Forum Rules