Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Whats your "Dream" Macbook/Pro Upgrade?

Whats your "Dream" Macbook/Pro Upgrade?
calverson
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 09:09 AM

DREAM IT YOU DREAMERS!

What would your ideal upgrade to the Macbook's or Macbook Pro's be? (obviously within reason, no cup holders or anything stupid please)

There are a few things that I have heard people say:

"if only Apple made a"... (right mouse button, PMCIA slot, built-in 3G, extra USB port, PS2 port <joke>) "...then it would be the perfect machine"

What is yours?

For me, it would be Blu-Ray/HDMI out.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 09:31 AM

1) Full size keyboard for the 17" (you know with the number pad on the right).

2) Docking station ability.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2008, 10:30 AM

I would like to see a multitouch/touchscreen MacBook Pro.. maybe a tablet MacBook Pro. Also, it would be cool to see longer battery life O.O.. I know, I can keep on dreaming x)

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
(obviously within reason, no cup holders or anything stupid please)
lol++

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 27, 2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
I would like to see a multitouch/touchscreen MacBook Pro.. maybe a tablet MacBook Pro. Also, it would be cool to see longer battery life O.O.. I know, I can keep on dreaming x)
I agree
R.I.P Steve Jobs

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2008, 01:02 PM

-1920x1200 resolution option on the 15"
-A second DVI output
-Bluray burners (at least as an option)
-I also agree with Hg2491 about better battery life.

Though I really can't complain, I bought my macbook pro used over a year ago, and it is probably the best purchase I've made. The machine does everything I want it to, and I like it more the more I use it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 01:08 PM

Start with the current 15" MBP:
Offer 1920x1200 LCD
Add 2 USB ports
Add 2 eSATA ports
Upgrade the ExpressCard slot from 34 to 54mm
Remove the FW400 port
Add HDMI

Bonus points: 14" screen with less bezel

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2008, 01:46 PM

In the past people used to go blind because they used candles at night, now people are going to become blind because of having huge resolution in small screens XD Isn't it uncomfortable?
There's a Lenovo notebook with a 13.3" screen and a 1440 x 900 resolution =/

I don't agree with you guys... The MacBook Pro is a portable, is it really necessary to have two DVI outputs? Or to have HDMI? I know that's your dreamed setup.. but is it practical?
( Last edited by Hg2491; Jun 27, 2008 at 01:59 PM. )

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2008, 01:55 PM

In the past people used to go blind because they used candles at night, now people are going to become blind because of having huge resolution in small screens XD Isn't it uncomfortable?
No, it's actually very nice. That 13.3" screen is 127ppi, and a 1920x1200 screen would be even higher and 147ppi (ppi=pixels per inch, by the way). I don't see how it would be uncomfortable, you can always make text larger if that's the issue, but high resolution screens are essential for anyone working with media, I'm incredibly surprised that apple hasn't offered a 1920x1200 screen on the 15" MBP's yet.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 02:02 PM

Screen that bends back as far as the ALBooks.
eSATA port
WIFI reception as good as the MacBooks
Dual Batteries
Built-in 3G (if only there was 3G where I live)

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2008, 02:05 PM

I associate small screens and high resolutions with headaches..

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 02:13 PM

II don't agree with you guys... The MacBook Pro is a portable, is it really necessary to have two DVI outputs? Or to have HDMI? I know that's your dreamed setup.. but is it practical?
I had a 20" iMac and a Macbook Pro. Sold the iMac because I found that having files across two machines was annoying. So I just have my MBP, which I hook up to an external display when I work (I am a freelance designer, work from home )

So dual DVI would be cool (two 23" inch displays would be awesome) and HDMI for then watching Blu-Ray... cause it is going to be a while before I get an HDTV.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2008, 02:49 PM

I understand your position. It would be cool to have fingerprint reader on the MacBook Pro XD

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 03:15 PM

I would like:
Quad Core-Processor
HDMI
At least one more USB port
An extra hour of battery life too
A darker aluminum case
Replace FW400 with eSata

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
A darker aluminum case
Blackbook Pro?

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 03:28 PM

Maybe one day we will have a 15" or 17" Macbook Air without compromise on tech specs.

Now that really is a dream.
( Last edited by calverson; Jun 27, 2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: was misleading)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 04:21 PM

Blackbook Pro?
Sort of. I don't want it too dark though. Do you see the shade of the plastic bezel around the upper case here? I think that would be an awesome color.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 06:11 PM

Make your fonts bigger; they'll still look better, as will non-text content (photos, videos, etc).

Kyros
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2008, 07:05 PM

12 inch non-widescreen MacBook Pro, ie a true replacement for the 12 inch PB, but with a 1280 x 1024 resolution (preferably after 10.6/7 or whatever brings resolution independence). I'm fine with it being a bit crippled compared to the big MBPs, as long as it has a dedicated graphics card (again, just like the 12 inch PB). I guess I don't care much if it's widescreen or not, but I like how the 12 inch isn't so wide. The extra resolution, because it's the only gripe I have about this computer, but considering it would be too small for some people, the resolution independence would be nice. I don't know if this counts as "unreasonable" since I know the intel chips are a lot hotter than G4s were, and I don't want it to be as crippled as the MBA. I would be fine with losing the Optical Drive for better heat dissipation (keeping the same thickness) though. Oh and add FW800 for crying out loud .
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
12 inch non-widescreen MacBook Pro, ie a true replacement for the 12 inch PB, but with a 1280 x 1024 resolution (preferably after 10.6/7 or whatever brings resolution independence). I'm fine with it being a bit crippled compared to the big MBPs, as long as it has a dedicated graphics card (again, just like the 12 inch PB). I guess I don't care much if it's widescreen or not, but I like how the 12 inch isn't so wide. The extra resolution, because it's the only gripe I have about this computer, but considering it would be too small for some people, the resolution independence would be nice. I don't know if this counts as "unreasonable" since I know the intel chips are a lot hotter than G4s were, and I don't want it to be as crippled as the MBA. I would be fine with losing the Optical Drive for better heat dissipation (keeping the same thickness) though. Oh and add FW800 for crying out loud .
I know what you mean. Personally I would love a MB with hot swapable drives a la PB G3 (extra battery or drive, maybe even a graphics card as a unit you could plug in)

At the loss of an optical drive, though, I am sure the chaps in Apple could put together what you want. But it would mean having to change the motherboard, though.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 08:59 PM

preinstalled Vista Ultimate? (with an XP downgrade option, of course)

That would just be wrong.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2008, 11:00 PM

Right-click mouse button=great idea.
On-board storage for the remote.
Smaller "brick" on the power adaptor.
Better keyboard (like the Air).
Kick the FW400 & 800.
Add eSATA.
Better screen hinges.
Better wifi reception.
Easier way to swap-out HD.
90 degree USB port.
Bluray.

And of course, faster and with greater RAM capacity.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 04:56 AM

• T9600, Cantiga, 8 GB RAM ceiling; offer QX9300 and X9100 as BTO options
• 14", 1440x900
• a faster and cooler GPU
• 500 GB HDD
• 5h real world battery time
• can switch to closed-lid mode at the press of one button, like lets's say F7...
• removing the battery has no influcence on CPU clock
• eSATA, FW800 instad of FW400, one more USB
• docking port on the bottom hidden behind sliding door
• lid goes down as far as Al PBs
• replace IR with RF remote
• allow optical to be replaced with an extra battery
• put lock slot in a more appropriate place
• trackpad button recognizes right and left click
• HDD swap as on the MB
• no mechanical latch (as on the MB)
• exchange case material with something more RF transparent and less heat conducting, but of course it should look as good as Al
• power brick could be even smaller and get less hot

I'm sure I forgot some stuff. Lots to improve on. IMHO the MBP is still by far the best notebook around though.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 28, 2008 at 05:02 AM. )

ballison
Jun 28, 2008, 05:11 AM

are you guys nuts about removing the 400 port?? same thing about the esata port...you guys are nuts. honestly...do you realize how many consumer products run off of FW400 and how few utilize eSata? also, if you need one more usb, get a freakin hub! sheesh!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ballison View Post
are you guys nuts about removing the 400 port?? ... honestly...do you realize how many consumer products run off of FW400...
FW400 can run off a FW800 port. There are dongles and appropriate cables starting at about $2. Therefore a FW400 port is redundant.

same thing about the esata port...you guys are nuts. honestly...do you realize how many consumer products run off of FW400 and how few utilize eSata?
In terms of performance external storage eSATA will eventually take over. Bus power should finally be added soon (really took them a while to see the light though). Apart from its limited maximum cable length it's an excellent external bus. The writing is on the wall, it's eSATA on the high-end and USB on the low-end for most peripherals.

also, if you need one more usb, get a freakin hub! sheesh!
Some people like the idea of not having to lug around a hub with their MBP. Apple could easily fit in another USB port where the FW400 port is now.

On a more general note, in this thread people are just saying what they would like to have. That doesn't mean all people want it that way. It also doesn't mean Apple should implement all these changes. And it certainly doesn't mean you should get all worked up about what other people would like for themselves.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
On a more general note, in this thread people are just saying what they would like to have. That doesn't mean all people want it that way. It also doesn't mean Apple should implement all these changes. And it certainly doesn't mean you should get all worked up about what other people would like for themselves.
To each their own.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Someone mentioned to me today that they would like to see a MBP with 1TB of storage, dual-SLI 512MB video ram, 1900 x 1200 resolution, and an 8 core xeon.

My first reaction is that he is completely insane.

I then though 10 years ago, people would not have been able to envision the MBP that we have today. 4 GIGABYTES OF RAM. That is 200 times bigger than my first hard drive.

So, while most of the insane specifications could be 'dreams', probably all of the people reading this forum will see my mates 'dream machine' within their lifespan. Maybe not the exact processors or video cards, but definitely something comprable.
( Last edited by calverson; Jun 28, 2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 04:46 PM

Someone mentioned to me today that they would like to see a MBP with 1TB of storage, dual-SLI 512MB video ram, 1900 x 1200 resolution, and an 8 core zeon.
Aside from the "zeon" (??) part, that will all be a typical high-end laptop in 12-18 months.

are you guys nuts about removing the 400 port?? same thing about the esata port...you guys are nuts. honestly...do you realize how many consumer products run off of FW400 and how few utilize eSata? also, if you need one more usb, get a freakin hub! sheesh!
Number of FW400-only peripherals I own: 0
Number of FW400-optional peripherals I own: 1
Number of eSATA-only peripherals I own: 2
Number of eSATA-optional peripherals I own: 5
A FW400 port is about as useful as an ADB port to me. I'd leave one FW800 in for the pro audio/video guys.

The one place that FW400 had a shot in the consumer market, minidv camcorders, is being taken over by non-isochronous transfers (HDD based camcorder over USB, flash based camcorder with a card reader, DVD based camcorders) because no one wants to sit around and wait for FW400 to transfer in realtime.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Aside from the "zeon" (??) part, that will all be a typical high-end laptop in 12-18 months.
Sorry about the Typo - Xeon. (the X5482 specifically )

I know you can already get machines that would compete with the above - but do you think within 18 months there will be a 1-inch thick MBP that would bench similarly to the current Mac Pro?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 07:10 PM

...but do you think within 18 months there will be a 1-inch thick MBP that would bench similarly to the current Mac Pro?
No. The MP will still have a better bus bandwidth, better disk transfer rates, and a beefier GPU. Of course it will still also have more cores. Obviously the MBP will evolve and it will eventually get 4 cores, a better GPU, more RAM, faster FSB, etc. But in terms of raw performance it's no match for a MP. Not now, not in 18 months.

That said, depending on what you do there will be cases when a MP performs no better than a MBP. But that's also not the right question to ask. The MBP is for people who need portability. The MP is about performance and expandability. And quite obviously for many pros having both is just right. My main Mac is a MBP (travel, presentations, home use). For number crunching I have an octo-core MP at work. Sweet setup I can tell you.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2008, 07:55 PM

No. The MP will still have a better bus bandwidth, better disk transfer rates, and a beefier GPU. Of course it will still also have more cores. Obviously the MBP will evolve and it will eventually get 4 cores, a better GPU, more RAM, faster FSB, etc. But in terms of raw performance it's no match for a MP. Not now, not in 18 months.
I think you misunderstood me. Obviously the MP will pretty much always carry more weight than the MBP, but do you think that the MBP in 18 months will have the same, if not more, power as the current MP?

I guess it is a stupid question, though, not really comparing Apples with Apples (haha).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2008, 04:10 AM

I think you misunderstood me. Obviously the MP will pretty much always carry more weight than the MBP, but do you think that the MBP in 18 months will have the same, if not more, power as the current MP?
No, as I said a MBP in 18 months from now will still not be superior to today's MP. It will not have eight cores that match 3.2 GHz Harpertown performance, it will not match the bus bandwidth of today's MP, it will still have a slower disk and in all likelihood its GPU will not be a match for a regular 8800 GT or a 3870. That is today's MP vs. a 2010 MBP. Obviously the 2010 MP will be a totally different story. And that's also why I think this question isn't the right one to ask. You need to ask yourself if you need portability or expandability today and then chose from today's offers. And that will determine the Mac you need today. So yes, IMHO it is comparing apple's to oranges. But as a little crystal ball exercise it's ok.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 29, 2008 at 04:17 AM. )

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 12:59 PM

Howdy,

For those not interested in FW400/800:

15" MBP
2 FW400, 1 FW800
2 USB
Bluray Burner
1920x1200, Resolution Independence

Cheers,

TGF
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 29, 2008, 01:13 PM

I am a Macbook fan so I'd like to see:
----
1. Blu Ray capabilities
2. Better battery life
3. Multi-touch (like the MacbookPro and MacbookAir)
4. An Aluminum case

matt_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
12 inch non-widescreen MacBook Pro, ie a true replacement for the 12 inch PB...
I agree wholeheartedly. Dumbest thing I ever did, selling my 12" Al P'Book. 12" is a perfect size & weight for road warriors.

The MacBook Air concentrated all it’s juice on what was relatively unimportant to the road warrior: thickness. It’s footprint & weight that counts, not thickness. I mean, unless you’re talking about a mid-1990’s notebook that was 4-1/2” inches thick, this is not a problem anymore. The MBA is an awesome laptop, it's very cool - but it's not suitable for road warriors (I am United 1k, travel 130-150 thousand air miles annually). Besides, I have a phiosophical problem paying $1800 for one USB port

And no, I'm not carrying a hub, don't insult us road warriors here... see, the object is to carry less volume & less weight - not more!

My Dream Machine:

1. High impact, lightweight non-glare plastic case for superior WiFi broadcast and reception (metal makes a fantastic shield, stop using it!). Even a retro look back to the 165 or 180 texture/color would be welcomed - anything different! After 6-7 years of the same metal enclosure year after year, it's time for something different.

2. 12” non-glare LCD, LED backlight with MacBook-style hinge, lowering the height factor of the laptop to better fit in airline seat back trays (15” is untenable; 13” is almost too tall and is a problem quite often).

3. External, optional DVD player/recorder. High Def version would be a nice touch.

4. 2 USB 2.0, 1 1394a, 1 mini-DVI, 1-10/100 Ethernet, 1 3.5mm headphone, 1 external speaker ports (obviously, power port required). Go with 1394a because the b version combo PHY/LINK chip just uses way too much power.

5. A combo slot accommodating both CF & SD memory cards.

6. 1 security port.

7. Easily replaceable HDD & RAM, just like the MacBook design.

8. Easily swappable, 2 battery ports - like the old Wall Street/Pismo/Lombard series. What good does one non-replaceable battery do when you have a 9 hour flight from ORD to CDG or 16 hours from LAX to MEL or 9 hours from SYD to HKG or 13 hours from HKG to SFO? Unlike Steve, I wasn't given my own free jet.

9. Two-button mouse (it should never take two hands to do in OS X what it takes one finger to do in Windows). Not a software function but a real, grown up, two button hardware mouse.

10. iSight camera & built in microphone.

11. MacBook-style keyboard, possibly re-designed slightly to provide more space, e.g., does the CAPS LOCK key need to be that HUGE, really now? Other opportunities for space savings under that 12" LCD - with a 2-button mouse, is there still a need for the CONTROL key? - with an external DVD, is there still a need for an Eject key? Reduce the space bar 20%. Eliminate the ENTER key. Example: the G4 12" had a very serviceable keyboard, so not only can it be done but it can be improved significantly as well.

12. 250 Gig fastest HDD available. MBA 80 GB just doesn't cut it. When you're 10,000 miles from the office & no net connection, you better have every PPT presentation & all product specs available to you right there. Make this SATA & not Parallel - that way, when the Samsung 250 Gig Solid State drive arrives, we can plunk that in. Parallel in the MBA is unwise design.

13. 2-4 Gig RAM.

14. Best in class mobile Intel processor.

15. Optional graphics upgrade to drive high quality presentation equipment and monitors, like those Tandberg monsters in the boardroom. My previous Al MacBook 15" would drive it but my MacBook 13" won't - needs more oomph!

16. Work on the power adapter to further reduce the weight, if possible. Think of the system as a package. The current power adapter needs some thought.

17. The Goal should be overall low profile (height - with LCD open). By removing the DVD drive, lightweight is accomplished (think of the current MacBook with a few ounces saved using a 12” LCD plus maybe ~0.75 to 1.0 lbs saved with the DVD drive removed). A small footprint should be desired - instead of worrying about the thickness, worry more about the length x width + height.

18. Backlit keyboard - I can take it or leave it, doesn't really matter. Moving from a number of aluminum MBP's to a MacBook, I've found that I really don't miss it.

This would be my dream machine! I would tote this puppy all over the world, and would generate envy everywhere I went.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2008, 02:38 PM

The reason Apple put so much emphasis on a thin MBA is because they were not wiling to compromise on screen size. Why OTOH the bezel around the screen came out so ludicrously oversized is beyond me.

Likewise if the MBP should stay 15" (personally I'd prefer 14") and we keep an internal optical, its size can't change much. Maybe tapered edges and some weight reduction, but with the current screen (limiting width and length) and optical drive tech (limiting thickness), the minimum case size for the MBP is pretty much given.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 29, 2008 at 05:36 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2008, 03:51 PM

1) Not many.
2) More and more.
3) Oh yes, I'll pull out my powered USB hub on the airplane and plug it in. After all, any decent sized USB hub worth having is powered.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2008, 04:07 PM

Re: FW400

Remember floppy drives? When they were removed from Macs? Some people didn't know how they were going to live?

Technology moves on. So should computers. The idea behind this thread is not to discuss 800 vs 400. I started it because I wanted to hear some cool ideas for MB/P features.

Anyway, I could live without 400, even though I use it a lot, I need to buy a new DV Camera anyway, and this would force the (much needed) upgrade. I still use the Canon XML 2...

hokie17
Jun 29, 2008, 05:45 PM

I could get behind a loss of FW400, but not 800. I have two 1TB MyBooks that have ports for USB, FW400, and FW800. I daily chain both of them into my MBP's FW800 port.

I doubt it would save much space (because the optical drive size dictates so much), but I could see dropping the ExpressCard slot since most mobile companies have USB modems available, but only if they put in an eSATA port.

Likewise, I don't know how much space would be saved, but I wonder if DVI could be dropped in favor of mini-DVI or micro-DVI. I don't know if 30" ACD compatiblity would be sacrificed technically from doing that. Does external screensize/resolution depend on the connector or on the internal chipset?

One thing I want, in addition to the Blu-Ray/HDMI already mentioned, is the flat MacBook-style keys. I think they're MUCH more comfortable to type on.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 04:17 PM

No, as I said a MBP in 18 months from now will still not be superior to today's MP. It will not have eight cores that match 3.2 GHz Harpertown performance, it will not match the bus bandwidth of today's MP, it will still have a slower disk and in all likelihood its GPU will not be a match for a regular 8800 GT or a 3870. That is today's MP vs. a 2010 MBP. Obviously the 2010 MP will be a totally different story. And that's also why I think this question isn't the right one to ask. You need to ask yourself if you need portability or expandability today and then chose from today's offers. And that will determine the Mac you need today. So yes, IMHO it is comparing apple's to oranges. But as a little crystal ball exercise it's ok.
Ok so I checked MacTracker for the differences between the original Mac Pro and the latest Mac Pro (released 17 months apart):

2006 Mac Pro; Woodcrest Processor (2 x 2.0 GHz) = 3714

2008 Penryn Macbook Pro (Penryn 2.6 GHz) = 3322

Hmmm... So the MBP hasn't caught up yet to the original MP. Interestingly:

2005 Power Mac G5 (PPC G5 2 x 2.5 GHz) = 3284

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 05:02 PM

I still don't see the relevance of these comparisons. I you need power on the go the MP is useless. If you need PCI cards or several fast disks the MBP is useless. What good does comparing both systems by looking at a single number do? You need to decide if you need portable or heavily expandable. Once you know that you just get as much power as you can afford.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 05:10 PM

I still don't see the relevance of these comparisons. I you need power on the go the MP is useless. If you need PCI cards or several fast disks the MBP is useless. What good does comparing both systems by looking at a single number do? You need to decide if you need portable or heavily expandable. Once you know that you just get as much power as you can afford.
Right and I agree with you.

But the original point was that a friend of mine suggested way over-the-top specifications for the next MB/P upgrade, to which you said:

that will all be a typical high-end laptop in 12-18 months.
And I wondered, in terms of raw computing power, when the MBP would overtake the MP.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 05:11 PM

Nope. I never said such a thing. That was somebody else.

Also, according to what you wrote your friend said, he was talking about storage (1TB), the GPU (SLI, 512 MB), and resolution (1900x1200). Those things do indeed sound like what we will eventually see on the MBP. But they have nothing to do with "raw computing power". For parallelized code and to first order that pretty much scales like number of cores x performance per core x L2 cache x memory bus bandwidth x amount of RAM. And exactly these are the things where the MBP and MP are really different.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 05:14 PM

The benchmarks are by no means an accurate comparison.

It is like basing the value of two houses simply on square footage alone.

But it does give a fairly good idea of the overall power of the machine.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 05:18 PM

Nope. I never said such a thing. That was somebody else. .
Whoops. Now doesn't that make me look like a prick.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 05:19 PM

Whoops. Now doesn't that make me look like a prick.
No worries.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Number of FW400-only peripherals I own: 0
Number of FW400-optional peripherals I own: 1
Number of eSATA-only peripherals I own: 2
Number of eSATA-optional peripherals I own: 5
A FW400 port is about as useful as an ADB port to me. I'd leave one FW800 in for the pro audio/video guys.

The one place that FW400 had a shot in the consumer market, minidv camcorders, is being taken over by non-isochronous transfers (HDD based camcorder over USB, flash based camcorder with a card reader, DVD based camcorders) because no one wants to sit around and wait for FW400 to transfer in realtime.
But that's just for you,

Number of FW400-only peripherals I own: 5
Number of FW400-optional peripherals I own: 5
Number of esata-only peripherals I own: 0
Number of esata-optional peripherals I own: 2

To me esata isn't important at all, as at this point in time it is worthless for any portable usage. If anything I'd like to see more firewire ports on the MBP.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 09:27 PM

I'm so glad that this thread has absolutely zero bearing on what will come out. Lots of what I'm seeing here are option that look great on the back of the box (next to a check-mark) but in reality are totally retarded. 1920x1080 on a 15" screen is just totally retarded.

I'm going to leave this thread and get a a life.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
I'm so glad that this thread has absolutely zero bearing on what will come out. Lots of what I'm seeing here are option that look great on the back of the box (next to a check-mark) but in reality are totally retarded. 1920x1080 on a 15" screen is just totally retarded.

What you mean is 1920x1200, and in fact it's such a retarded option that lots of other manufacturers offer it.
( Last edited by bballe336; Jul 1, 2008 at 04:26 PM. )

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post

I'm so glad that this thread has such a small effect on you.

You should get a life... (or the big bad thread might come out and ruin it)

Dude, to each their own. Have you ever used a 1920x1080 15" before?

Forum Links
Forum Rules