Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keychain weirdness after power outage

Keychain weirdness after power outage
Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 09:27 AM

After one of my frequent power outages I rebooted my machine and started having keychain issues. Basically, all of my saved passwords were gone. I ran Keychain Access and did a verify and repair. Sure enough it said the keychain was damaged and successfully repaired. I checked the ~/Library/Keychains folder and found that it moved the original keychain to 'login_renamed.keychain' and I now had a new empty keychain file 'login.keychain'. I love their definition of "repaired". Seems more like "reset" to me.

I sync my Keychain with MobileMe so I went into System Preferences and reconfigured my MobileMe account and started the sync process.

Time for a short rant. I've always had problems when doing an initial sync with MobileMe. Doesn't matter what kind of internet connection, the version of the OS. It's always super slow and typically fails over and over until finally, maybe after a week or so, the initial sync is complete. As I type, my keychain items still haven't successfully synced up since the power outage. Here's the sync log:
Code:
2009-08-19 09:43:10|Info|Starting Sync Session for dataclasses: Keychains 2009-08-19 09:43:19|Info|Applying changes from MobileMe... 2009-08-19 09:43:19|Info|Slow syncing dataclass Keychains 2009-08-19 09:43:20|Info|Downloading changes for dataclass: Keychains 2009-08-19 10:21:25|Error|Did not download the full set of changes. Number expected: 13321, Number downloaded: 3083 2009-08-19 10:21:25|Error|Dataclass Keychains failed to sync while downloading changes from .Mac 2009-08-19 10:21:35|Info|Cancelling the Sync Engine session 2009-08-19 10:21:35|Info|Ended Sync Engine session
Back to my original issue. Each time a program attempts to access the keychain I'm presented with this dialog window (the program name is of course different for each one):

I enter my password and then that specific program will never ask again... that is until I reboot. Then it starts all over again. Keychain Access says the keychain is fine.

Suggestions anyone?

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2009, 09:32 AM

After digging around in Keychain Access I found this:

It seems that by default those two items are NOT checked. It must have happened when I reset my keychain. I've unchecked them and all seems back to normal.

Now I just need to get the MobileMe sync to complete successfully.

Forum Links
Forum Rules