Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best OS version for an old C2D MBA (MacbookAir2,1)

Best OS version for an old C2D MBA (MacbookAir2,1)
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2023, 04:57 PM

I have an old MacBook Air currently running 10.11.6. I'd like to use something newer, but is it worth the effort? I can install Mojave, but will it be too excruciatingly slow to be usable?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 22, 2023, 06:19 PM

10.11 through 10.14 (Mojave) list minimum RAM as 2 GB, which is what your MacBook Air has.
10.15 Catalina lists 4 GB minimum.

I have access to an iMac from about the same time, running Mojave with 8 GB. It's usable, but not ideal. On my home system, Mojave tends to use 10-11 GB (out of 64).

I'd say it depends on your storage. If you have an SSD, I'd try Mojave. If you have the HD option, upgrade - SSD prices have plunged. Let the memory overflow to the SSD. If it doesn't work out, High Sierra can read/write APFS volumes (for sharing external drives), and I was happy with it for a long time. Not a bad choice IMO.

Backup your current install first, in case Mojave is unworkable. So you can install an earlier OS and restore everything. Migration Assistant isn't so good at going backwards.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2023, 07:35 PM

My daily driver was stuck on either Sierra or High Sierra for a few years (I think HS). Loved it.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2023, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I'll see how Mojave performs but might flip to High Sierra if it's too slow.

Fortunately all my devices have SSDs at this point - the MBA has the original 1.8" 128GB SATA SSD, so maybe it's time to upgrade.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules