Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does the KIA car brand name bother you?

View Poll Results: Does the KIA car brand name bother you?
Poll Options:
Yes. But not enough to prevent my buying one if I liked it. 6 votes (7.32%)
Yes. I'd never own one due to the name. 12 votes (14.63%)
No. I assign no negative thoughts to the name. 50 votes (60.98%)
No. I recognize the similarity but I'm neither superstitious nor conspiratorial. 12 votes (14.63%)
Hmmm. I didn't know about this but will give it some thought. 2 votes (2.44%)
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll
Does the KIA car brand name bother you? (Page 2)
abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
The poll seems to be giving the OP the finger.
Now why would you say something intentionally provocative like that? You know that I would put a pretty sound pounding on your feelings if I chose to. Methinks you like being thrashed. Or you want to provoke me so that I might get myself banned.

The question mark here is whether I will be given the freedom to defend myself without penalty or if Demonhood will protect me from attacks.

It remains to be seen, I guess.

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
The question mark here is whether I will be given the freedom to defend myself without penalty or if Demonhood will protect me from attacks.

-t

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ahhh, nevermind.

I guess the quoting function farked up. My original post is fixed now.

-t
Oh, ok. I thought you did that on purpose.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:22 PM

Now why would you say something intentionally provocative like that? You know that I would put a pretty sound pounding on your feelings if I chose to. Methinks you like being thrashed. Or you want to provoke me so that I might get myself banned.

It remains to be seen, I guess.

I was thinking cock and balls originally, but I don't know anyone other than me with four in-line balls.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
So it accurately reflects the feelings of most of the members too?
Are you saying that you believe most of the membership is like that other poster?

That they all enjoy squabbling with me...as he does?

Or that they are all so petty and childish that after an absence of many months there are some who would hold a grudge and begin a 'war' with me with no legal justification...as he does?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2007, 04:27 PM

I can't figure out of you're being serious or not.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:30 PM

Calm down drama queen, outside of asking you if you were trying to start something in another thread a few weeks ago I haven't said two words to you.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:30 PM

I can't figure out of you're being serious or not.
It's not too late to back away from the edge, you know.

No one will think any less of you.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:37 PM

Calm down drama queen, outside of asking you if you were trying to start something in another thread a few weeks ago I haven't said two words to you.
Then we'll consider this Strike One.

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:40 PM

Which part of that is addressed to you?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2007, 05:15 PM

It's not too late to back away from the edge, you know.

No one will think any less of you.
What edge? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 06:21 PM

After I voted, I realized that this had something to do with KIA being related to "killed in action" instead of KIA being related to "cheap, crappy cars."

I wish I could change my vote. This is stupid.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 07:50 PM

What edge? I have no idea what you're talking about.
I realize I may have interpreted a couple of very ambiguously worded posts in this thread the wrong way and so I am glad I didn't respond to a few of them any more aggressively than I did.

But I must tell you (if you didn't know) I have a hair trigger and in the past when I believed I was being attacked I have often retaliated first and found out the facts later. So, I will try to watch myself in the future but it would also help if you took into account the limitations of this medium in accurately conveying the true meaning behind your messages. There could have been a mistake that would have served no one well simply because there was an error in transmission as well as an error in reception of your message.

I'm not out to pick fights but if someone picks with me I will respond with zeal.

Thanks.

Back to the thread topic.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 07:53 PM

Which part of that is addressed to you?

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ
What are the definitions of OP?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 08:02 PM

You down with OPP?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
You down with OPP?
No, homey don't play that any more. And homey don't respect anyone who encourages it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 11:42 PM

Original Poster...you. Yes, I was making the joke that everyone here would give you the middle finger. It was a joke. But there's some truth to every joke, right?

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
You down with OPP?
Yeah you know me.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
How about a productive comment instead of an insult.
I think your are expecting too much from this lot.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 03:51 AM

Original Poster...you. Yes, I was making the joke that everyone here would give you the middle finger. It was a joke. But there's some truth to every joke, right?
Ok. Here's a puzzle for you. Figure out what is the truth and what is the joke in this picture.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
I think your are expecting too much from this lot.
Wow! And from a CANADIAN!

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 16, 2007, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
And, for the OP, the name of the car is not KIA, but Kia, which immediately excludes any confusion between the military acronym and the car brand.
But ALL their branding says KIA. The Dealership signs, the car labels,

Not that I think of Killed in Action when I think of KIA.

I think more of Le Car.
So it accurately reflects the feelings of most of the members too?
That says more about the members it represents than the OP....

( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 16, 2007 at 06:10 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 16, 2007, 06:11 AM

He's not the one being a drama queen, and you guys aren't getting it.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
He's not the one being a drama queen, and you guys aren't getting it.

I'm not here to bust any balls.

Kevin, we can't expect them to immediately gain 20/20 vision if they've gotten used to getting around with guide dogs all their lives.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2007, 07:55 AM

But ALL their branding says KIA. The Dealership signs, the car labels
The logo says KIA in capitals. Whenever you see the name mentioned in text, though (as on their website or in brochures and ads), it’s invariably written as Kia.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 16, 2007, 08:01 AM

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 08:19 AM

If I mention Barry Bonds in a post, does that mean I'm addressing him?

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 16, 2007, 08:26 AM

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 02:06 PM

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 02:12 PM

If I mention Barry Bonds in a post, does that mean I'm addressing him?
No, it's actually your attempt to mess with my head. One word about Bonds and I'll take it personally!
j/k

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
The logo says KIA in capitals. Whenever you see the name mentioned in text, though (as on their website or in brochures and ads), it’s invariably written as Kia.
When it takes someone with your qualifications to have to explain the difference to me I'd say the KIA Motors people have already lost the PR war.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 02:47 PM

I'd say the KIA Motors people have already lost the PR war.
This is the first time I've ever heard of taking offense at the name. I think this poll on a national level would not even register negative as high as this one, which is low.

I don't think this is a PR issue for the company.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 02:55 PM

Does the KIA car brand name bother you?
Not in the least, as usual it seems you have to much time on your hands.

When a soldier is killed in action you say (phonetically) he was Kay Eye Aye.

As opposed to Keeya. The thought of boycotting this car company for that reason alone makes me laugh.

I'd also rather buy a Hyundai but my old mechanic had a Kia and he never had any problems with it...not to mention it was 9000 bucks brand new. if you're not concerned about resale value*, since these cars have none, buying a Kia isn't a bad move at all.

*and power, but the MPG is great.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 04:19 PM

This is the first time I've ever heard of taking offense at the name. I think this poll on a national level would not even register negative as high as this one, which is low.

I don't think this is a PR issue for the company.
But it is at least as compelling as the Apple Store being down.

Can I get an Amen?

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 04:49 PM

But it is at least as compelling as the Apple Store being down.
Sure, I'm not saying it isn't an interesting discussion, it actually is. It's something I had never considered it at all, and that is always worthy of discussion.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it is a PR issue for Kia. I think sek929 nailed it with the pronunciation. I believe a vastly majority of Americans would recognize the name long before they would recognize the logo. And "K.I.A." is not something I've ever heard, it's "Killed in Action" (just one more syllable), to most of us civilians at least.

Is this something that is discussed among military people?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Not in the least, as usual it seems you have to much time on your hands.

When a soldier is killed in action you say (phonetically) he was Kay Eye Aye.

As opposed to Keeya. The thought of boycotting this car company for that reason alone makes me laugh.

I'd also rather buy a Hyundai but my old mechanic had a Kia and he never had any problems with it...not to mention it was 9000 bucks brand new. if you're not concerned about resale value*, since these cars have none, buying a Kia isn't a bad move at all.

*and power, but the MPG is great.
I'm enjoying our latest chapter of peaceful interaction so much that I'm less inclined to vigorously reply to the 'time on my hands' quip.

But I will say this, in the time it takes some folks to figure out the difference between their...

and a...

I can have thought about how KIA is a name that might lose Kia Motors approximately 10 - 20% of their potential sales.

It might help to know that Datsun was once the name of a thriving automobile manufacturer. And out of the blue they spent millions and millions to change the name of the car company to Nissan.

Returning to Aaker, here are the 2 substantive paragraphs on page 57 where he presents reasons behind the Datsun to Nissan name change.

“The decision to change the name Datsun to Nissan in the U.S. was announced in the fall of 1981. The rationale was that the name change would help the pursuit of a global strategy. A single name worldwide would increase the possibility that advertising campaigns, brochures, and promotional materials could be used across countries and simplify product design and manufacturing. Further, potential buyers would be exposed to the name and product when traveling to other countries.”

“Industry observers, however, speculated that the most important motivation was that a name change would help Nissan market stocks and bonds in the U.S. They also presumed substantial ego involvement, since the absence of the Nissan name in the U.S. surely rankled Nissan executives who had seen Toyota and Honda become household words.”

Z History ~ Datsun to Nissan
Sure, I'm not saying it isn't an interesting discussion, it actually is. It's something I had never considered it at all, and that is always worthy of discussion.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it is a PR issue for Kia. I think sek929 nailed it with the pronunciation. I believe a vastly majority of Americans would recognize the name long before they would recognize the logo. And "K.I.A." is not something I've ever heard, it's "Killed in Action" (just one more syllable), to most of us civilians at least.

Is this something that is discussed among military people?
It's as recognizable and commonplace as if someone said OSX here. And of course you all know that there's an airport designated OSX, right?

OSX is the IATA code for Kosciusko-Attala County Airport – Kosciusko, Mississippi, United States.
If Kia wants to lose potential sales (ESPECIALLY in the demographic most apt to buy their cars, the less than affluent military segment of the population and those who do eat, drink, sleep and live in a 'RED STATE' world who have lost friends and relatives in wars since Vietnam) then they shouldn't change a thing. But look at the results of our little poll and all you business experts out there tell me how smart is it to ignore the loss of 15% of your potential business.
( Last edited by abe; Aug 16, 2007 at 05:07 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 05:10 PM

15%? Where do you get these numbers? What are you talking about when you say Red States? Plenty of KIAs sold in this blue state.

Once again you've managed to turn a simplistic coincidence into a rousing speculation-fest.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 05:19 PM

15%? Where do you get these numbers?

I can make up stats too, 90% of your threads are ridiculous!

Also, plenty of people buy KIAs here in this blue state. Once again I have no idea where you get this stuff.
Please restrain your passions.

I took our poll results, adjusted them for MacNN's heavy liberal membership and, voila.

Plenty of people do buy them. But how many will not buy Kia's simply due to their ill-chosen name?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 05:25 PM

Considering that the NN is such a tiny sample population AND one of the negative responses is from you I wouldn't put to much faith in the 15% mark.

I also changed my post to reflect a less bastard side of me, although my 90% thing was in jest.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 05:27 PM

I also changed my post to reflect a less bastard side of me, although my 90% thing was in jest.
I thought it was an underestimation.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 05:29 PM

Truth in every jest, you said it earlier in this thread my friend.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 05:32 PM

Considering that the NN is such a tiny sample population AND one of the negative responses is from you I wouldn't put to much faith in the 15% mark.

Your skepticism is noted. However, until anyone comes up with data which convincingly dispels my scientific conclusion ( ) the 15% figure is the benchmark we all must agree to.

You can be a lovely guy when you want to be.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 05:32 PM

adjusted them for MacNN's heavy liberal membership and, voila.
Man, this is getting weird now.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 05:34 PM

I thought it was an underestimation.
Maybe you shouldn't.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 05:35 PM

Abe has a severe condition that encourages him to post his political leanings in the lounge...luckily I think Merck is working on a pill that would direct his attention to the P/L.

It's called "Directyourzealotryelsewhere"

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 05:37 PM

Man, this is getting weird now.
I know. But there's nothing more I can do about it than make you aware of the fact.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 05:51 PM

Abe has a severe condition that encourages him to post his political leanings in the lounge...luckily I think Merck is working on a pill that would direct his attention to the P/L.

It's called "Directyourzealotryelsewhere"
More pork rinds are sold and consumed in Red States than Blue States I guess you don't think there's any political connection there?

The fact that you don't believe it matters little.

Some things are true whether you believe them or not.

City of Angels - 1998

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 06:01 PM

Red States contain a larger population than the blue states?

The problem with this topic (and most of yours) is that you come into a discussion already claiming victory. Why should we participate in a meaningful debate when you already know you're right?

The fact you quote a crappy Nick Cage movie only confuses me further.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2007, 06:24 PM

Seriously Abe, is this whole thing a joke? I've never heard anyone, military or otherwise, make this comparison between the name Kia and the acronym for Killed in Action. I seriously doubt this has effected their sales in anyway. You're gonna have to work to prove your 15% theory. Care to cite some sources for that number?

While we're on the subject; should I no longer get the awesome chicken and broccoli garlic pie at Mama Mia's Pizza down the street? I mean, you could say they are offending the memory of those that shall not be forgotten by having "mia" in the name of their business, and that is along the same ridiculous lines as the Kia thing, isn't it?

And I'm pretty sure you've been told about the "liberal" digs being made outside of the political lounge, so give that tired garbage a rest, please and thank you.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2007, 07:17 PM

When it takes someone with your qualifications to have to explain the difference to me I'd say the KIA Motors people have already lost the PR war.
I have qualifications?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 07:19 PM

Red States contain a larger population than the blue states?

The problem with this topic (and most of yours) is that you come into a discussion already claiming victory. Why should we participate in a meaningful debate when you already know you're right?

The fact you quote a crappy Nick Cage movie only confuses me further.
That is as ridiculous a rationale as could be for not participating in a discussion. When people debate are you saying both should be clueless?

Just because I'm not doesn't mean you shouldn't participate, it means you should get your ducks in a row and help me change my mind if you can.

Forum Links
Forum Rules