Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pres. Bush, willing to risk out soldier's life by playing politics. What an outrage!

Pres. Bush, willing to risk out soldier's life by playing politics. What an outrage! (Page 3)
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2007, 07:01 AM

I swear your mother must have used heavy drugs when she was pregnant with you.
There are 3 separate things I discussed: The constitution, the War Powers Act, the funding bill with the timeline.
Those things are not one in the same.

The bill you brought up at the start of this thread has nothing to do with the War Powers Act. NOTHING. ZERO. NADA.
Your bill is an appropriations bill that congress is attempting to attach a timeline provision to. The issues surrounding that bill being invalid are parallel but not the same as the issues with the WPA. Nevertheless that funding bill doesn't matter because that bill will be killed by veto and won't be overturned.
The WPA was brought up, by me, in the midst of a discussion over the constitution and each branch's rights. You had no idea it ever existed before that.

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
So Captain Obvious went from saying:

Congress has the power to recall our troops

Captain Obvious, make up your mind. Does congress has the authority to withdraw our troops or not?
1) Congress has the right to cancel the resolution they passed in 2002.
They have NOT attempted to do it. You don't seem to ever question why this all important vote has not happened which is a shame because its crucial for you.
That would effectively reverse the permission they gave the President to enter Iraq with. That vote would be the starting point for them to even ATTEMPT to end troop involvement. Without that resolution reversal they are not really demanding to bring troops back. It is necessary to justify the authority to move to the next step.

Congress is authorized by the War Powers Act to vote and say the troops are recalled. If that vote passes they have in effect recalled the troops. What they don't know is if that recall would mean anything because it would require a court decision for it to actually happen. Democrats have to put into motion that recall power for this to be tested but they refuse to give it a try.
It is straightforward: They nullify the resolution. They vote. They recall. The right of Congress is approved or denied by the Supreme Court.

Congress has the authorization. The question is if that power is even valid. Your response to this question is dribble. The War Powers Act has never been fully used since it was made up in 1973 and the odds aren't in its favor of it holding up if tested.
And note this has nothing to do with funding.

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
To:

Congress don't have a legal authority to force the President to withdraw our troops
Make up you mind buddy.
2) Congress will never have the authority to tell the PRESIDENT to bring the troops back.
If congress wants the troops back congress has to vote do it themselves.
Can you read carefully enough to understand that difference?
Congress has no legal authority to dictate the president's actions despite what the funding bill says. This is not up for debate.

Your problem is that you are grouping together posts I made in response to separate points and treating them as if I am talking about the same thing in every one.
There are no contradictions you just aren't bright enough to separate the topics from the arguments.
Taken in chronological order with the text I quoted from others showing what I was responding to it is crystal clear.

Again, you don't have the slightest idea what the hell you are talking about.
I defer to Cipher now because I am tired of repeating myself. Just remove the winks because I am dead serious when I say that if anyone tries to understand your way of thinking it will only kill their braincells.
Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I'm done with you. Our discussion has been played out to its fullest. Let the readers decide who they want to agree with from here... and if they agree with you, they're wrong too.

By the way, it's hard not to be conceited with so many idiots hanging around.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Apr 19, 2007 at 07:18 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2007, 02:16 PM

Captain Obvious, your inconsistent and contradictory arguments makes it obvious to me that you don't know what you are talking about.

You starting out bashing Congress by calling them cowards because threaten to withhold funds instead of going the direct route by recalling our troops, a power granted by the War Powers Act.

Then you argue Congress cannot enact on this power if it is attach to a fund bill with a timeline.

Then you argue Congress has no right to recall our troops because the War Powers Act is unconstitutional.

Your arguments don't back up your initial statement that Congress is cowardly by not using the War Powers Act to recall the troops. Your arguments not only does not back that up, it contradicts your initiate statement.

As a grader for the bar exam, you receive a failing grade.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 03:27 AM

Something just occured to me. I'm not certain if it would work, but what do you guys think if we shipped a couple million pigs to Iraq. Have one one every single street. If one of those idiots blew them selves up, they would be mixed with pigs blood and go to hell. There would be no more suicide bombings or any war activity. Everyone would be scared to fight. Heck as soon as the pigs got there our boys could come home immeadiately.

I know it's crazy and stupid. I just had to mention it. Feel free to tear the idea apart.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Something just occured to me. I'm not certain if it would work, but what do you guys think if we shipped a couple million pigs to Iraq. Have one one every single street. If one of those idiots blew them selves up, they would be mixed with pigs blood and go to hell. There would be no more suicide bombings or any war activity. Everyone would be scared to fight. Heck as soon as the pigs got there our boys could come home immeadiately.

I know it's crazy and stupid. I just had to mention it. Feel free to tear the idea apart.
Muslims can kill pigs, they just can't eat them.

And if you want to be really technical, they have an exception for situations in which the pork is forced upon them.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules