Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Market share going up

Market share going up
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2003, 12:00 AM

Some good news from Fred Anderson's conference call, reported by the Mac Observer:

[Wr]apping up the look at retail operations, Mr. Anderson said that Apple has seen significant gains in consumer market share. In Apple's own retail locations, Mr. Anderson iterated the figure he gave during the June quarter's conference call that 50% of Mac system buyers were new to the Mac platform. ... As a whole, he said that Apple's share of the consumer market had risen to 3.5% in the June quarter, up from 1.5% in the June quarter of 2001.

Apple also gained market share during the last quarter in the education space, an area where Apple has given up market share during the last several years. Mr. Anderson said that the company's share of the education market rose to 16% during the June quarter, up from 15% the prior quarter.

More importantly, from Apple's standpoint, the company claimed some 30% of the portable segment of the education market, up from 24% the prior year. Looking forward, Mr. Anderson says that projections say that desktop systems sales to education will be flat through 2007, with the portable market rising throughout the same period. According to the CFO, this gives the company an edge going forward, and is why Apple has focused more strongly in selling portables to schools. Specifically, Apple expects to see more efforts to get a portable to every student in many school districts, and he called Apple a "first mover" in such efforts.

[...]

In Apple's other markets, Mr. Anderson said that there were signs the creative markets, Apple['s] stronghold, had finally reached a bottom, and were beginning to rebound. Mr. Anderson cited surveys that said customers in those markets who were looking to buy new computers in the next year were 75%-90% likely to buy new Macs. If so, that would represent market share gains for Apple in that space.
Sure, these calls are always about positive spin, but it seems there's actually something to be positive about. Nice.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2003, 08:48 AM

I think the Apple stores are REALLY helping out. It shows consumers that:

A) Apple is not dead
B) Apple offers a compelling lineup of computers
C) There are software titles for the mac (and there is a location to pick them up)
D) It gives consumers peace of mind (there is always someone to talk to)
E) You are not alone after purchasing an "alternative" operating system.

Hopefully the G5 will continue to increase in speed over the next year POUNDING the PIV.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2003, 09:26 AM

This is some good news. Wait wait. I thought Apple was Dying? I thought they were being bought out? I thought... Oh that's right some stupid unfounded rumors that have abounded for years and still won't DIE. I hope this good news will help to finally KILL some of that stuff.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2003, 10:14 AM

This is good for my 32 AAPL stock. I promised myself to go 64 when Apple did with their processors, so I'll need to whip up some money soon.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2003, 06:58 PM

After the creative market bottomed out, I think it was because of the users waiting for a new Macintosh. The whole Motorola fiasco was pretty bad. Now that IBM is running the show and Apple is back in the forfront of the pack, creative professionals (especially Audio pros) will be jumping back in for a new G5.

I see EXCELLENT sales in the creative district for Apple.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules