Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iBook AC Adapter Shooting sparks!

iBook AC Adapter Shooting sparks!
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2003, 10:58 PM

Yeah so over the past few months my iBook's AC adapter has developed a condition where you'd sometimes have to play with the cord (the one that goes from it to the ibook) and have it in a specific position for it to work. But it has worked, and I've left it on the floor and haven't touched it so it always works when I plug it in. It was kind of a pain but it was getting by. Today while i was sitting on the floor working on an old laser printer & a 6100, i though i saw a flash out of the corner of my eye, i looked and saw nothing, so went back to my business, then i saw it again, and looked back, still nothing. It was right in front of my server, a Mac Clone, so I though it might have been a random LED flashing (you know how those ATX cases are). Then I saw it, and quickly moved to it, and it started going nuts. It completely toasted a section of the cable. The iBook is alright but I have the juice thats left in the battery and thats all. At least my house didn't catch on fire though!!
Anyone have an extra AC adapter lying around :-P

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 12:38 AM

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2003, 12:41 AM

I've had an iBook smoke before; however, never seen sparks from the AC Adapter...

Mohammed Atef
Banned
Location: Fertiliser for opium poppies outside of Kabul, killed as I was attempting to flee the American infidel wrath and their righteous pursuit of justice.
Nov 10, 2003, 12:47 AM

some adapters were recalled.
missed that, did ya?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 02:07 AM

Which ones? I bought it used so yeah I missed that. It was a white square one, not a yo yo.

Mohammed Atef
Banned
Location: Fertiliser for opium poppies outside of Kabul, killed as I was attempting to flee the American infidel wrath and their righteous pursuit of justice.
Nov 10, 2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
Which ones? I bought it used so yeah I missed that. It was a white square one, not a yo yo.
uh-oh. the white squares should be good to go.

tintub
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 02:36 AM

It's pretty common where the cable meets the jack at the computer end. I've had a couple of adapters go like that. Even if you have applecare, the warranty for the power supply is 1 year (Apple count it as a consumable). So if your year is up, bad luck. I think I have bought 3 (2 yoyos and a white plug one) in my time, and I think its crap that they charge so much for them. (> $100)

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 02:39 AM

They are $80 in the US... but yeah its still way too much. But mine was at the base of the adapter, not the computer end.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 03:31 AM

I had a similar problem with an iBook once... I too had to buy a new adapter.

Unrelated point: I had a good 'spark/electric shock' incident over the weekend...

I was cutting the hedge in front of my house with some hedge trimers (with a hangover) and managed to cut clean through the cable. The cable then sparked, smoked, then caught alight and burned through about 3 metres of the flex!

Kinda cool to look at, but I confess that I did dive for cover after the initial breakage! (much to the amusement of my girlfriend who was watching!)

Decided to go in and have a beer after that... somehow tasted sweeter than it usually does!

Peace,

Marc

Oh and everyone, USE A POWERBREAKER! saved me from serious injury...

willed
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I had a similar problem with an iBook once... I too had to buy a new adapter.

Unrelated point: I had a good 'spark/electric shock' incident over the weekend...

I was cutting the hedge in front of my house with some hedge trimers (with a hangover) and managed to cut clean through the cable. The cable then sparked, smoked, then caught alight and burned through about 3 metres of the flex!

Kinda cool to look at, but I confess that I did dive for cover after the initial breakage! (much to the amusement of my girlfriend who was watching!)

Decided to go in and have a beer after that... somehow tasted sweeter than it usually does!

Peace,

Marc

Oh and everyone, USE A POWERBREAKER! saved me from serious injury...
You genius!

I've had problems with my iBook yo-yo for ages - I have to do that thing you were talking about, wiggling the cable around to get it into the right position. It better not blow up. I know the iBook has a good battery life, but I'm not sure it would last the '10 business days' that it takes Apple UK to ship anything.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 04:30 AM

Chances are yours will, if you have to wiggle the connection that means its a loose connection just like mine, and really at any time it could start sparking, so be very careful where you put it. Away from rugs and gasoline :-)

I must admit I also cut the cord while trimming hedges once, although there was no diving for cover, i was just like "hmmmm I always wondered what would happen" then i went and got a new cord. It really wasn't my fault though, why on earth would you make an outdoor extension cord GREEN!!! To make sure you wouldn't see it!!!! Thats why every other one in the world is ORANGE!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules