Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > ATI 9800 Inquiry

ATI 9800 Inquiry
kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 12:10 PM

I'm looking to tradeup for an ATI 9800 128 graphics card for my Dual 867. Does anyone have this configuration and tell me what kind of improvements it has over the stock nVidia card? Thanks.

Have you seen my pants?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 12:46 PM

The biggest difference is that you'll be able to run games with higher quality grahpics options with little impact on performance. You won't notice the impact at low resolutions, but at high resolutions (1024x768 and above) you should notice that performance will be the same. That means the games will be more CPU limited than anything. The video cards is basically starving for information. The retail Radeon 9800 Pro even has some features to allow you to increase visual quality even more. It has a control panel to allow you to use full scene antialiasing and anisotropic filtering in most OpenGL apps, even ones which don't have FSAA and AF support built in. And all that comes at almost no performance hit (depends on the game and the screen resolution usually. 1600x1200 and 6xFSAA might slow down some games which use a lot of VRAM).

kdogg73  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 12:56 PM

Blasted bus speed. I figured this was going to be the case. I guess I'll just have to wait and get a G5. Thanks for the info.

Have you seen my pants?

Forum Links
Forum Rules