Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How many people here have IT-type jobs?

How many people here have IT-type jobs?
Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 12:50 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many people around here would consider their vocation (if they've got one, that is) to be IT-related? If you do, what capacity? What kind of organization? Mac/PC ratio?

I'm 2nd in command (out of 2 full-time people ) of the IT department for a school district consisting of 5 elementaries, a middle school, and a high school. We've got about 4300 users, staff and students, 1000+ computers (95% Mac).

�Y tu?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2003, 12:55 AM

I am...

The largest Elementary/Junior High district in Illinois...

Are currently implementing Phase 2 of a $10 million 1-to-1 deployment of iBooks...

Were all Wintel 6 months ago....

Now we are 75/25 Mac/PC....

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2003, 01:42 AM

Computer Support for the Applied Art & Design department for Sierra College. Help dminister 100+ Macs. Mostly eMacs, but we have Dual 1.45 professor workstations, PowerBooks, a few iMacs, one B&W G3 lab, and a Dual 1GHz XServe with 1.5GB RAM running Panther 10.3.1.

Seeing as how both of you are also working for schools, would you both agree that it's the coolest job ever? I absolutely LOVE working for schools.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cipher13
Dec 9, 2003, 04:10 AM

Sysadmin... after I get my degree though, I don't plan on going anywhere near IT fulltime.

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 04:37 AM

Kim Vexborg

IBM Call Screening
NetVista North
Greenock, Scotland, U.K
Internal: Kim Vexborg/UK/Contr/IBM@IBMGB
External: kvexbor at uk dot ibm dot com

Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 05:12 AM

Still in university, so I am a junior sys admin.

We are about 50/50.

I aspire to be a game developer when I finish though.

tintub
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 06:45 AM

Software Engineer - developing online learning software and other stuff

Great job, great boss, great pay

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 07:05 AM

Does computer scientist major count?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 07:19 AM

Web developer. Work for myself, employ one other guy. I use a Mac, he uses a PC.

Server runs Linux. All run nicely together.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 09:11 AM

I am responsilbe for all multimedia support at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. I run our electronic meeting rooms, do our videoconferencing, support all the technology needs of our public programs, do a minimal amount of video editing, and do Mac desktop support on the side. We have about a 9:1 PC-Mac ratio Institution wide.

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Seeing as how both of you are also working for schools, would you both agree that it's the coolest job ever? I absolutely LOVE working for schools.
How is it working for a school/school district? I have been thinking about leaving my job for a school district. I know I would take a significant pay cut but it would be nice to work 9-5 in an academic setting; I wouldn't even mind working in the Summer. Now I work so many nights and weekends I earn almost three weeks of comp. time per year on top of the regular 3 weeks of leave I get every year.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 09:13 AM

I work as a biologist but in addition masquerade as software/hardware support for my all-Mac department in drug research at a psychiatric hospital. Every day I learn something new.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
How is it working for a school/school district?
It has it's pros and cons like any job. The one major drawback is that if you are not at an admin level, you'll never make good $$$ and not get alot of the benefits teachers do (Salary Lane credit, etc)...you'll be stuck in a standard (4%, if lucky) raise each year with not alot of ways to "move up" in the district...

But, it's great to work from 7-3:30 PM if you ask me, only work 4 days/week in the summer, have all the student holiday/breaks off, and work with children (if you like that sort of thing)...

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2003, 10:36 AM

Computer Science researcher. Means I spend most of my time either reading or writing on this little ol' iBook. The rest of the time I'm massaging my destroyed wrist.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2003, 10:46 AM

I used to be a Windows Sys admin for an engineering group. Some server work, too much deskside support. Made the change about 7 months ago now to a Solaris admin position inside the same company. No more deskside, but a lot of work getting away from a gui based os to a text based OS...I like it and I'll be venturing into linux heavily really soon...
Joe

iWrite
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 11:15 AM

I guess I might qualify.

At M$oft for 7 years through college and then some. Software testing, then to piracy department, then to advertising department, then to public relations department.

Went into media afterwards.

Was writing HTML for the online news site for a very *large* online news site.

Kind of morphed into a content editor through that position/opportunity.

Home on pregnancy leave now until next summer, but still work out of the home office part-time.

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2003, 12:11 PM

Research Coordinator for statewide (GA) project evaluation for tech implementations of the "No Child Left Behind Act."

Built website/php/mysql tools for project logging and student evaluation for evaluation data capture.

Teachers have it tough. There are so many mandates, and so little action and funding to back it up.

Wish I had a catchier title.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 9, 2003, 12:31 PM

most of my jobs have been IT related.

i battle clowns regularly.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2003, 12:49 PM

I fix Macs, in a Mac only service center. Usually it's fun... not today though, my boss has a bee in his ass for some reason. Maybe he'll fire me! Nah, can't be so lucky...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 01:31 PM

Security Consultant.

Thus, I tell you what you need, or how to do it. But I don't actually do it for you... unless you pay me more (or actually, my company).

wolfen
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
I aspire to be a game developer when I finish though.
I'm a contract IT guy. One of my customers is a game design company. They make some major PS/2 games. Cool guys. Of all my customers, only the Bio/Chem scientists are more interesting/cool/fun. The game groupies are more reclusive, have fewer social skills.

The rest of the customers....(am I digressing? I realy wanna complain, today)

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 05:53 PM

Well then, besides being a computer science major I write technical articles mostly about microprocessors and related hardware or issues. I also do a lot of hardware testing, debugging and benching for Europe's biggest AMD hardware online magazine, can't wait to get my hands on that Dual Opteron next week.

I also write articles for a German hardware magazine (PC Games Hardware) that are also always hardware related and very technical.

I've also been programming (and doing other IT-related stuff) for Siemens for two years and got downsized last winter. Ever since then, I was not able to find a new job because as fun as writing articles and reviews, benching, debugging and testing hardware may be, it doesn't even pay the rent. So for the last year, I've been sitting in a hotel at night three nights a week, doing basically nothing.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

mfdynusore
Dec 9, 2003, 06:09 PM

Mainframe Systems Programmer (though the job title is different). First computer job was operating an IBM 1401. My company has about 4k PCs and 20 Macs.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 06:12 PM

Network grunt.

Work for a small software company. Our IT dept is the CTO and 2 of us grunts. The other guy does the public side of our network and I'm the LAN guy. So I do desktop support (95% windows) and our bleeding edge Cisco VoIP phone system.

Its a dead-end, boring as hell job that pays mediocre. Luckily, the people I work with and for are really terrific. I'm lucky to be here and I'm grateful for it.

I'm looking to get out of LA, however, so if anyone is looking for someone.....
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 07:14 PM

not me...i throw around soda all day

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

sebastian haff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 08:45 PM

IBEW local #332 Voice, Data, Video. I do ALL the hardware and the IT guys load some softwre and get paid the big bucks

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2003, 04:09 PM

How is it working for a school/school district? I have been thinking about leaving my job for a school district. I know I would take a significant pay cut but it would be nice to work 9-5 in an academic setting; I wouldn't even mind working in the Summer. Now I work so many nights and weekends I earn almost three weeks of comp. time per year on top of the regular 3 weeks of leave I get every year.
I love it. You get union benefits even for classified jobs, so you get the whole health/dental/401(k) thing and don't have to worry about them being pulled from under you.

Time really flies, too. You're always working on something new and it's always time-consuming. Not that it always takes a long time, but that you get involved in the projects that time just flies. The best part (I think) is when the department gets new computers. Delivery truck with 10 boxes of brand new Macs. Really fun to set them up and see them working.

Plus, since it's in a school atmosphere rather than a professional atmosphere (not that you shouldn't act professional, mind you) it's a LOT more laid back than in a business-type setting. When your list's done and everything's going great, you get to goof off.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
I'm looking to get out of LA, however, so if anyone is looking for someone.....
Far ye be warned! Leveth thee LA and great fastfood & delies find ye not!

My dad grew up in LA and I visited there a few times. You're never gonna find a burger joint like Tommy's anywhere outside of LA. Just a warning.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by wolfen:
I'm a contract IT guy. One of my customers is a game design company. They make some major PS/2 games.
That wouldn't happen to be Rockstar now would it?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 08:59 PM

IT consultant here. I don't get my hands dirty anymore since I no longer do any programming. Requirements analysis, high level design, and project management on custom .NET projects are how I earn a living these days.

OAW

dawho9
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 09:30 PM

How is working for a school district?

I have to agree with everyone else. I am the Network Admin for the seventh largest school district in Minnesota. Have 14 people in the department and everyone is great to work with.

We have 2500 employees, 14,000 students and over 5000 computers. Almost each and everyone of them is a PC and we run all Novell.

However, the remaining 220 Mac's in the district, now all run OSX because I was pushing hard for it. But I fear, we are only a few more years before all of those nice Mac's are gone and we are a 100% PC shop.

Even with that, I still love it. We get a lot of freedom and get to try out new technologies all of the time. Just got done implimenting a 3-Node Novell Cluster and SAN. Starting a 1.5 Million dollar fiber project that will link all 24 sites via fiber.

The hours are great! My boss wants to have maximum coverage between me and the other Net Admin, so I work from 5:30 AM to 2:30 PM. Great benefits (well - OK benefits - but the teachers keep getting more stuff each year, so we get those benefits also).

dw9

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
most of my jobs have been IT related.

i battle clowns regularly.
Now that was golden.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 11:13 PM

I do some freelance work for a company that makes animations for commercials. Most of my work is strreamlining their workflow via custom apps (small stuff. I can't code to save my life).
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Cipher13
Dec 10, 2003, 11:29 PM

It's excellent. Given that I'm young, I get along well with both the students and the teachers. It's something new every day.

Sucks that I have to use Novell (I'm required to by the CEO), but... I just bypass those boxes and use 'em for backups, mostly

We're 100% Mac, apart from the Volera box, which I use on the ISDN (though most traffic goes through aDSL, and through an OS X Server box).

insha
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 12:25 AM

I'm a system analyst, working at a logistics company, and surrounded by PC Weenies and trolls -- being the only Mac person, my average day is like the big battle scene from LOTR 2

I can't believe the ignorance of these people , I even take my TiBook (10.3) to work hook it up to the network and do things faster and easier than them and show of all the goodies of X -- the maginifying Dock always gets the second biggest (positive) responce from them the first being Expose.

todrain
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 01:35 AM

While I don't work on PCs as pat of my job description, we have a wacked Access database that we use to do purchasing that never works right, so I've had to become a systems expert to troubleshoot the problems.

sideus
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 01:42 AM

Had an IT job. Have since changed careers and now work in law enforcement.

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
Had an IT job. Have since changed careers and now work in law enforcement.
It's easier, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules