Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Critique my progress: new flagship

Critique my progress: new flagship
grphxstud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 12:34 AM

Some of you may remember FlagShip from the past. Well, I'm working on a new update. This version will be called FlagShip Evolution because it has matured quite a bit. FlagShip Evolution is still bright and colorful, so if you've never liked it you never will. For those who have enjoyed it in the past, please review this beta release and tell me where it needs work.

FYI... iTUnes, bevel buttons, the image well, and a few other things are still being redone. Icons are included (finally), but not finished. Otherwise, its ready and functional for Panther users.

Download FlagShip beta

Full size screenshot

Stephen Topsy
TopsyDesigns

PimPamPet
Apr 29, 2005, 02:58 AM

Talking about an improvement! Still don't know if I will ever use it, but this looks promising.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 04:08 AM

Well, I'll be frank: I wasn't much of a fan before, but you are certainly taking it in a direction that I am liking. You've softended a lot of the colors and made it nice and gummy-licious. Honestly, it's not something I'd use, but I'm in the group you mentioned in your post...the type that didn't like it before and probably won't like it now. Except, I actually kinda do like it now.

I'd say you're doing a good job with it and are demonstrating a significant improvement in your talents with that upgrade.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 04:16 AM

I just keep liking this more and more... keep it up! Each release keeps getting more refined... you are doing some very good work!

grphxstud  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 07:45 AM

Thank you for your quick responses. When I first started flagship I did every element without much thought for the big picture. Someone once called it "playskool" and I laughed for the longest time. It kind of had (and still does to some degree) the feeling of those plastic magnetized alphabet peices that you place on the fridge. That said, I think the only way to really get a true impression of this theme is to install it. Screenshots just never seem to capture it.
Stephen Topsy
TopsyDesigns

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2005, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by grphxstud
<snip>That said, I think the only way to really get a true impression of this theme is to install it. Screenshots just never seem to capture it.
Sorry to disagree partially on this one, grphxstud.
If memory serves me right, you had desktop pictures to go with the former version. So as the designer, you're well placed to present your theme with a fitting background, icons, etc. and people will most likely start seeing the potential of a global setup.
BTW, Finder Toolbar Buttons are very cute.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2005, 12:16 PM

I'm a big fan of the earlier FlagShip themes. But those Finder buttons make me ill to the point where I don't want to use the theme. Maybe I should stop talking since I use Tiger at the moment and ShapeShifter has not been upgraded yet.

Maybe if I used the theme I would feel otherwise. But the Finder buttons just does not fit IMHO. I much prefer the type of Finder buttons in 2.5.1 (I think it was) I hope you will take those back. Are you going to make the Safari skin the same with those horrible buttons ?

Are you going to make variations of the theme like you did with 2.5.1 (again, I think it was that release-the latest nonbeta) ?

Otherwise I like the theme. With the colors and all. I always have.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 05:41 PM

I adore this theme and love the direction that you're taking it. Suggestion is to make the rollover states of the titlebar widgets similar in style to your spiffy new Finder toolbar buttons. Might be too much if they were always "popped" like that, but on rollover, might be cool.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

grphxstud  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
I'm a big fan of the earlier FlagShip themes. But those Finder buttons make me ill to the point where I don't want to use the theme. Maybe I should stop talking since I use Tiger at the moment and ShapeShifter has not been upgraded yet.

Maybe if I used the theme I would feel otherwise. But the Finder buttons just does not fit IMHO. I much prefer the type of Finder buttons in 2.5.1 (I think it was) I hope you will take those back. Are you going to make the Safari skin the same with those horrible buttons ?

Are you going to make variations of the theme like you did with 2.5.1 (again, I think it was that release-the latest nonbeta) ?

Otherwise I like the theme. With the colors and all. I always have.
If I get enough complaints I will change the Finder buttons, but I will not change them back to the previous style because they don't work well with the other changes I've made to the theme. Something similar to version 2.5.1... perhaps, but not the same. The Safari skin does have those buttons at the moment. And I agree in that regard. I don't like that look for Safari. I just want this version to have more uniformity than the past releases have had. I guess thats the point behind a "beta" release.... to figure out what works and what doesn't. So far though, most people who have emailed me think these finder buttons are cleaner and more pleasing.

As far as variations, I haven't decided for sure. In the past, the main point of variations for this theme was to address the fact that the metal windows might be too blue for some people. In that vain, I've tried to make the metal windows in 2.5.1 have a similar look to the regular windows. I don't like that idea for this version, but I might do it anyway. I was thinking that I might do a stark white variation in which every element was based on bright white with blue trim. I haven't done it though for fear that it might look like a cheap imitation of Milk or SimpleX.
Stephen Topsy
TopsyDesigns

grphxstud  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by smeger
I adore this theme and love the direction that you're taking it. Suggestion is to make the rollover states of the titlebar widgets similar in style to your spiffy new Finder toolbar buttons. Might be too much if they were always "popped" like that, but on rollover, might be cool.
Smeger...

I had the same idea. I tried it before I released the beta.... didn't work :-(
Stephen Topsy
TopsyDesigns

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2005, 06:28 AM

@grphxstud, I think you should try and make that white variation. It might just look cool. Atleast I think it would.

Maybe the Finder buttons are nicer now that I look at them some more. I won't comment anymore since I can't try the theme out for myself yet since i'm on Tiger. ShapeShifter refuses to work.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 30, 2005, 06:42 AM

If said author was smart, he would offer the separate files out of the theme so people that don't want to use SS don't have to.

Otherwise, someone might make a theme just like it, and "undercut" you.

And that way, people with Tiger can install it and test it out as well.

Big Daddy P
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 07:36 AM

Was digging it before I upgraded to Tiger. Now I'll have to wait for shapeshifter to see it again.

Nice work...

Kudos to you for creting a more colorful skin for those of us who actually like color and have seen enough boring grey/white themes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules