Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Jerusalem Stone

Jerusalem Stone
Makki
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2004, 09:00 PM

Makki Studios had another inspiration and has started a new theme called "Jerusalem Stone".

This will mark my first theme that is completely my own not a port or mod.
I was inspired by photos i have of Jerusalem Israel and also with my own memories of having been there several times in my life.

I am very happy so far how this is developing and am looking forward to seeing this come more and more the way i see it in my mind.

The texture in metal windows is amazing imo. I just want to find how i can apply such textures to both titlebars and to places such as system preferences besides the toolbar.

Note: I am not aiming to have any sort of aqua tiger or any osx windows etc look whatsoever, this theme of mine is based solely on my concept of Jerusalem stone.

Makki
( Last edited by Makki; Jun 7, 2005 at 01:53 AM. )

Makki  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2004, 09:57 PM

well i am glad i like it

acronym16
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2004, 10:11 PM

Well it is refreshing from all those other themes, very very different. I must say that I am not a big fan of it though, I like my themes to be smooooooth but to each his own. Good luck with you're first theme, it's damn hard somethimes lol.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast

Yeah...

I'm not sure it is to everyone's taste Makki, but it should fill a void and make some people very happy. I quite like it, but probably wouldn't use it. It reminds me a little of DragonTongue's themes, using natural stony or papery textures.

Off topic: Makki, I was wondering if your Glasstunes Widget was available anywhere, or if maybe you could send it to me? My eMail is ... [email protected] ... Thanks.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster

It needs a bit of work. Remember, I'm only doing this to make sure it turns out better.

Remember, I'm very harsh, but here it goes:
The metal window texture isn't bad. May need a little touching up. Looks a little bit like its not a tileable texture.

The window widgets need work. Wait, they totally need to be redone. They look kind of like they were taken directly from a photo. Maybe a layer styles attempt would yield something pretty cool.

Maybe the tittlebar could be a little less flat.
And don't try to recolor anything.

There's alot of potential there. What if you went for a different angle? What if you tried to replicate a brownish/yellow stone in photoshop without it making look like it was taken from a picture. I have this idea in my head for something, but I can't describe it.

I'll try to whip something up in the next day or so.

But keep working on it. There is alot of potential for another great textured theme.

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2004, 04:14 AM

I definitely love it... I too have been to Israel many times over the years... this theme is quite refreshing! Can't wait for the finished product.

omnicrom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2004, 04:27 AM

I love the idea, the concept and the artistic freedom expressed .. go for it.. I look forward to using it.

Makki  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2004, 04:38 AM

Hey thanks guys it is so encouraging to hear comments like that it makes me want to cary on

Makki

skellington
Dec 19, 2004, 10:26 AM

Nice idea Makki!!
kenichi yoshida
www.kenichiyoshida.jp

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2004, 07:11 PM

Oye Vey!
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

Makki  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 04:54 AM

Let me reiterate here that i started this theme from a inspiration in my mind without any other theme etc to lok to or compare etc the only reference is in my mind and in my photos etc.

I am doing this theme for Yerushalyim and shall not be deviating much from way it is now.
If when released people dont want to use it or dont like it etc well thats ok. I am not going to deviate from the original vision i had for doing this so once complete i will be so happy to see what is only a splinter in my mind a actually reality.

Ciao 4 now
Makki

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2004, 11:15 PM

I like the textures a lot, but I have to agree that the widgets need to be finished up some more. And it does reming me of Jerusalem a lot!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

jaco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2004, 11:36 PM

I like evryting, when is it coming?

Vi0
Baninated
Dec 25, 2004, 12:23 PM

This topic makes me laugh. Everyone is afraid to say anything critical about the Jews or Jewishness in general. You may like this theme, but I think it looks like crap from a design point of view. I'd like to see a theme based on Stonehenge. Now that would be cool.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Vi0:
This topic makes me laugh. Everyone is afraid to say anything critical about the Jews or Jewishness in general. You may like this theme, but I think it looks like crap from a design point of view. I'd like to see a theme based on Stonehenge. Now that would be cool.
It's a theme based on a city it has nothing to do with the jewish religion in general.. If you have something critical to say about it say it and i will be sure to give you hell

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2004, 01:21 PM

Wether you like a theme or not, should not stand in the way of a fair judgement on how the designer succeeds to project his inspiration onto an OSX theme.
Good luck, Makki.

zakhm-e-dil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2004, 01:22 PM

Jerusalem doesn't have much to do with the Jewish religion? I think you need to read a history book.

Anyways, looks nice... I wouldn't use it though, not my style.

- a Muslim

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2004, 03:47 PM

once you finish the initial inspiration open-source it so the Taoists will have version of their own...

and as for the history . . . We really don't need to hammer this out on this forum.
So for those after me - don't jack the thread for your personal crusade.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 05:04 PM

I don't really have room to talk, I don't have enough patients to ever build a theme. At least I don't think I do. I've never tried. Anyhow... It feels like you've shown the preview WAY to far inadvance. The widgets look last minute and funky. I'm also not a huge fan of the colors. I see you're looking to do a stone color but in everday application I think that the theme won't last more then a few days on most systems. Perhaps a darker (or lighter) version of that stone might be more pleasing to the eye, However this is my eye we're talking about. Right now the whole thing doesn't feel like it fits together. I don't like how the finder window, the minimal finder window, and the Apple Bar are completely different. Also how the icon you have in the apple logo although might match your theme won't be visually appealing as a standard use theme for more then 10 minutes.

I know you might be building this theme for yourself and you don't care if other people will use it or not. But then again, why would you ask for our input then?

siMac
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
I don't have enough patients to ever build a theme.
And I don't have the patience to be a doctor, either.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

R3z
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2004, 07:56 PM

Conceptually, I like it. It's good to see variety, can't tell you how little I like tabbing through page after page of identical themes. For the most part, I'll hold back on critiquing it, because it's very obviously a work in progress, and saying things like "the widgets don't look good" would be a bit premature. However, I do agree that for a theme based on stone, it looks pretty flat. What I think would be really cool is to do a legitimately 3d-textured look - give it some depth, make it look like a window made of stone, rather than a window painted like stone. I think the idea of remaking the texture in PS rather than pulling a copy/paste may be sound advice, as your window texture does appear to repeat a great deal. I like the concept, though - Good luck.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Vi0:
This topic makes me laugh. Everyone is afraid to say anything critical about the Jews or Jewishness in general.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Please don't derail this thread

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2005, 02:15 AM

Makki, are you going to be doing anything with this? Or were you just teasing...

Makki  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by efuseakay:
Makki, are you going to be doing anything with this? Or were you just teasing...
Yea i am still working on it

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Makki:
Yea i am still working on it

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent...

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2005, 03:07 AM

Hey Makki... please tell me you didn't drop this one...

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2005, 10:57 AM

i never got to see the preview of this theme. hopefully you can post another and your hopefully still working on it.

toffe
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
i never got to see the preview of this theme. hopefully you can post another and your hopefully still working on it.
I agree...

Makki  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 01:52 AM

hmm lol i will be picking this up from where left off but will have a more refined look then in original shot.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2005, 11:21 AM

I wanna see a screenshot too Please post another.

christianclark
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 08:05 PM

nice concept

Christian

christianclark
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2005, 02:12 AM

Well. Makki,

Please make an itunes skin too. I am still TOTAL pissed off @ Swizcore because he didn't made any Cappuccino skin for itunes. I really love Cappuccino ttheme but I won't use it because of no itunes skin with it.

DON'T BE STUPID AS SWIZCORE

Christian

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2005, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Makki
hmm lol i will be picking this up from where left off but will have a more refined look then in original shot.
Glad to hear that Makki! Dare tease us with another screenshot soon?

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by christianclark
Well. Makki,

Please make an itunes skin too. I am still TOTAL pissed off @ Swizcore because he didn't made any Cappuccino skin for itunes. I really love Cappuccino ttheme but I won't use it because of no itunes skin with it.

DON'T BE STUPID AS SWIZCORE

Christian
what are you, 12? good grief.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2005, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by christianclark
Well. Makki,

Make one yourself if you love it so.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 09:57 AM

itunes is the 1 application that really doesn't need to be skinned. their are so many menubar/widgets out that can control itunes and i know that many people use them. if the theme maker uses them, then not making an itunes skin will let the theme be finished quicker.

Makki  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 05:40 PM

ditto Randman

Makki  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 10:56 PM

This theme and others i have been working on have been cancelled

christianclark
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 01:55 AM

That's sucks. when Summer comes, people just quit doing things.

Christian

Makki  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 11:06 AM

my decision has nothing to do with summer winter or any other season it is a matter of me prioritizing my life.

christianclark
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Makki
my decision has nothing to do with summer winter or any other season it is a matter of me prioritizing my life.
Makki,

I was joking

Christian

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2005, 01:11 AM

Ok, I had to bump this... Hi Makki...

Makki  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 07:48 AM

Hiya i know i said this was still a wip but i must confess it aint. I lost alot of my files while ago and never bothered to pick it up again cuz was preparing for tiger at time. Is any interest still or not?

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 10:49 PM

Well I am sure interested... but you knew that already... lol

Forum Links
Forum Rules