Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A Big Pet Peeve was Fixed in Tiger!

A Big Pet Peeve was Fixed in Tiger!
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 10:30 PM

I'll start the thread off. List here things that were fixed in Tiger which previous versions of Mac OS X really really annoyed you. I have 2 things to mention in this post.

Today, I just noticed that Alias icons no longer look blurry when compared to a regular icon. Here's some screenshots of what I mean.

Panther's alias icon:

Tiger's alias icon:

Another cool fix is, when you create a new folder, rename it, then hit cmd-o to open it, the name no longer reverts back to Untitled Folder (which was the case with Panther).

Anyone else wanna post your previous pet peeves that were mysteriously fixed in Tiger?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 11:17 PM

I don't remember much about Panther.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 11:36 PM

That funny little line below the drop shadow of inactive windows was fixed in Tiger. That really bugged me!

I do wish they'd fix the problem of letter descenders getting cropped in Dock labels, though. (Hover over Pages or Photoshop to see the g and p being cut off.)

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
That funny little line below the drop shadow of inactive windows was fixed in Tiger. That really bugged me!

I do wish they'd fix the problem of letter descenders getting cropped in Dock labels, though. (Hover over Pages or Photoshop to see the g and p being cut off.)
Same here... I forgot about those two. I just got so used to it being there that I finally didn't notice anymore... thanks for reminding me again :-(. Hehe.

I got another UI one for ya. How about the new aligning of the Finder Metal Window Buttons.

Panther: Really awkward spacing from the side of the window.

Tiger: Much better looking in my opinion

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005, 10:29 AM

Spaz, $10 says that weird alignment in Panther was intentional, to keep the "back" button farther from the "close window" button. With Tiger, they probably revisited it and decided that people clicking "close" by accident was unlikely.

Here's another UI fix, though not really Tiger-related. Both iTunes 4.7 and 5 had a quirky two-pixel white bit on the bottom of the "compact" iTunes view. It would only appear after activating Exposé. That's finally fixed in iTunes 6.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Here's another UI fix, though not really Tiger-related. Both iTunes 4.7 and 5 had a quirky two-pixel white bit on the bottom of the "compact" iTunes view. It would only appear after activating Exposé. That's finally fixed in iTunes 6.
Oh yeah... I remember that... Never gave it a second thought. Anyways, I like the new back and forward buttons in the Finder.

I have another fix to report:
iMovie or iPhoto or anything where a progress bar would slide out of the window Titlebar to process files would prevent that App to be hidden until the process was finished... this really bothered me in Tiger cause if I was exporting a movie from iMovie I would HAVE to let it take up all my screen realestate until it was done... not anymore in Tiger. We can now hide it!

You know what guys... sorry about all those mean things I said about Tiger... I recently upgraded once again (this like like my 4th time now) and I connected my printer directly to my Mac so I don't have printing problems anymore and I figured that sooner or later I was going to have to upgrade anyways... besides... there were so many tasty Apps coming out lately that are TIGER SPECIFIC and I would drool over them. Also, nothing beats Spotlight when it comes to finding important data within files. Sure, Panther could search by content but, it was HELLA slow.

Once again I apologize for my rude behaviour and one-sided arguments about Tiger, I'm actually starting to really fall in love with it for the little things it provides and I'm slowly figuring out how to cope or fix the few problems I've been having with it (including file type associations). So, that's my story. Welcome me to the other side now, hehe. I'm on the "Tiger Rocks" side now.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2005, 09:03 PM

My favorite tweak in Tiger? The Finder now responds to file changes instantly. Save a file on the Desktop, make it in the Terminal, whatever, and it shows up immediately. In Panther, you had to click on the Desktop before you'd see it. That was really annoying, and it was great when they finally fixed it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
My favorite tweak in Tiger? The Finder now responds to file changes instantly. Save a file on the Desktop, make it in the Terminal, whatever, and it shows up immediately. In Panther, you had to click on the Desktop before you'd see it. That was really annoying, and it was great when they finally fixed it.
I love that... except for one minor glitch that will probably get fixed. Sometimes when the icon first appears on the desktop, the icon is missing or incorrect but, it doesn't happen all the time so it's not a real big deal.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005, 11:17 PM

Oh! I know a good one! The icon spacing is a little tighter in Tiger which means you can fit more icons on the desktop in a single row. Immediately after upgrading, it seemed like my desktop got bigger but, my icons were just spaced tighter. It was great.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2005, 11:29 PM

i hardly noticed those flaws in panther.(i didnt use it long having only switched from windows recently). But i have noticed some flaws in tiger. like when deleting a large group of files it sometimes leaves bits of the pictures behind
these do disapear after reopening the file though so it doasnt matter
The thing i didnt like about changing os is that ev nova doesnt work on tiger

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by demibob
Works fine here.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005, 11:39 PM

i hardly noticed those flaws in panther.(i didnt use it long having only switched from windows recently). But i have noticed some flaws in tiger. like when deleting a large group of files it sometimes leaves bits of the pictures behind
these do disapear after reopening the file though so it doasnt matter
What do you mean about deleting large groups of files? Are you deleting them from the Finder to the Trash or are you using iPhoto or something? I'm kinda unsure of what you mean? I have not noticed anything like that in Tiger (yet).

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2005, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
What do you mean about deleting large groups of files? Are you deleting them from the Finder to the Trash or are you using iPhoto or something? I'm kinda unsure of what you mean? I have not noticed anything like that in Tiger (yet).
from a file in finder
it leavs the left and right edge on the screen

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2005, 09:59 AM

I'll have to give it a shot (no pun intended). But, seriously... you may have something wrong with your video card if you're getting left-over graphics.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2005, 10:13 AM

from a file in finder
it leavs the left and right edge on the screen
Okay, I tried it and I can't get my computer to produce that effect. Sorry. I believe you though, I just wish I was able to replicate what you're experiencing. Maybe there's something screwy with your graphics card. What type of card you got in your computer?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2005, 11:39 AM

I love it too. However, using List view, by date, as I click on a file, it then changes to a different file, if one had been modified more recently. If I double-click, I will often get the wrong file.

I don't use List view often, and my biggest wish for 10.5 would be column view by something other than name. By date would be fantastic !!!

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 04:19 AM

I'm on the "Tiger Rocks" side now.[/QUOTE]

nice to have you on our side.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2005, 08:08 AM

I'll start the thread off. List here things that were fixed in Tiger which previous versions of Mac OS X really really annoyed you. I have 2 things to mention in this post.

Anyone else wanna post your previous pet peeves that were mysteriously fixed in Tiger?

Who are you and what have you done with TheSpaz, oh wait he's liking tiger does that mean the end of the world is coming

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Who are you and what have you done with TheSpaz, oh wait he's liking tiger does that mean the end of the world is coming
Okay, I admit. Tiger isn't as bad as I originally thought it was. I'm starting to get used to it and I'm coping with my problems and some of the problems I've figured out how to get rid of. Also, I've been seeing my shrink about it, but he's a PC user... so he doesn't understand why I'm upset.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2005, 12:40 PM

Thank GOD! I almost switched to Windows because of this.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad
What are you talking about?

Bruce Young
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2005, 02:12 AM

The resizing of folder windows in the Finder via the green ("+") button now actually makes the window fit to the visible data of either icon view or list view.

In Panther it usually shrank the window too far, cutting off the end of the list view or cutting off icons on right side and bottom of the folder window.

I wrote several Mac OS X Feedbacks on Finder behavior (in both Jaguar and Panther) and they finally fixed this one. I'll have to check the others ones that I wrote them about and see if they are fixed.

Agree that Finder lists now update faster from file operations in Tiger.

(BTW, now that I have adjusted behavior of Spotlight via the mdutil, Tiger is seeming better to me. Though I still would prefer a better Find -- I could list (and have posted to Apple) several items on that, but that's a topic for another thread...)
The Universe is intelligent, and friendly.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 07:59 AM

Okay, I admit. Tiger isn't as bad as I originally thought it was. I'm starting to get used to it and I'm coping with my problems and some of the problems I've figured out how to get rid of. Also, I've been seeing my shrink about it, but he's a PC user... so he doesn't understand why I'm upset.
I know, I just couldn't resist

Peace
Mike

smileLP
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2005, 01:44 PM

this is a minor complaint,a bout tiger

you can no longer drag a file or folder into a folder that has been windowshaded

under panther, even if windowshaded, you could drag somthing to the slim windowshaded/collapsed folder and you'd see a + sign and it would go in. not no more. i realize this is prob cuz panther is based on minimize/genie/whatever, not windowshade

btw, why anyone would prefer the more time consuming genie effects, then you have to go look for them in the dock, to the simplicity of leave-it-where-it-was-so-you-know-where-to-go-to-get-it-back of windowshade is beyond me

thank god enterprising computer programmers came up w/windowshade software

IamBob
Senior User
Dec 29, 2005, 02:00 PM

Use scale instead of genie. It's a bit faster but it's not like you have to wait for it anyway - get back to work!

Besides, in OS9 it seemed like I'd always end up juggling window-shaded windows. Then, when I wanted one back I'd have to bring it back to a normal position or it would be at least half off-screen. Neurosis? Probably.

I rarely minimize windows anyway. Or expose...I'm a hide-junky from back in the day.

smileLP
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2005, 02:10 PM

everyone's got their own preferences (no pun intended)

scale/genie - - both seem more work to me; gotta go to the dock to get something, and god help you if you have more than 2 or 3 things down there, decidding which is which

for me, there's nothing like windowshade; quickest, easiest, leaves it right where it was

but as i said, we all have our personal prefernces

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by IamBob
Use scale instead of genie. It's a bit faster but it's not like you have to wait for it anyway - get back to work!

Besides, in OS9 it seemed like I'd always end up juggling window-shaded windows. Then, when I wanted one back I'd have to bring it back to a normal position or it would be at least half off-screen. Neurosis? Probably.

I rarely minimize windows anyway. Or expose...I'm a hide-junky from back in the day.
I'm a hide junkie as well. I'll sometimes keep a couple of minimized windows in the Dock (mostly Finder windows). Old school is where it's at. Actually, I just recently got into using Exposé. I have a Mighty Mouse now.
( Last edited by TheSpaz; Dec 29, 2005 at 04:48 PM. )

IamBob
Senior User
Dec 29, 2005, 05:46 PM

Yeah, Finder windows are about the only thing I minimize because I can never remember the key-combo to get new ones. Today I know it's cmd+n (to confirm I tried cmd+shift+n first, oddly enough) but tomorrow I might reverse it.

Bringing it back, my favorite fix...NAT.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2005, 10:52 PM

Do people even realize that they can go into their Keyboard Shortcuts and change cmd-N to make a new Folder and cmd-Shift-N to make a new window? I tried this... it worked but, I had to revert back because I've been using cmd-shift-N for so long now that, I kept hitting that... oops.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2005, 10:24 AM

If you register TransparentDock (or acquire a serial some other way, naughty!) there is a slider to accelerate or slow down minimize/expose effects. I have mine turned all the way up and there is no visible animation at all, the transformations are instant. If snappiness is what you're after, this is it. It also has a side effect of speeding up the launch anim/triangle blink as well which looks quite comical at high speeds, but i think most people have the bouncing disabled anyway.

I have a feeling not many people know about this tweak.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2005, 11:53 AM

I'm still on Panther, but this really annoys me. When you're browsing Finder in list mode (center button of the mode buttons), if you select a folder and then hit the command to create a new folder, it does not create the new folder at the level you have selected. Instead, it creates the new folder at the top level. This is really really annoying, especially since I prefer to use list mode for my project folders.

Can anyone tell me, has this been fixed in Tiger? [here is hoping]
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

IamBob
Senior User
Dec 30, 2005, 12:40 PM

It hasn't and probably shouldn't be - I don't remember what it did pre-OSX, anyone? Besides, it's so slow as to be useless anyway*. Column all the way.

*12" G4 iBook, 1.2Ghz/1.25GB RAM.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 07:33 PM

Oh, here's a good one. In the Finder, you can now right click on Sidebar icons to view extra options such as "Eject" and "Open Enclosing Folder". Very nice.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by smileLP
this is a minor complaint,a bout tiger

you can no longer drag a file or folder into a folder that has been windowshaded

under panther, even if windowshaded, you could drag somthing to the slim windowshaded/collapsed folder and you'd see a + sign and it would go in. not no more. i realize this is prob cuz panther is based on minimize/genie/whatever, not windowshade

btw, why anyone would prefer the more time consuming genie effects, then you have to go look for them in the dock, to the simplicity of leave-it-where-it-was-so-you-know-where-to-go-to-get-it-back of windowshade is beyond me

thank god enterprising computer programmers came up w/windowshade software
Exposé and the Command+Tab application switcher have completely cured me of window shading.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

P
Jan 1, 2006, 04:20 PM

And you have no idea how hard that was to implement... Apple could have done it the easy way - to poll the filesystem for all open windows regularly - but instead decided to do it the good way, by having the kernel send notifications when a directory changed. The kernel was actually updated in 10.3 (which means that any other Finder-like app can implement this in 10.3), but the Finder fixes didn't get in until 10.4.

One thing remains though - if you have "Show Info on objects" active, that information does not update ever. I wanted to have that active for the desktop so I could see with a glance how much space was free on my main HD, but it does not update unless I quit the Finder (since I can't close the Desktop), so it was kinda pointless. Registered it as a bug in Radar, and got back a "duplicate" response, so they're probably working on it.

P
Jan 1, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Exposé and the Command+Tab application switcher have completely cured me of window shading.
Seconded. But then, I have a multibutton mouse with Expose on one of the keys, so it's even easier to use.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by P
And you have no idea how hard that was to implement... Apple could have done it the easy way - to poll the filesystem for all open windows regularly - but instead decided to do it the good way, by having the kernel send notifications when a directory changed. The kernel was actually updated in 10.3 (which means that any other Finder-like app can implement this in 10.3), but the Finder fixes didn't get in until 10.4.
Uh, actually I do know what kernel queuing is. But thanks.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Jan 2, 2006, 10:40 AM

Uh, actually I do know what kernel queuing is. But thanks.
I'm sure you do. The point was rather to explain why this was not to get bogged down in technical details, but to nag a bit about something that hasn't been fixed yet, and to note that the fix was very much non-trivial.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2006, 04:37 PM

The part that irritated me a bit was starting it with "you have no idea...".

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad
I've been mostly away for a while. God bless you 'fad

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 4, 2006, 09:46 AM

Big irritant in Tiger: Turning on file extensions for things like pictures means turning on file extensions for applications and such too.

ie. Either it's "Picture" + "Safari" or else it's "Picture.jpg" + "Safari.app". You can't have "Picture.jpg" + "Safari" unless you manually change things for the specific file.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Krusty
I've been mostly away for a while. God bless you 'fad
Long time no see, my friend! Hope all is well. Keep it real in the hood and such.

Shoelaces make me happy! [/cubeoid]

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 11:39 AM

I sure am glad they fixed the alias icons. Also, I solved my wireless printing problems! I connected the printer directly to my Mac and it works great now. It's too bad because when Apple advertises that Airport Extreme can connect a printer, you would assume it would work correctly.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 4, 2006, 01:06 PM

I sure am glad they fixed the alias icons. Also, I solved my wireless printing problems! I connected the printer directly to my Mac and it works great now. It's too bad because when Apple advertises that Airport Extreme can connect a printer, you would assume it would work correctly.
Try the new Airport Extreme firmware update...it's almost guaranteed to fix printing problems.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Try the new Airport Extreme firmware update...it's almost guaranteed to fix printing problems.
There's a new Airport Extreme firmware update? If there is... I must already have it because I installed every update available in my Software Update. I'll look into it, thanks! Have you had any luck with it?

Dr.Michael
Jan 4, 2006, 03:26 PM

I have discovered a new feature with a password protected screensaver: I activate my screensaver with a hot corner. Hitting that corner accidentially in Panther activated the screensaver instantly and that means we had to type the password to unlock the screen.

In tiger the password protection is activated with a delay of a second (or two). Moving the mouse within this interval deactivates the screensaver without password.

I had tiger installed on a firewire drive since it came out. Three days ago I moved it to my powerbook. Since then I asked myself where the improvements are covered. The one and only real improvement that I found is indeed the file change notification. This was overdue since long (programming is a bad job: you spend a lot of time to do a great improvement and then users come and claim its overdue ). But windows and linux (kde) have this feature since ever.

Just be serious: all these little fixes are only FIXES. Definitely worth to be fixed but not worth asking money for them. I don't notice a speed improvement in tiger and the significant changes are dashboard (which I don't use) and spotlight (launchbar is much faster).

Dashboard is only a half baked thing. It adds just one additional layer to the screen. Multiple desktops would do a much better job (but might not need the full graphic eye candy of tiger). The ability to easily create dashbord apps is nice (for non programmers).

Up to now I payed for all Mac OS updates (beginning with the public beta). This time I hesitate. Maybe I will understand when I use high definition video or .Mac.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 4, 2006, 05:33 PM

There's a new Airport Extreme firmware update? If there is... I must already have it because I installed every update available in my Software Update. I'll look into it, thanks! Have you had any luck with it?
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...Container_link

It's definitely fixed AirTunes cutting out (as the well as the occasional network drop outs on my Airport Express)...I can only imagine it fixing the printer problems if all the other problems I had that were listed have been fixed.

-Improved reliability when printing through AirPort base stations
Hope that fixes it for you. I don't have my printer plugged into the base station so I've never experienced the problem.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2006, 07:58 PM

No I loved Panther and love Tiger even more. Jaguar annoys me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules