Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered New Intel iMac

Ordered New Intel iMac (Page 4)
DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets
I tried this out last night (I was finally able to get it delivered after being gone over the weekend). SC4 with Rush Hour seemed playable with the video settings set to medium. In a large city that I had saved from about a year ago I was able to drag roads around pretty easily. On my 1GHz G4 PB I would have to be pretty patient when doing this as scrolling the screen would take a few seconds. That doesn't seem to be the case on my 17" iMac with 1GB of RAM and 128MB VRAM. However, when moving the screen around a lot the passage of time would slow down or stop altogether. So it's better than my PB, but not by a lot. Overall I would rate the SC4 experience a C+. It's playable, but I hope Aspyr decides to release a universal binary, because I know this machine can do a lot better.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I've been stuck with a 700Mhz G3 iBook for years, and only very recently have I had a chance to get some time in on my parent's Mac Mini. I've been trying SC4: Deluxe and C&C: Generals to get a baseline for PPC performance, so I have something to compare it to when I finally get my iMac in.

(And yes, I will completely uninstall the games off the Mini before I reinstall them to the iMac).

I'll live if SC4 plays like it does now, but I'll dance in the streets if a UB appears.

Originally Posted by Astronaut Jones
Okay, the odyssey of my iMac and FedEx....
Ouch...

FedEx hasn't updated my tracking info since midday Sunday. The info states that it was scanned on the 30th, but that was actually the afternoon of the 29th in the Eastern Time Zone where I live. I have no idea where it is now, or if that delivery date is actually correct.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2006, 03:59 AM

Ordered my 20" Intel iMac (2GB memory, 256MB vram upgrade) today (31 Jan). Est ship-6 Feb, Est del-13 Feb.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 05:02 AM

How does Realplayer perform on the intel imac? Does the Safari Realplayer plugin work? Is the performance good?

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Astronaut Jones
Okay, the odyssey of my iMac and FedEx....
[snip]
Wow, I'm glad I didn't have any problems like that. I've had my 20" intel Imac so long, I'm running out of cool new things to try, (not that the old things are any less cool...) at least until someone releases a decent PC emulator.

-Todd
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 12:30 PM

My personal favourite is how people seem desperate to run WindowsXP on their iMac Core Duos. Please give it a break. Now, running OS X on my PC REALLY has my interest

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 12:47 PM

Buahahahaa....it has arrived!

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 3, 2006, 04:29 AM

do keep us updated !!

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
do keep us updated !!
Severe video distortion in Front Row from Day 1. Called Apple and after working my way up the customer service chain, they came to the conclusion that they have no idea what's going on.

I'm not alone as this is becoming a big problem. They consider the machine DOA and are going to replace it.

However I'm hoping the ship time is better than what they are quoting at the Apple Store. Weeks without my computer is not something I look forward to.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 3, 2006, 04:26 PM

odd isn't it ? what does it look like then ??

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 05:11 PM

odd isn't it ? what does it look like then ??
Horizontal white lines, garbled images, and flashes of afterimages over what is being displayed.

It seems to only affect iMacs with the 256MB RAM upgrade.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo
Horizontal white lines, garbled images, and flashes of afterimages over what is being displayed.

It seems to only affect iMacs with the 256MB RAM upgrade.
Doah!! Why did I have to order the 256MB vram upgrade?!!?!? (here's hoping I don't run into this issue)

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 4, 2006, 04:48 AM

i've asked around and it seems to be a software issue , no doubt 10.4.5 will fix it

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo
Buahahahaa....it has arrived!
Mine just arrived and I found my PPC app runs beautifully in Rosetta. I am a happy camper.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2006, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
Ordered my 20" Intel iMac (2GB memory, 256MB vram upgrade) today (31 Jan). Est ship-6 Feb, Est del-13 Feb.
Dang it!! I was watching my order status intently today since my iMac was supposed to ship today. It never shipped, and then when I looked this morning, I saw these updated estimates:

Est Ship - 16 Feb 2006
Est Delivery - 24 Feb 2006

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 7, 2006, 06:28 AM

maybe you should get the 500 gig upgrade while you're at it ?

i'm thinking of doing that if there's a looooong wait

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2006, 07:11 AM

maybe you should get the 500 gig upgrade while you're at it ?

i'm thinking of doing that if there's a looooong wait
Yeah...the only reason I didn't get the 500GB upgrade was because how much it delayed the estimated shipping.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2006, 01:22 PM

The price of the 500GB drive ($375 upgrade from 160GB, $300 upgrade from 250GB) is about the same as buying a 500GB drive ($337). Buy the drive aftermarket, pay an Apple Authorized Service place to install it (CompUSA is $30ish), and put the internal in an external enclosure for some portable storage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules