Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bootcamp needs Service Pack 2?

Bootcamp needs Service Pack 2?
garyi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 12:09 PM

I guess like a lot of you are, I am tempted to purchase XP so I can play games!

I find on ebay sealed XP home addition software but its not service pack 2. I do not know anything about PCs but found out that you can download service pack two.

So is it possible with bootcamp to install XP home, then update to service pack 2 before putting on the bootcamp stuff?

Or do we have to purchase XP home service pack two as one product?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:13 PM

Nope, you'd be fine. You can purchase that copy on eBay, download SP2 (it's free), and then "slipstream" SP2 into the XP installation files. At the end, you'll have a new CD with SP2 integrated.

The slipstreaming process is usually something that Windows admins would do, so it will seem a bit daunting at first. I'll help you out if you have trouble. You *do* need a PC to do this, by the way, so go over to a friend's house if you're a Mac-only guy. ;-)

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

garyi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 12:50 PM

Thanks Tom thats great.

I have access to my dads PC, however they are on dial up (yup people still are)

So presumably I could download SP2 from my mac put it on a disk and do the slipstream on my dads PC ok?

Thanks for your help.

garyi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 12:54 PM

Ok I have answered my own question, I went to softwarepatch.com to get service pack 2, I hope it don't turn out to be a virus.

God I hate PCs, why am I doing this??

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2006, 01:03 PM

Since Boot Camp is already doing slipstream (and making you burn another disk) to get the drivers in, it's unfortunate you can't slipstream SP2 at the same time. Maybe Apple will improve it in the next revision.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 01:30 PM

Slipstreaming is pretty complex as far as the actual file manipulations go -- SP2's setup.exe handles that. Unless Apple writes their own setup.exe slipstreamer replacement, there really is no other way. :-(

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by garyi
Ok I have answered my own question, I went to softwarepatch.com to get service pack 2, I hope it don't turn out to be a virus.

I don't know. Why not just get SP2 from Microsoft?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by garyi

That's a VERY good question.

Makes no sense to me personally. Windows on a Mac????

As the kids say.....Meh!

Tom

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Since Boot Camp is already doing slipstream (and making you burn another disk) to get the drivers in, it's unfortunate you can't slipstream SP2 at the same time. Maybe Apple will improve it in the next revision.
Boot Camp does no slipstreaming of any kind. It installs using the standard XP installation CD. The CD it burns contains only the drivers for the Mac hardware, totalling about 80MB. The drivers CD is not used in the install at all -- it just contains a program that installs the drivers, and you use it after you have installed XP normally and booted to the Windows desktop.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2006, 02:15 AM

Grab NLite from http://www.nliteos.com/

It's a utility that runs on Windows that when provided a Windows CD and SP2, will make an ISO file for you of a slipstreamed Windows SP2 disc. Real handy to have, to avoid the manual slipstream process.
<This space under renovation>

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Boot Camp does no slipstreaming of any kind. It installs using the standard XP installation CD. The CD it burns contains only the drivers for the Mac hardware, totalling about 80MB. The drivers CD is not used in the install at all -- it just contains a program that installs the drivers, and you use it after you have installed XP normally and booted to the Windows desktop.
Oh. After reading the BootCamp page I was under the impression it was more slick and automated than that.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 04:29 PM

Well, actually I think being able to install using the standard CD is "slicker" than having to create a custom slipstreamed CD, but I'll admit that the driver installation process is a little low tech.

garyi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 05:03 PM

Thanks Drakino that seems the business.

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 05:03 PM

Hmm...I only have a Windows XP SP1 CD, and no ready access to a PC. Does anyone know of a solution to slipstream it?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by krove
Hmm...I only have a Windows XP SP1 CD, and no ready access to a PC. Does anyone know of a solution to slipstream it?
I installed XP Pro SP1 on my iiMac. Had some problems with some of the drivers installing and I had to pull them out of the BootCamp folder during the install, after it expanded them.

lgtmvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 01:32 PM

This utility works like a charm. Me and my friend had no problem slipstreaming and then burning a bootable Windows XP sp2 CD on an 8 year old PC running Windows 2000. It installed on my Macbook no problem. I highly recomend that you "Grab NLite from http://www.nliteos.com/"

Forum Links
Forum Rules