Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why Can't You Connect to Servers from Dock

Why Can't You Connect to Servers from Dock
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2006, 07:45 AM

I put a folder with aliases of my favorite local file sharing servers but, if I try to right-click it and choose one of the items, I get the beachball and everything freezes up (unlike just double clicking it in the Finder). I wanted them in the Dock for easier access to my servers. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what I could do to make connecting easier?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 08:07 AM

I've never tried putting them in a folder, but I know you drag and drop them from the desktop to next to the trash in the dock. My criticsm of the finder is whenever a share goes offline or it can't find it, it beachballs and dies, I hope the finder will get a makeover in 10.5

MacG33k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 01:00 PM

The easiest way to do this for me was to create a script that creates connections to my servers, create an alias, and put that in the dock.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by MacG33k
The easiest way to do this for me was to create a script that creates connections to my servers, create an alias, and put that in the dock.
Do you still need to enter a password for these scripts. Also, could you post the script you used or a similar script that I can modify to my needs? Thanks.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 11:34 AM

I have aliases in my dock that when I click on them will connect to my G4 sharing the folder the file is contained in.

This is an AFP share, what kind of share are you trying to connect to?

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 01:39 AM

Putting SMB shares in the Dock works as well.

The problem is you're creating Finder aliases and placing them as Dock "aliases". What happens is the Dock tells the Finder to open it's alias and when the Finder tries it can't find the original.

I agree that the Finder sorely needs to be more network savvy. And to stop dropping "._" files on non-AFP shares! It's embarrassing.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2006, 07:42 AM

Those .DS.Stores? They can be turned off with tweak freak I think. Have a look for it on Google.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2006, 09:26 AM

http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/ will get rid of the .DS_Stores for you.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 12:13 PM

seanc, nope. Tried that months ago. But the Finder can also create files beginning with "._" that match real file names, in the same directory. Sometimes LOTS of them. Not sure what condition needs to be met for that to happen as it doesn't happen for every file.

B G, I'll try that out first thing monday. Thanks.
( Last edited by zro; Apr 9, 2006 at 12:23 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by zro
But the Finder can also create files beginning with "._" that match real file names, in the same directory. Sometimes LOTS of them. Not sure what condition needs to be met for that to happen as it doesn't happen for every file.
Those are resource forks. In the old days Mac files most always had a data and a resource fork. Nowadays many programs just create data fork files, but by far not all. Mac OS X normally hides the resource forks from you, but not other OS'. For example copy a Mac folder to a Linux box with scp and do a ls -al on the linux box. If files in that folder had resource forks, you'll see them as ._ files under Linux. Those 'files' are always there. Even on a Mac. It's just that OS X recognizes them as belonging to the data fork part of the file and hides them from us.

Forum Links
Forum Rules