Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > help there is music coming from my speakers

help there is music coming from my speakers
ampa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 10:55 PM

I just moved into a nice house, but there is a radio tower not to far from me and for some reason my speakers are now playing rap music, even when unplugged. I think there using jack cord as an antennae. is there a way to stop this its driving me nutty.

Thanks
Ken

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 11:25 AM

First thing to do is send a complaint to the FCC - then
Go to radio shack and get some ferrites for your speaker wires and power supply cord - the kind you snap around the wire since you have connectors on each end.

A broadcast station is not allowed to bleed like you describe, at the very least their engineer has some work to do..

Z

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 11:53 AM

wow the same thing happens at my house it dose not effect it if it is playing from my comp or turned off so i never really did anything about it............

reader50
Administrator
Mar 13, 2007, 01:31 PM

Probably is the speaker wires, especially if they are unshielded zip cord - ie, a pair of straight wires joined to each other.

If the ferrules don't work, try giving the speaker cables a steady twist all the way to the computer. My next step would be to replace the cables with shielded ones, but that might require solder work.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 05:21 PM

Same thing happened to me when I lived in boston. I didn't do much about it, when the speakers were off it didn't play anything. I settled for using headphones or my G4 towers internal speaker, which isn't THAT bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules