Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Can you run parallels and Windows on an external drive?

Can you run parallels and Windows on an external drive?
bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 10:20 AM

I've been doing some reading and I think the answer to the above is no -- but just to double check. I bought parallels quite some time ago, thinking Apple would introduce new computers at MacWorld '07. Then, of course, it was August. So I'm just now getting around to doing this and now there's a new version out -- that's fine, I'll upgrade. And I have Vista, as well.

My question -- it sounds like parallels has to be installed on the boot drive (in fact, I'm sure I read that on the parallels site), but I swear I've read that other people have installed it on an external, and installed Windows on the external as well. I think the thinking is that your machine is more protected from viruses (and things going wrong!), if that setup is on an external you can separate from your own machine.

My apologies if this has been covered; i didn't see it. And thanks in advance.

Cold Warrior
Feb 27, 2008, 08:21 PM

You can install Parallels on your Mac, but use a VM that's on an external.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2008, 11:02 PM

A Parallels virtual machine image can be anywhere. Parallels starting the VM is not the same as XP booting, so it really doesn't matter where the image is.

I don't think we've covered this before-thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rgbyhkr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 06:44 PM

I have a follow-up question directly related to this topic. First, I will say that I have done this with an external HDD on my MBA and it works. I actually just grabbed a clone of my Parallels .hdd from my MBP and put it on the external drive. I'm surprised that it was so easy.

Here's my question though - any thoughts about using a flash drive as the external source? You can get 16GB and 32GB flash drives for decent prices now. My concern would be the number of read/write cycles and the large file size of the .hdd file potentially causing some issues. I've tried doing various net searches and forum searches (including Parallels own forum), but no one seems to have talked about this. My interest is the compact size, portability and durability and power consumption benefits of teh flash drive over an external HDD.

What do you folks think?

Jeff

Forum Links
Forum Rules