Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Entourage inbox won't open

Entourage inbox won't open
bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2008, 08:41 AM

I decided to install the Office 2008 service pack last night (you'd think, after all these years, I'd have backed up my computer first...).

Now, my inbox in Entourage will not open. I'm getting a weird "not enough memory" message, on a 2007 iMac with at least 3 GB of memory. The other mailboxes appear to open. I did a little searching and found this is not an uncommon problem.

So -- I didn't want to deal with it last night, but I'm thinking of a couple tricks to try. First, I'll make a copy of the damaged (perhaps) identity on a separate drive. Then I'll repair permissions, then try to rebuild the database. At the least, I have the backup of my whole drive from about a week ago, so I'd only lose e-mails from that time period.

What I'm wondering is what might happen if I simply give up on Entourage for e-mail and import everything into Mail. I've been thinking of doing that, but always stopped because I'm used to Entourage and it seemed like too much effort. But now ... I'm frosted at MS and I just want to move on. If I have a backup of what's screwed up, I'm thinking the import might work fine. Then I just have to get used to a new program. I use Mail sporadically, but not as my main program.

Any recommendations? And has anyone solved the "not enough memory" problem? Thanks in advance.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2008, 10:15 AM

Should anyone else have this problem, the rebuild DID work. I'm still mulling the complete switchover to mail, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules