Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Would all mid-2007 iMacs (alumnimum) have fast connection?

Would all mid-2007 iMacs (alumnimum) have fast connection?
bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 03:23 PM

This is a stupid question. I have a new MacBook and an August 2007 aluminum iMac. I also have a TimeCapsule, which I'm getting ready to install. Now, that has the faster Airport speeds -- does my iMac have that? Believe me, I've looked and I can't find that. I cannot believe it doesn't, however.

It's a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -- and I think those are the magic words. (duo and core 2).

So I'm proceeding on and we'll see how this works. I'm still using a 2003 Airport Extreme Base Station, which will be vintage in just a few months! But it's worked, and I hesitate to mess with success. We have severla computers all connected to it, including a PC, two laptops, a printer, the iMac, plus a PC laptop upon occasion. There's a router involved, plus a modem. All those wires...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 11:05 PM

Any aluminum iMac have (draft) 802.11n and gigabit ethernet.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 19, 2008, 10:59 AM

My "second day they were on the shelf" aluminum iMac has all those bells and whistles. The only down side is that this is the ONLY computer I have with either gigabit or N, so the rest of the house has to move forward a bit before I can "justify" upgrading routers and wireless access points.

As mduell says, ALL aluminum iMacs have all of that stuff. Enjoy!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My "second day they were on the shelf" aluminum iMac has all those bells and whistles. The only down side is that this is the ONLY computer I have with either gigabit or N, so the rest of the house has to move forward a bit before I can "justify" upgrading routers and wireless access points.

As mduell says, ALL aluminum iMacs have all of that stuff. Enjoy!
Thanks! I finally found documentation after I wrote that post. I KNEW that was the case, but wanted to double-check. I got the Time Capsule up and running in short order, but ran into printer difficulties with the laptop. My daughter was home from college over the weekend and I didn't want to mess up the network while she was here, so I put everything back. (Then I read up on networks yesterday and became very conscious of the many ways this could get screwed up!)

I will probably give it another try today. My understanding is that the older machines (a PC, my old laptop and my husband's work laptop, when he has it here) would just go at the slower speed, while my two machines would get to zoom!

Forum Links
Forum Rules