Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > White balance

White balance
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2009, 03:53 PM

OK, having a hard time finding grey or a neutral colour in certain photos. So far it seems to be beach type photos. Using Aperture.

As an aside, to me after selecting a grey in some photos, I click on the Auto Levels buttons and the photos don't look as good. Yet of course in the tutorials when they show you this, the photos look better - what gives?

ide3308
Sep 13, 2009, 05:02 PM

Auto means exactly that. The software uses formulas to determine where black and white levels should be. Sometimes, the image is great the way it was shot. Read about how auto-levels work and you can start doing your own levels adjustments.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2009, 05:28 AM

I've been going through this guy's tutorials, but (like loads of freebies on the net) they don't go in depth enough. There is also of course that undefinable skill of knowing how much or how many changes or enough or too much.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2009, 09:01 PM

You can use "auto" in your camera if you shoot RAW. That can give you enough play to adjust it on your computer, as "auto" in camera never returns precise results.

Regarding the use of "auto" features in software (Photoshop or RAW converters): depends on how sensitive to color you are. Good color has to be set manually.

In RAW converters, setting the right color temperature (blue/yellow) is key. Bad color temperature definitively ruins an image and spoils the contrast, too. Tint (red/green) is less sensitive, but still can wreck images.

I'd recommend doing it by hand and training your eye. In Photoshop, the best way to adjust skin tones, for example, is checking the CMYK percentages (even if you are correcting for RGB). There are plenty of tutorials on how to do that, and how to use curves to get decent skin tone or colors.

If you rely on color, you may get OK images, but it'll seldom give you excellent color (a bit of a chance event).

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2009, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
You can use "auto" in your camera if you shoot RAW. That can give you enough play to adjust it on your computer, as "auto" in camera never returns precise results.
Do you mean instead of aperture or shutter speed priority for example? I try not to use Auto if I can help it.

Regarding the use of "auto" features in software (Photoshop or RAW converters): depends on how sensitive to color you are. Good color has to be set manually.

In RAW converters, setting the right color temperature (blue/yellow) is key. Bad color temperature definitively ruins an image and spoils the contrast, too. Tint (red/green) is less sensitive, but still can wreck images.
I need to learn more about how to boost colour, and the interaction on other settings.

I'd recommend doing it by hand and training your eye. In Photoshop, the best way to adjust skin tones, for example, is checking the CMYK percentages (even if you are correcting for RGB). There are plenty of tutorials on how to do that, and how to use curves to get decent skin tone or colors.

If you rely on color, you may get OK images, but it'll seldom give you excellent color (a bit of a chance event).
I don't understand your last sentence, but yes I will read some more tutorials regarding curves.

Thankyou.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2009, 05:14 AM

He meant auto WB not 'green square mode'
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Do you mean instead of aperture or shutter speed priority for example? I try not to use Auto if I can help it.

I need to learn more about how to boost colour, and the interaction on other settings.

I don't understand your last sentence, but yes I will read some more tutorials regarding curves.

Thankyou.
Mattyb, I recommend getting a book about the basics of digital photography and image processing.

Aperture and shutter speed are completely independent from white balance. Manual white balance can be a bit of a chore, e.g. with Canon cameras, where it is a seven step process. With others, like Pentax and Nikon, it's easy. Look it up in your manual. But for starters, just use automatic white balance.

If you shoot RAW all the info of the sensor is stored in a file. You can manipulate that RAW file with a RAW editor. It gives your roughly 2-3 openings into each directions for correction, even though it's better to stay within 1,5 openings. You can also choose color saturation, etc. So, even if the color temperature and the tint is off (which it will always be to a certain degree, depending on the color of the objects surrounding you (reflections), you can correct it in the RAW converter.

Forget my last sentence for now. Get the basics first. Getting a really good skin tone requires a lot of experience, and mastering curves in Photoshop well takes a lot of time and experience. Get the manual of the RAW processor you are using.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2009, 06:04 AM

Mattyb, I recommend getting a book about the basics of digital photography and image processing.
Yes, I have thankyou.

Aperture and shutter speed are completely independent from white balance. Manual white balance can be a bit of a chore, e.g. with Canon cameras, where it is a seven step process. With others, like Pentax and Nikon, it's easy. Look it up in your manual. But for starters, just use automatic white balance.
I realise this. Like in any technical subject, for a noob like me at least, auto refers to the automatic selection of ISO, Aperture and shutterspeed by the camera. Apologies that I didn't associate it with white balance - even though the thread was about white balance. I have since read up on white balance for the D40. From what I have read, which agree with you, when shooting RAW, leave it on auto. Although there does seem to be some argument about when using a flash.

If you shoot RAW all the info of the sensor is stored in a file. You can manipulate that RAW file with a RAW editor. It gives your roughly 2-3 openings into each directions for correction, even though it's better to stay within 1,5 openings. You can also choose color saturation, etc. So, even if the color temperature and the tint is off (which it will always be to a certain degree, depending on the color of the objects surrounding you (reflections), you can correct it in the RAW converter.

Forget my last sentence for now. Get the basics first. Getting a really good skin tone requires a lot of experience, and mastering curves in Photoshop well takes a lot of time and experience. Get the manual of the RAW processor you are using.
I am using Aperture exclusively, and am working my way through all the tutorials and docs that I can.

Thanks for your advice, apologies that I didn't understand at first.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2009, 03:19 AM

I forgot: JPEGs (other than RAW), are processed by the camera. A lot of data is thrown away, which limits your editing possibilities.

And JPEG is in general a problematic format to work on. Every time you save it, it gets recompressed and you lose quality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules