Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > netgear 834 modem router - best or?

netgear 834 modem router - best or?
klandan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2010, 08:12 AM

I need a new modem/router for my macbook pro.
as far as I can see, the netgear 834 seems to be a very good type for my internet connection.
any body want to agree, or disagree?
what do you suggest?
thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2010, 08:39 AM

Who is your provider? the DG834 is an ADSL2+ modem/router, appropriate for European/UK ADSL connections. Netgear has a pretty solid reputation as being effective and reliable. But what other hardware do you have? What other computers? The 834 is wired only, so what are your plans for wireless networking?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2010, 07:14 PM

Who is your internet service provider?

I know of many older DG834G (note the G denotes a wireless G version of the 834) routers in production, however I've encountered flaky DG843Gv5 routers. From VCI and VPI being set to something other than the norm, out of the box, to admin pages that don't seem to submit your changes! A firmware upgrade or downgrade will sometimes help, but there rarely seems to be a firmware release that doesn't have a pile of known issues.

If you can go with BT, get a HomeHub, or even a 2wire Business Hub. The later Business Hubs should cause less grief, I suspect they're building the power adapters better now.

klandan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2010, 10:25 AM

my provider is rural internet.
your thoughts are interesting...
I have thought of BT,now my second provider, but rural internet do such a good job I will stay with them for now.
never heard of rural internet?
give them a try!

Cold Warrior
Jan 16, 2010, 10:37 AM

I've had a lot of issues lately with the 3 DLinks that I've bought and installed in the past year across several locations -- problems that seanc describes and more. I'd stay clear of their combo modem+router products and try to find a really quality, stand-alone DSL modem then get an Airport Extreme for your wired and wireless routing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules