Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Fair Apple Pricing in Canada

Fair Apple Pricing in Canada
TomMcIn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2010, 10:51 AM

I have a Dual 2.3 GHz PPC G5 and want to move up to the Intel world. Just priced out a dual 2.26 GHz with some extras. The pre tax price was $5,266 Cdn and $4,266 US - a 25% premium at a time when the dollars are almost at par.
Some older posts on this subject indicate Apple only adjusts pricing when a new model is introduced. Others indicate Apple Canada sets the pricing as they want.
Does anyone know if and when Apple Canada will adjust its price list to reflect the currency rates?
Can I buy a MacPro from the US or if I bought a unit in the US, what risks would occur regarding warranty work, etc?
Are there any Apple Canada contacts that might have an understanding of and ability to deal with this overcharging?
Fair to me is that the Canadian prices are American prices adjusted by the exchange rate plus duties and taxes.

Tom

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2010, 11:33 AM

Why don't you just come south of the border for your gear?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TomMcIn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2010, 12:01 PM

There have been posts that Warranty and Applecare repairs are not available in Canada for gear that is bought in the US.
For me, it is a relatively short trip to a Bellingham Wash, once I get my Passport renewed, but it does increase the hassle if something goes wrong. Also, only third party Apple sellers are in Bellingham. There are no Apple Stores where the service should be better.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2010, 01:55 PM

Canadian Prices are affected by more than the currency exchange! Most consumers don't seem to understand that. Canadian prices are affected by currency exchange, shipping and importing fees, by the small size and small density of our market, etc. The US market is alot bigger and alot more dense (in population volume). It costs less to ship in the US as you are shipping higher volumes.

And remember, if you buy in the US, you still have to pay GST and the PST of your province (or HST) when you cross the border or when the package arrives. You may still get a deal, though, after the taxes are paid by buying in the US.

Apple typically does update the prices, only when they update the model of Mac, which is kinda bad. You would think they would update their prices monthly at the least.
( Last edited by Leonard; Apr 29, 2010 at 02:01 PM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post
There have been posts that Warranty and Applecare repairs are not available in Canada for gear that is bought in the US.
For me, it is a relatively short trip to a Bellingham Wash, once I get my Passport renewed, but it does increase the hassle if something goes wrong. Also, only third party Apple sellers are in Bellingham. There are no Apple Stores where the service should be better.
Do they usually check serials against where they were sold or something? If you were to buy Applecare separate from the Mac (say canadian applestore), would that work?

TomMcIn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2010, 02:21 PM

I think my quotes are before the Cdn GST and PST taxes. The difference is about $1,000 which will pay for a lot of small market charges, especially on an item as big as a Mac Pro. The small Cdn Market extras should not cause a 20 to 25% mark up. Apple Canada seems to be lazy or greedy on not updating the prices say monthly.

TomMcIn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2010, 02:33 PM

I just talked to the Vancouver Pacific Center Apple Store and they said there is World Wide Support if the product is sold in Canada. Service is only available in a country once the product is being sold in the country. On April 29, Mac Pros would be supported but iPads would not. The contact did not know what would happen to iPads that were bought before they are being sold in Canada.
Service wise, it looks good.
He suggested the extra duties would be about 15% which would be about $600 on a $4000 US purchase. Then the other taxes would come on top of that.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2010, 02:40 PM

Oh, btw, don't buy a Mac Pro until the line is refreshed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Oh, btw, don't buy a Mac Pro until the line is refreshed.
At that time the prices will normalize somewhat. Even though the difference now is 25%, it's quite possible the prices will be within 10% of each other at the next refresh, considering the Canuckbuck is at par, and may rise above par as oil prices increase and as the Bank of Canada increases interest rates, at likely a faster pace than the US, starting with 25-50 basis points this summer.

TomMcIn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2010, 07:00 PM

I started following the forum at Mac Pro 2010 speculations - Mac Forums to see what was happening with the MacPros. There is no firm indication of what the next round of MacPros will offer or when they will be announced. The speculation seems that Apple does not want to interrupt the momentum of the iPads with any announcements.
I can live with what I have so will wait for the next round so I don't have to refresh my desktop for five or more years. Want to get something that is at least four times faster that what I have now. Otherwise the increased performance becomes routine to soon.
It appears there are no duties collected on data processing computers brought in from the US but the sales taxes, HST, GST and PST are charged. The CBSA document I downloaded needs to be confirmed with a CBSA office.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2010, 10:23 PM

They already interrupted the iPad with the MBP. Besides no-one ever knows when a new apple product will be released. The MP is Long Overdue though.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2010, 08:13 AM

I'd suggest being patient if you can. The recent MBP refresh was a good sign; all models are only $50 more for Canadians. So if the dollar holds you should get a pretty fair deal when the new Mac Pros arrive.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2010, 10:10 AM

He suggested the extra duties would be about 15% which would be about $600 on a $4000 US purchase. Then the other taxes would come on top of that.
There are NO duties on computers brought into Canada. Computers and computer products are exempt. Only taxes and (if your not buying from Apple Canada) brokerage fees. From this chart on brokerage fees from UPS, brokerage fees would not add up to $600. UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2010, 10:25 AM

I think my quotes are before the Cdn GST and PST taxes. The difference is about $1,000 which will pay for a lot of small market charges, especially on an item as big as a Mac Pro. The small Cdn Market extras should not cause a 20 to 25% mark up. Apple Canada seems to be lazy or greedy on not updating the prices say monthly.
It's nowhere near 20 - 25%!

Take an 8-core 2.93:

In Canada: $6659
In US: $5899
Difference: $760

760 / 5899 = .128 = 13%

That's a markup of 13%

The 8-core 2.66 has a markup of 15%

On top of that Apple's paying your brokerage fees, and you still pay taxes either way.
MacBook Pro

TomMcIn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2010, 12:43 PM

The system I calculated on both Apple.ca and apple.com contained: 2 - 2.26GHz Quads, 8GB memory, a 2nd 640 GB drive, the ATI Radeon Video card, Magic Mouse, Airport, iWorks, FMPro and Applecare. Pre Tax, the Canadian price was $5,266 and the US price was $4,266. Did not price out on just the hardware.
For now, will sit, watch and wait. Thanks for all the input.
Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules