Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how do you know if app is PPC or not?

how do you know if app is PPC or not?
bbales
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 10:01 AM

Intuit has already said Quicken 2007 won't work with Lion. After trying some other Mac software, I have decided to go with running Quicken on a Windows virtual machine. Am waiting for Windows to arrive by mail, in fact.

However, I have some other older software. How the heck do you know if they'll work or not? One is InTouch With, by Prairie Group software, which I've used for more than 10 years, easily. I've emailed the company but don't have an answer yet. I have an older version of InDesign, as well. Is there a list somewhere? Definitely won't be upgrading to Lion until I know whether some of this stuff will work or not. I hardly ever use InDesign, so that is not a deal-breaker... I got it for a project several years ago which I no longer do.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2011, 10:06 AM

About This Mac> more info> Applications (Kind will show Intel, Universal, or PPC...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 10:21 AM

I am going from memory so might be wrong but I believe CS2 is all PPC. I know CS5 is Intel only. Apparently CS3 is universal.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Jul 20, 2011, 10:28 AM

Correct. CS3 was the first Universal version of Creative Suite. CS5 was the first Intel-only release.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks much for the info! Sheesh -- I have more than one PPC application, including InTouch With (darn it! -- I love its free-form ways, and simply don't know what to replace that one with) and, as noted, InDesign.

And who knew Bejeweled 2 (a very favorite mindless game) is PPC?

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 11:47 AM

My youngest daughter has a brand-new MacBook, purchased for her starting college in a month. I think I'll upgrade hers first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules