Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can I undelete?

Can I undelete?
lookmark
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 01:27 AM

OK, I just did something quite stupid -- I deleted, by accident, a bunch of important files on my (backup) external FireWire drive. This was done by using OS X's GUI Empty Trash command.

The good news is that I realized what I had done immediately, and I haven't used the drive since. I'm hoping that it *might* be possible to recover some of this data, esp. if it hasn't been overwritten yet... I don't have my hopes up high, but...

The bad news seems to be that Drive 10 isn't for sale yet.

Anyway: my question, and request for help. Would any one recommend trying out UNIX file recovery programs (relink, lde...?) to attempt this, or would this be foolish?

I'm a designer with a geeky curious streak (and always interested in learning), but by no means a programmer.

Thanks for any help.

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2001, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by lookmark:
<STRONG>OK, I just did something quite stupid -- I deleted, by accident, a bunch of important files on my (backup) external FireWire drive. This was done by using OS X's GUI Empty Trash command.

The good news is that I realized what I had done immediately, and I haven't used the drive since. I'm hoping that it *might* be possible to recover some of this data, esp. if it hasn't been overwritten yet... I don't have my hopes up high, but...

The bad news seems to be that Drive 10 isn't for sale yet.

Anyway: my question, and request for help. Would any one recommend trying out UNIX file recovery programs (relink, lde...?) to attempt this, or would this be foolish?

I'm a designer with a geeky curious streak (and always interested in learning), but by no means a programmer.

Thanks for any help.</STRONG>
I can't help with your problem, but the new finder does offer the ability to undo your last action - it is a shame - from my point of view that it is not possible to undo the last few items of the trash - I realize this could cause problems - maybe it should be an option you can turn on/off.
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

lookmark  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 04:43 PM

It's true, one can't undo emptying the trash. It sure would be nice if you could.

I have one more question to add to my plea for help... how does OS X delete files? Does it use "rm"?

Can I boot back into OS 9, and use Tech Tool, or NUM, or do I need a OS X-tuned version of these programs?

(I've tried already using Tech Tool 2 -- a little out of date -- to recover and had no luck.)

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

che
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 08:52 PM

I'm not sure whether this will work or not, but the rm command has an undelete function. You can use it by typing 'rm -W [file]'

Check the manual page for rm for more info ('man rm')

lookmark  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2001, 01:27 AM

<STRONG>I'm not sure whether this will work or not, but the rm command has an undelete function. You can use it by typing 'rm -W [file]'

Check the manual page for rm for more info ('man rm')</STRONG>
Hmm! Trying to first delete, then undelete a sample RTF document, I typed:

rm exp.rtf
rm -W exp.rtf

The former worked, but the latter resulted in:
rm: exp.rtf: No such file or directory

?

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: lookmark ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules