Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Old ABS and windows network

Old ABS and windows network
surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 09:48 AM

So I brought in my old graphite ABS to work and hooked it up to the LAN. For the most part everything is working fine on my powerbook (running 10.2.6). I set it up to connect via DHCP and bridge to the ethernet network. I can get on the internet and connect with the other Macs in the lab. However, I can no longer connect to the PCs in the lab (running Windows 2000 for the most part). This was not a problem when I connected via ethernet cable. Is there something about the older ABS that makes this impossible or am I missing something?

ghporter
Administrator
May 9, 2003, 11:38 AM

You're probably just not authenticated on the network, so the network doesn't show up.

This may or may not apply to you, surfacto, but I just gotta say it. <lecture>You should note that, unless you got express permission to connect your ABS at work, your flying saucer is rogue equipment. It threatens the security of the network and will get you talked about. At very high levels, too. Always check with your IT folks before connecting anything, particularly anything wireless. This keeps you from getting fired and stuff.</lecture>

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

surfacto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
You're probably just not authenticated on the network, so the network doesn't show up.
Not sure what you mean by that. How do I get authenticated? I used to be able to connect to the PCs in the lab using smb//... but now that doesn't work.

This may or may not apply to you, surfacto, but I just gotta say it. <lecture>You should note that, unless you got express permission to connect your ABS at work, your flying saucer is rogue equipment. It threatens the security of the network and will get you talked about. At very high levels, too. Always check with your IT folks before connecting anything, particularly anything wireless. This keeps you from getting fired and stuff.</lecture>
I ok'd it with my supervisor, but he doen't really know how this stuff works. I work at a large university research hospital and the "IT guys" are so fragmented that they have no control over what goes on in the labs. We basically have to look out for ourselves, so I am the IT guy for my lab. I can walk through the halls of this place and pick up at least 3 or 4 signals on my laptop just on my floor. Its a joke! Of course, I have never tried to get into those networks so I don't know if they're secure. Our main lab computer has been attacked from the outside twice in the last year, but we still don't know what to do about it. And we keep getting all these anti-terrorist email alerts to make sure that certain "biological agents" don't fall into the wrong hands. Good thing we don't keep those on our network.

surfacto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 02:00 PM

Problem Solved.
I had it set to share an IP. Unchecked that box and now everything works perfectly just as if I hooked myself in with the wire.

ghporter
Administrator
May 9, 2003, 02:30 PM

Cool for solving the problem. Bummer that the IT guys can't find their, er, body parts with both hands and written instructions. The really bad part about that is that the school/hospital is running an incredibly large risk of violating HIPA if even one patient record, test result, or name associated with any other personal information gets leaked out because they don't have it together. That's EXPENSIVE! Be very careful about where you use your computer, where that base is located (preferably away from anyone outside the school/hospital), and don't get anywhere near patient records without express permission. If somebody goofs, you don't want it to be you!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules