Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Font Smoothing

Font Smoothing
jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 02:11 PM

Shouldn't the font smoothing option be in the Displays panel instead of appearance? When I use my PowerBook with a second CRT monitor, the text looks funny because both screens are using the Flat Screen anti-aliasing. If it was in the Display panel I could choose a different setting for each screen, kind of like I can have a different color profile.

-- Jason

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by jasong:
Shouldn't the font smoothing option be in the Displays panel instead of appearance? When I use my PowerBook with a second CRT monitor, the text looks funny because both screens are using the Flat Screen anti-aliasing. If it was in the Display panel I could choose a different setting for each screen, kind of like I can have a different color profile.

-- Jason
What are we suppose to do about it? Send feedback to Apple.
jesse ;-)

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 06:01 PM

Anti-aliasing has nothing to do with the display, merely how text appears on each. Note the key words in that last sentence. And send feed back, since we don't have the capability to have different anti-aliasing types for each monitor connected to the machine.

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2004, 09:13 PM

Anti-aliasing has nothing to do with the display
Really? Then why are the settings styles based on the display type?

And I wasn't asking for a solution, but rather looking to see if anyone else agreed with me or saw this as an issue. I am really confident that if I am the only one who sees this as an issue Apple is not going to change it.

Maybe I should have done a poll . . .

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2004, 11:26 PM

I had never noticed that before. I agree, it should be an option.

cryon
Apr 4, 2004, 11:36 AM

i think there have to be a lot more options regarding the font smoothing... like more treshold options... for different appliactions. I know you can do that with som terminal magic, but that's kind of difficult for an ordinary os x user.
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by jasong:
Really? Then why are the settings styles based on the display type?

And I wasn't asking for a solution, but rather looking to see if anyone else agreed with me or saw this as an issue. I am really confident that if I am the only one who sees this as an issue Apple is not going to change it.

Maybe I should have done a poll . . .
perhaps what was meant was that as the text setting is system wide, it is not related (currently) to the display, anyway, I agree, but things might get kind of tricky when you have a window that spans 2 monitors, then half the window has to be composited using one setting, and the other half using another, bearing in mind that different antialiasing settings can affect overall kerning and letter spacing (a tiny bit), things might go rather wrong with 2 separate settings.

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 04:41 PM

Now that makes sense. I guess I will just have to sell my CRT and get an LCD

-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules