Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > anyone else's keyboard letters disappearing?

anyone else's keyboard letters disappearing?
Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 10:33 AM

Hey, I searched around to no avail. The only place I could find this problem being discussed was the Apple Discussions forums, but who knows what (if anything) has been 'moderated' out of those threads.

So anyway, I bought this iBook in March 04 and noticed after 2 or 3 months of normal use (for a primary computer) the paint on a couple of the keys was beginning to disappear. I figured I'd let it slide, see if it got worse, and now after another couple months I've got to say it's pretty damned terrible, and causing some usability problems with this being a bilingual keyboard. As of now, the L and N keys are over 90% gone, the S is on its way, as is the C, the <, the ?, the A, the D, the right arrow, and the I.

I called Apple Support here in Japan and they said the problem is not covered under warranty, but they'll be happy to pick it up and take a look free of charge, and maybe if I'm lucky, change their mind and replace the keyboard under warranty. If not, it'll cost about US$200 to replace the keyboard.

What do you think about this? Anyone else have similar disappearing keyboard letters paint? I'm going to call Customer Care again tomorrow and see about speaking to a higher-up. This is kind of ridiculous I think. 6 months!??!?! Unbelievable.

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 11:59 AM

I've lost the bottom right bit (about 2-3 mm long) of the Apple symbol on the left-hand command key. This is the only place it's happened after about 19 months of use.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2004, 09:40 AM

not that anyone cares here, but i thought i should jot down the outcome of this in the event someone else has this problem.

simply put, apple picked up my machine on monday and returned it on wednesday with a brand new keyboard.

great experience with their service center here, and i'm guessing the paint on this one is *permanent*... the only problem was having to work on win2000 for a couple of days

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2004, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
great experience with their service center here, and i'm guessing the paint on this one is *permanent*... the only problem was having to work on win2000 for a couple of days
I'm sure you already know this, but don't use organic solvents to clean off plastic components. I've seen someone do it before, and the results ain't pretty.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2004, 11:41 AM

you're right, i do know that
in this case, i never 'cleaned' the keyboard, period. the thing was practically new, never needed any cleaning. if i need to clean it at some point (can't imagine i will, but if i do) i'll just use a soft water-dampened rag.

Forte
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2004, 11:52 AM

FWIW, this problem seems to affect every kind of laptop at some point or another (I've had it happen with several Windows-based laptops, for example). It's a real pain, 'cos it seems to be worse on newer machines within the past couple of years.

You'd think that by now, manufacturers would start producing keyboards with engraved letters instead of screen-printed ones, really...

xaserax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 01:55 PM

I'm having the same problem. I've had mine since February and the L is almost totally gone, the N is halfway and the S is starting to go.

Anyone know about buying individual letters and replacing them yourself?

the_snitch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 05:28 AM

Buy one of those clear rubber keyboard covers iskin make.
There called the protouch PB (i think). www.iskin.com

gonadman
Sep 11, 2004, 06:39 AM

I had the exact same problem, with the same result. Apple replaced the keyboard (in Germany) free of charge. It was still under the 1st year of use (actually only a couple of weeks!) and the L came off completely!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 08:36 AM

Right now my "L" is almost entirely gone, and the "C" is about halfway gone. The "S" is starting to go, too. I had previously lost all of my "N" and "A" keys, but I secretly swapped them with a display model at an undisclosed store. I'd get the keyboard replaced, but it's not a huge issue, and the inconvenience of not having the computer for a couple days makes it not worth it.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2004, 10:10 AM

i've been touch-typing for many years already, but still, occasionally i need to see what's going on at the keyboard.

i'm just thankful apple has acknowledged the problem and taken care of it. what worries me now is if i'll be resurrecting this thread in a couple of months to report the same problem >_<;;

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2004, 05:04 PM

My letters dissapearing are:

A-S--LE

hmmm... what could I be typing so much..
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 03:17 AM

keys rub off... that's why i love the powerbook keyboards .. etched in .. nice .. i just hope i dont rub the key (not the letter) off... hehe ... if you can touch type .. you're fine .. if not ... you can swap off your keyboard =P...

otherwise .. get a keyboard silicone cover thing .. and just write letters on that thing ...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Donnab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 08:14 AM

I bought an iBook G4 as soon as they came out last fall. It was delivered in November. The paint is coming off the keys. Not wearing off, but lifting up and flaking off.

This is my 5th Mac and my 2nd iBook. My original iBook clamshell 300 still has all the paint on the keyboard.

Apple sent me a new keyboard for the iBook G4, but it didn't fit. They have now sent me another one. The tech I spoke with told me it was a "hot issue".

And, no, I never used any chemicals to clean it and it has hardly been used. I use my desktop Mac most of the time and when I need to use the iBook for an extended period, I plug a full-size USB keyboard into it.

If your letters are peeling, call Apple. The keyboard replacement is an easy job to do yourself if you have a #0 phillips screwdriver.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Forte:
FWIW, this problem seems to affect every kind of laptop at some point or another (I've had it happen with several Windows-based laptops, for example). It's a real pain, 'cos it seems to be worse on newer machines within the past couple of years.

You'd think that by now, manufacturers would start producing keyboards with engraved letters instead of screen-printed ones, really...
the problem with engraving is thatthe letters would be depressed in thekeys. the problem i am having now, is thatthe space bar works only some of the time. its rather annoying as the main thing i am oging todowith it is type papers. i only got it a few days ago, and got a straight up lemon, and thisisalreadymy second machine. iamstarting to questhing the quality of these mac products. my ipod is all scratched up even though i keep it in a custom case. GRRRR. sorry i rant.

but yeah my space bar isnot really working to good.

Abit667
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 11:01 AM

Does apple want the old keyboard back if they send you a new one?

skalie
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by vvedge:

A-S--LE

ASL?

fhoubi
Senior User
Oct 9, 2004, 06:32 PM

Lucky you all... My ibook 2002 lost already 2 keys, they just broke off. They are now bridged with cellular tape, as the keyboard is not covered by AppleCare... Damn.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2004, 10:20 AM

I've never had this problem with either of my iBooks (most recent iBook G4 800, 12") or any other Mac, but my Toshiba at work is really bad for this.

Is everybody who is having this problem using the latest generation iBook?

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by mgl:
I've never had this problem with either of my iBooks (most recent iBook G4 800, 12") or any other Mac, but my Toshiba at work is really bad for this.

Is everybody who is having this problem using the latest generation iBook?
same model as you here

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

exiva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2004, 03:53 AM

my A and S keys are wearing off. thanks for posting this, atleast i know its covered. i thought they would consider this something cosmetic.. ill be sending my iBook to applecare once my iMac comes and ill immediately be purchasing a iSkin for the keyboard
12 Inch G4 iBook | 256 MB Ram | 30 GB Hdd
Purchased January 24, 2004

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 11, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Abit667:
Does apple want the old keyboard back if they send you a new one?
Yes, Apple will keep the old keyboard. They won't send it to you, generally, but to a repair center who will do the replacement.

tooki

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2004, 09:33 AM

Mine's a 14" G4 from November 03. Keys flaking away include:

S, C, and .

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 09:22 AM

I guess you could always try using a fine-tip brush and some black paint and do it yourself...

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2004, 10:36 AM

I have an iBook G4 that I've had since November 2003 and all of the letters are fine; and I use this thing constantly. I've even used Dirtex to clean the keys and everything is fine. My only problem is the damned stains where my wrists go.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2004, 02:13 PM

Get a white rubber eraser like you would use with a pencil, and those wrist stains are history!

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
Get a white rubber eraser like you would use with a pencil, and those wrist stains are history!
Yes, that's what I've been doing. It doesn't look perfect, but it's better than brownish stains.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by vvedge:

A-S--LE

Ass Lease?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 10:30 PM

G4 iBook "S" key lettering vanished?!?
It is the only one

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2005, 04:54 AM

lmfao, keyboard letters are doing it again, have an appointment to send this sucker back on thursday. IF it hadn't been covered under warranty last time and apple charged me $250 for a new keyboard i'd be pretty pissed off now, but since they replaced it for free last time maybe they'll do it again this time... hopefully with one whose characters don't disappear in such a short time. un-freakin-believable. either way though, they've got some serious problems with these ibook keyboards.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2005, 10:21 AM

I'm two months into keyboard #2. So far so good. Warranty's gone now though.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2005, 12:02 AM

^_^ on keyboard number 3 as of today :O
unbelievable, isn't it.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

KianD
Jan 29, 2005, 02:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ji Eun:
IF it hadn't been covered under warranty last time and apple charged me $250 for a new keyboard[/QUOTE

WHAT!!

A laptop keyboard is worth a tenner. At most. Websites that just ooze overpricededness have them for around 70 quid. From here, the replacement looks like it'd take around 5 minutes max, so they can't be charging 200 quid for that.

This site looks pricy, but has the entire board for a hundred dollars. http://www.powerbookmedic.com/G4_iBo...w-p-16595.html

Also sells individual keycaps for 9 dollars a key for a US layout...

If Apple are charging you $250 its show they still don't understand the meaning of the words "Customer Care"
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by the_snitch:
Would using a cover prevent this? After all, the key is still making contact with the cover. Couldn't it possibly rub off that way?

T. Diddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Gabriel Morales:
Would using a cover prevent this? After all, the key is still making contact with the cover. Couldn't it possibly rub off that way?
no, it's not sandpaper, but made out of silicone, very soft and pliable. you might be thinking of those cheaper plastic-like shields, the ProTouch PB is not like that.
G5 Dual 2.0 | 23" Cinema HD | 12" PowerBook G4 1.33 superdrive | 12" iBook G3 900 | clamshell iBook 366 | iPod shuffle 1G

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by the_snitch:
seems like using a condom to me.....

SuperNova

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by T. Diddy:
no, it's not sandpaper, but made out of silicone, very soft and pliable. you might be thinking of those cheaper plastic-like shields, the ProTouch PB is not like that.
Well, fingers aren't sandpaper either... Sure you don't work for iSkin?...

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 01:53 AM

i'd rather have a keyboard that didn't need replacing after 3 or 4 months than yet another doodad. if i were working on a boat i may get the iskin, but otherwise no thank you.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Marc Wolfgram
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2005, 01:41 PM

We're on Keyboard four on my wife's G4 800MHz iBook... I've no gotten to the point where every 70-80 days I take it back to our local Apple Store and ask when Apple is really going to fix the problem - then off to the repair depot and two days later it's back with a new Keyboard... I just have to keep it in the 90 day "repeat repair" cycle, but at the quick rate that letters wear off the keyboard, that is not a large problem. The only inconvienence is that I lose my Pismo for a couple days so my wife is not "disconnected" while her's is in the shop. This is a major problem.

Has ANYONE confirmed if the ice G3 iBook keyboard will work on the G4 iBook?
-- Marc

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2005, 06:26 PM

I posted waaay back in this thread that I'd never had this problem with my iBook G3 or iBook G4. It is starting to happen to my iBook G4 800, and I've only owned it half as long.

I use my iBook about as much as one possibly can, but I've only worn half of the letters off of a couple of keys. I do think the new keyboard is not as well built as the old G3 one, but I'm not sure why you're having such worse luck than me.

My main problem is the trackpad. I never had this with my G3, but the trackpad quickly became slick and often jumps the pointer around. I've cleaned it and cleaned it, and reset it when necessary, but it's a useless trackpad compared to the G3 one.

I've been needing to take the iBook G4 in for repairs for a year but I can't bear to be without it for a couple of weeks. But I have 3 problems now so I'll be doing it soon. I want the trackpad replaced, I want the battery replaced (it's down to 45 mins), and I want the screen fixed (flickers between bright and dim sometimes).

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2005, 04:03 PM

I'm glad to hear that Apple is replacing keyboards under warranty. Many of the keys on my iBook G4 1GHz have worn (nearly) off. I suspect it's cheaper for Apple to replace a few keyboards than it is to have it reengineered.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 02:49 PM

Some people's body chemistry is such that it weakens the paint off the keys just enough that typing can knock the paint off. I've seen a woman go through a keyboard every couple months. She had 4 keyboards in the first year. I'm guessing it was a combination of slightly acid sweat and long fingernails. Eventually Apple replaced it again and told her it was the last time. We gave her 10% off one of those silicon covers.

ImpulseResponse

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 02:55 PM

Sounds like a plausible reason for the wear, but I've never worn a keyboard on any other PC I've ever used... I've got a keyboard here right now that's 8+ years old. It's dirty as hell, but none of the keycaps are worn off.

If Apple is not going to fix the problem, they should at least do warranty replacements so long as it's a customer concern. Let's be fair, it's probably a $5 part (plus labour, of course).

jezebele
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 10:11 PM

Yikes This isnt like live journal where I can delete the whole thing and click submit and it deletes the post. Well sorry I wrote the post 2 times. I said I was covered under apple plus and I meant to say Not covered under it. (WOOOOps) sorry. ~ Jez

I had my laptop not even a month and the keys started to disappear on my g4ibook. Being under warranty I took the laptop in and had 3 keys replaced. My N key was the worst of all keys on the keyboard it pretty much started disappearing the first week I had the computer. To make a long story short. The mac store replaced them without any fees. I am not sure if they even documented they were replaced. Not long after having this done it started again.

Today I took my laptop in under the year warranty and on the Apple Plus policy. The person who was behind the counter said he could not replace the keys since my computer isnt new and the key problem is considered a natural wear and tear issue. I started welling up because I was then told that it would cost about 70 dollars to replace all my keys. I asked the man "do you have engraved keys for this keyboard?" he says no. I asked him if he could suggest any thing I can do to protect my keys that I have remaining? he said "No again." So I left disappointed.

I had a windows based laptop for a year before the keys started to disappear. That I consider natural wear. But when my computer is new and not even 5 months old. I become disgruntled with the idea of corporation re capitalizing on an already newly purchased item. The person behind the counter told me if I call Mac they would charge me 49.95 an hour if I wanted to talk to a rep. "Wow" I have six keys needing replacement I purchase my computer in March.

I obtained information on areas to get keys. They are on the average $8 each. There are protective covers for the keyboard.

I am on a search for the "rub off letters you can find at stationary stores" They come on a clear film and you rub them onto the hard surface you work with and they stick. They look like the letters that are on the keys. I figure pay 8 bucks for a flat of letters and then pay the 20 dollars for the keyboard cover. Thats my solution to the problem. Much better than a sharpee marker.

The Keys: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/White-...p-p-16601.html

The Cover:http://www.iskin.com/protouch_PB1.html
( Last edited by jezebele; Aug 12, 2005 at 10:27 PM. Reason: wrote that I was covered under apple plus and forgot to say I wasnt covered.)

jezebele
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 10:24 PM

I had my laptop not even a month and the keys started to disappear on my g4ibook. Being under warranty I took the laptop in and had 3 keys replaced. My N key was the worst of all keys on the keyboard it pretty much started disappearing the first week I had the computer. To make a long story short. The mac store replaced them without any fees. I am not sure if they even documented they were replaced. Not long after having this done it started again.

Today I took my laptop in under the year warranty and not on the Apple Plus policy. The person who was behind the counter said he could not replace the keys since my computer isnt new and the key problem is considered a natural wear and tear issue. I started welling up because I was then told that it would cost about 70 dollars to replace all my keys. I asked the man "do you have engraved keys for this keyboard?" he says no. I asked him if he could suggest any thing I can do to protect my keys that I have remaining? he said "No again." So I left disappointed.

I had a windows based laptop for a year before the keys started to disappear. That I consider natural wear. But when my computer is new and not even 5 months old. I become disgruntled with the idea of corporation re capitalizing on an already newly purchased item. The person behind the counter told me if I call Mac they would charge me 49.95 an hour if I wanted to talk to a rep. "Wow" I have six keys needing replacement I purchase my computer in March.

I obtained information on areas to get keys. They are on the average $8 each. There are protective covers for the keyboard.

I am on a search for the "rub off letters you can find at stationary stores" They come on a clear film and you rub them onto the hard surface you work with and they stick. They look like the letters that are on the keys. I figure pay 8 bucks for a flat of letters and then pay the 20 dollars for the keyboard cover. Thats my solution to the problem. Much better than a sharpee marker.

The Keys: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/White-...p-p-16601.html

The Cover:http://www.iskin.com/protouch_PB1.html

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2005, 07:38 AM

I'm on keyboard #2. The first one lasted almost a year before ink started to flake away, and the second one just a few months. The S is completely gone again. Being a touch typist for about 15 years I don't care if all the keys fade to nothingness, but it is a silly problem.

I had an Amiga 1200 which I typed on constantly for 7 years, and no key's ink ever faded, flaked nor chipped. My parents used their 1986 clacking monster for about 15 years and neither did it show any wear. So there's definitely a quality issue with laptop keyboards, iBooks especially.

It's as if the ink isn't protected. It just sits there exposed. When I used to rub a finger tip gently accross keys on other keyboards, the surface always felt uniform, as if there was a sealant/glaze over it. On the Amiga it was visible, a shiny layer in the shape of the characters being protected. On the iBook, you can feel raised ink. Try the letter D especially. They're just asking to disappear.

How many Powerbooks have lost key ink? If the iBook key inking solution is this flaky...oh that's good...they shouldn't make them this way anymore.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2005, 11:01 AM

i use the iskin, just got it recently. I have a few issues with it that I posted in a thread in the Peripherals forum. But overall it does the job great. Within 3 days I could see a layer of dust, hair, and fingerprints that would have made it to the keyboard, and in the keyboard, had I not had the iSkin.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=265966 <-- my mini review on the iSkin.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

kayzee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2005, 07:26 PM

Just want to say thanks for this helpful thread. I got my second iBook the end of April 2005. Within a week the R E N were going and completely gone in another week

I never had this problem with my first iBook until it was about 4 years old. After another week several more letters were gone, so I assumed it was covered under applecare and called the dealer in my area who handles this.

He replaced it - no mentioned of $$ or limits. Just that my nails were too long and I was scraping the paint off the keys. Said I had shorter nails now than I did with the old iBook so what's different? He said they silk screen them on instead - whatever - and they don't wear as well

Says a court reporter client goes through about 8 keyboards a year.

Same song and dance about the nails with replacing the second keyboard - says he replaced it two times -- no more - that's my limit-- not really covered and he replaced it only to be nice, and that any more keyboards, apple would want the iBook back, then likely disallow my claim of faulty keyboards as nothing wrong with it.

I figured not a lot of women use Macs and didn't think guys would have a 'long nails' issue, and I would be a lone voice in the wilderness -- so unless this forum is the largest concentration of female Mac users in the world, the disappearing keys have nothing to do with my slightly longer nails.

Dealer has suggested the skin or the letters, so I will pursue the links posted above -- thanks!

and I thought I might also be having stckiy space bar issues but it's sporadic-- yet it's oddly reassuring to have someone else mention this.

kayzee

then in July the letters on the second keyboard started going but I held

Marc Wolfgram
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 03:23 AM

I just got back from a no joy attempt to get keyboard #6 from Apple through my local Apple Store Genius Bar. The keyboard is 88 days old on my wife's out of warranty 12" iBook G4. Keys missing legends are: E R T I O S D F H L & N.

Our full story is at: Faulty iBook G4 Keyboard

I have been using Apple products wit Apple Keyboards since 1983... Never have I had a problem like this. I'm pro 100% pro Apple, but they're making a mistake in how they are handling this issue.

The keyboard design is faulty. The "normal wear and tear" excuse is nothing more than Apple dropping the ball.

-- Marc

AppLe_SnaP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 10:12 AM

Hi...

I too have problems with my keyboard...and ive only just gotten my iBook for 2 months!!!

anyhow...what im more concerned about are oil or shiny marks on the keyboard...especially my spacebar...where there is this shine across it. what's worse is that there is also this shine on my trackpad...which is giving the trackpad a weird feel and motion isnt that smooth...

i was wondering if anyone has this problem...and how have they dealt with it? i've tried cleaning products...though none seem to be able to lift this shine-oil bit off...

i used to have brownish stains of where i place my wrist...though i solved that with an eraser...but the same magic wont work on these 'shines'...

help someone please??? I want my 'nice' and smooth trackpad back...since i love using it!!!

=]

Forum Links
Forum Rules