Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Jaguar Finder emulation?

Jaguar Finder emulation?
Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2004, 04:07 AM

I'm once again digging the Jaguar style which first attracted me to OS X, and have re-applied the .guikit by MaartenApple which I found here at ResExcellence some time ago.

This time around I'm noticing a lot of inconsistencies though, where Panther seeps through the Jaguar theme, especially when it comes to the Finder. I guess it must be nearly impossible to emulate a Jaguar-esque Finder under Panther, but can we at least come closer to Jaguar's button style? Are the back / forward buttons separable in Themepark? Can we pinstripe Finder without destroying the entire brushed interface of the iApps, VLC, etc? Of course we can hide the sidebar and add shortcuts to the top toolbar and voila, half the job is done, but the other half seems pretty crucial for a decent emulation. (Mind you I don't want to replace Panther's Finder, I just want it to look like Jaguar's is all.)

Just thought I'd throw this Finder dilemma out to the die-hards here and see if anyone's interested in taking another crack at Jaguar. As it is, with this theme the Finder just looks kind of silly all Pantherized with just the Jaguared traffic widgets.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2004, 09:31 AM

I know at one point Unsanity released a beta version of Metalifizer that worked with Panther and could demetalifize the Finder. I can't find it though. Maybe someone else knows where it's hidden?

If no one else knows, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2004, 09:37 AM

so de-brush, and then apply the theme is what you're suggesting. but i guess the end result will just be a debrushed light-colored finder sans pinstripes though, not to mention debrushed safari, ical, ichat, vlc, iphoto, etc. erm... any other ideas?

edit 1: actually, i'm giving your metallifizer idea a shot since it is app-excludable. ;D
edit 2: hmmm, after installing, applying and logging out/in, many apps have been de-matallifized, but not Finder :/ bah. /me disables metallifizer.
( Last edited by Ji Eun; Oct 30, 2004 at 10:06 AM. )

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
so de-brush, and then apply the theme is what you're suggesting. but i guess the end result will just be a debrushed light-colored finder sans pinstripes though, not to mention debrushed safari, ical, ichat, vlc, iphoto, etc. erm... any other ideas?

edit 1: actually, i'm giving your metallifizer idea a shot since it is app-excludable. ;D
edit 2: hmmm, after installing, applying and logging out/in, many apps have been de-matallifized, but not Finder :/ bah. /me disables metallifizer.
you need to get metalifizer 1.3 beta. and in one of the tabs, you only add finder. global settings = dont change. then relaunch finder.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2004, 12:29 PM

Sweet tip!! At a glance that's a pretty convincing Jaguar Finder.

metallifizer 1.3beta link is here if anyone wants.

Any other ideas?

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
Sweet tip!! At a glance that's a pretty convincing Jaguar Finder.
metallifizer 1.3beta link is here if anyone wants.

Any other ideas?
Copy the Jaguar finder to a Panther install?
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
BAD idea.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2004, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
I guess you didn't read my first post. I don't want to replace Panther's Finder.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules