Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > arlo rose interview at aquaxp.com

arlo rose interview at aquaxp.com
Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 12:11 AM

Konfab is no longer an exclusively Mac app, and a lot of you here work cross-platform. If you are curious about Arlos's take on the Windows port, check out www.aquaxp.com for an interesting read.

It is the first in the series of Konfabulator related articles, covering various subjects like resources usage, development, piracy and more.
Arlo talks about widgets, competition and gives some interesting details about present and future versions of this popular customizing app.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2004, 12:50 AM

interesting read. I know Arlo says a Windows version was always in the plans... but you gotta think that Dashboard had more than a little to do with getting it out so quickly.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 02:24 AM

he said as much in the interview, didn't he?

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2004, 04:53 AM

Who cares? He seems to have dropped all support of Konfab for Mac users. How many new widgets in the last few months? Sorry, but I've been very disappointed with all of his whining and then abandonment of the Mac platform. Worse case of sour grapes.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 07:32 AM

How many new widgets in the last few months?
True 'dat. A trip to the Widget Gallery used to be an exciting, weekly thing. Now I can't even remember the last time I saw anything new there worth downloading.

That being said, the weather widget alone is almost worth the price of admission. Waaaay better than WeatherPop. There are a handful of other widgets I now wouldn't wanna live without... Just nothing new in months and months.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

BlueIce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2004, 09:16 AM

I agree. Instead of focusing on how he could make Konfab better than Dashboard he whined and complained about having competition. I remember when Sherlock 3 came out and everyone was like, "That's just like Watson!" The truth is, I have never used Sherlock because Watson was such a better program and implementation of that idea. Arlo could learn something from that experience. Make it better then Dashboard and people will use Konfab instead of Dash. Just my 2�.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 11:21 AM

oh joy, more widget whining

if new widgets work cross-platform as hoped, then as konfab gains popularity on windows you can expect an increase in widget releases benefiting the mac side, too. give it a rest already.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
oh joy, more widget whining

if new widgets work cross-platform as hoped, then as konfab gains popularity on windows you can expect an increase in widget releases benefiting the mac side, too. give it a rest already.
Not necessarily, some widgets may work for windows only so this doesn't really mean there will be an increase widgets.

esXXI
Senior User
Dec 1, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
[...] then as konfab gains popularity on windows [...]
'As' should be 'if' Muff. Especially since Konfab is the most resource hungry of currently available, and the most expensive.. I can't really see why it'll grab a lot of people past the 'OMG it's shiny and new' phase.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 02:57 PM

The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 03:00 PM

I think you can count on NOT having very many new Mac widgets. Just my 2�
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Who cares? He seems to have dropped all support of Konfab for Mac users. How many new widgets in the last few months? Sorry, but I've been very disappointed with all of his whining and then abandonment of the Mac platform. Worse case of sour grapes.
yup yup
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2004, 04:30 PM

Konfabulator what?

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 07:33 PM

... as hoped... i said 'as hoped.' according to arlo, widgets should work cross platform as they rely on similar UNIX commands that come pre-bundled with the win version. so, being brand spanking new on windows it will only increase in popularity (how much so remains to be seen of course). Even if only a third of new widgets work cross-platform it would mean bigger numbers for mac users. crikey.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

mubach
Dec 1, 2004, 09:22 PM

I do hope more of these type of interviews will be done by the AXP team, Muff, it's the only reason I visit there, that and to stare at your avatar...which can sometimes go on for hours (its mesmerizing, like a lava lamp). Great job, you and Unbe.

(=0, me on MacNN?)

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2004, 09:52 PM

Who really cares about this guy and his app anymore? He acted like a child screaming about stolen software, when Dashboard was based on an app from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in mac history.
Konfabulator is a huge resource hog. On the PoS computer I have, I can't afford any memory leaks stealing all my speed from PSCS and iTunes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules