Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Gas Prices, Environmentalists, "Government", us, Gas Co's

Gas Prices, Environmentalists, "Government", us, Gas Co's (Page 2)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by black bear theory
the first proof you asked for is to prove that oil is not being used up.
Dude. If you're not going to read what I type then what's the point?

The first proof I asked for was:

Originally Posted by Doofy
Prove that oil is running out
Not "prove that oil is not being used up".

Those are two completely different questions.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2006, 05:27 PM

yyou can state that the oil companies are hiding the real truth from the public, the "real" numbers, but that makes it into a conspiracy, and then you linking the alex jones website is not so shocking anymore. you'd have the geologists complicit, the managers complicit, the CEO's complicit, and finally the SEC complicit, among thousand of foriegn companies in on the hoax too. it's ten times more ludicrous than the whole of NASA complicit in a moon landing hoax, and no one has said peep since then? hell, our own CIA, the most secret of them all, can't even keep a secret...
It's easier than one would think. There doesn't need to be that many people in the loop at all.

Oh. And are you sure that the recent CIA leak wasn't intentional?

why would US corporations move out of the US into foriegn countries which are huge security risks, just to perpetuate a myth that 'there is no more domestic oil here. that's why we need to raise prices.' why not just stay here and save billions of dollars in oil tankers, security arrangements with foriegn countries, and all things associated with the oil business? it doesn't make sense to me.
Market creation. Expand influence, make people in new territory want what you have, bingo, more assets for Wal-Mart, more sales for Chevrolet, etc., etc..

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2006, 05:49 PM

if we continually use a finite resource, eventualy that resource will be used up. unless something replaces it. that is not observed. therefore, we are running out. it's simple math. you can call out pet fantasies of abiotic oil, international conspiracy, if you wish to make things mesh in your head. that's your perogative.

you may address my links if you like, but i don't see why you would since you haven't up to this point.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
1. Global supply.
2. Global demand.

While we don't know precisely how much oil is in ANWR, most experts agree that it would not provide significantly enough extra supply to provide more than a temporary respite in oil prices.

I, personally, welcome these naturally high oil prices. It's pretty much the only way to motivate the development of the alternative energy sources that we're going to need in 50 years.
Amen, SpaceMonkey, well said.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 12:16 PM

Actually Greg, by the time I'd got to your age I'd already been a professor for four years in the subject which interests me. That took some learning.
You were a professor at 21? Wow, never heard of that before.

And, of course, my comment was that this subject interests me. That's why I've taken courses on geological processes and earth/atmospheric interactions. When you start talking about self-replenishing oil reserves or comparing oil to the water cycle, well, then things go downhill pretty fast.

greg

Now Playing: Blind Melon – Car Seat (God's Presents)
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
You were a professor at 21? Wow, never heard of that before.
Yep. I was a quick study. Finished high school by age 13, etc.

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
And, of course, my comment was that this subject interests me. That's why I've taken courses on geological processes and earth/atmospheric interactions. When you start talking about self-replenishing oil reserves or comparing oil to the water cycle, well, then things go downhill pretty fast.
Let's put this to bed, agree to disagree. I got a fairly major project hitting next week and I need to be in a non-argumentative mindset.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 08:48 PM

Yep. I was a quick study. Finished high school by age 13, etc.

done with high school at 13. 4000+ in these forums in less than a year... You do everything quickly huh? May be privileging quantity over quality tough.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos

done with high school at 13. 4000+ in these forums in less than a year... You do everything quickly huh?
Everything that doesn't involve women, yep. Most of the time I feel like the rest of the World is in slow motion.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2006, 10:57 PM

I'm gonna start eating healthier and taking better care of myself.

Because I want to be around to feed some crow to all the teenage enviro-sheep who, today, believe that global warming is man-made and oil is running out.

If they'd put half as much faith into their own goals in life - they'd be happy successful individuals.

Instead, they waste time and effort on elusive ever-changing doomsday scenarios. Looking for a solution - as if their life can be extended, and they can regain all the time they wasted.

Life is about *you*. Don't spend it worrying about everybody elses' life.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 12:42 AM

Everything that doesn't involve women, yep.

what, you haven't got any yet?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
I'm gonna start eating healthier and taking better care of myself.

Because I want to be around to feed some crow to all the teenage enviro-sheep who, today, believe that global warming is man-made and oil is running out.

If they'd put half as much faith into their own goals in life - they'd be happy successful individuals.

Instead, they waste time and effort on elusive ever-changing doomsday scenarios. Looking for a solution - as if their life can be extended, and they can regain all the time they wasted.

Life is about *you*. Don't spend it worrying about everybody elses' life.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2006, 03:34 AM

Cavuto lays it to Sen. Durbin on Big Oil™ and taxes.

Link

Goto the one at the top that says Cavuto vs. Durbin: Pump Politics.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2006, 03:08 PM

I'm not sure where Cavuto got his numbers, all the references I've seen show about $.18/gallon of gas goes to the Feds and over $.80/gallon goes to the refiners. There are also state taxes, which here in CA are about $.36/gallon.

I had to pay $3.33 per gallon for regular last night, it seems like prices are going out of control.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
I'm not sure where Cavuto got his numbers, all the references I've seen show about $.18/gallon of gas goes to the Feds and over $.80/gallon goes to the refiners. There are also state taxes, which here in CA are about $.36/gallon.

I had to pay $3.33 per gallon for regular last night, it seems like prices are going out of control.
I don't think that 80¢ the refiners get is all profit, I believe their expenses are included in that.

I think with the the 50¢ tax per gallon number he was speaking of a national average including state and local. (to add a little padding to his argument me thinks)

Nevertheless his point is a perfectly valid one. The federal, state and local have NO problem whatsoever imposing high taxes on a product that we all use and rely on, but when the prices go up they politicians dogpile on the oil companies for daring to make money off of a product that we all use and rely on.

It's idiotic to me that in 1998 when the government took approx. 50% of of a gallon of gas that costs $1.08 no one cared. Now, when the oil companies, who actually DO something to earn their money, are making a whole 3-4% profit on gallon, we want their heads!

We have this bizarre, naive trust in the government to take our money even though it has been PROVEN that 1/3 of our taxes at all level are lost to waste and corruption.

Forum Links
Forum Rules