Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Shake 4.1 for $500

Shake 4.1 for $500
loki74
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 11:27 PM

Okay, so I was on the NewTek LightWave3D forums and I run accross a thread with the same title as the one above... naturally I think it is some @sshole trying to sell cheap copies of hack software... but to my pleasant surprise, its not! Seems like Apple has slahsed the price of this amazing software to $499. Came here to ask about it, and sure enough the 'NN has an article on the front page. (Although much to my surprise, I did not see any new threads about it)

It looked really good until I noticed one thing--

In the Highend3D article the OP of the LW thread referenced, it is stated that "Shake 4.1 is a maintenance release." I tried looking into this, but I could not find much useful information as to exactly what this idicated... does this mean that this option is only available to current owners of Shake? Exactly what is a "maintenance release?"

Here is the Highend3D article:
http://highend3d.com/news/software/149.html

Here is the NN article (as though you really need a link..)
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/06/...ases.shake.41/

Any insight would be much appreciated!

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2006, 12:39 AM

apple cnd edu store lists shake at 290 now

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2006, 05:54 AM

Maintainence means "nothing really new, just cleaning up/fixing a few things." Aside from the price drop, the only significant technical change that I know of for 4.1 is that it is a Universal Binary.
Reading a few other articles, it sounds like Shake has been end-of-lifed. Apple is offering big customers the ability to buy the source code for $50k so they can continue using it and fixing any problems they come across. Rumors say Apple is developing an in-house replacement (they bought Shake from another company) that will be better and available in ~2008.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 06:39 AM

Sounds good! I'm sure the people who recently bought Shake for thousands of dollars are now pissed...

loki74  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 01:41 PM

Yeah, I actually went ahead and read the entire thread on CGTalk. There still seems to be a debate as to whether or not Apple will release the next gen software as Shake, or under some other name.

In any case, I think we can only expect workflow enhancements to make it work better with FCS and OSX in general. I'll be damned if they get rid of the simplicity and logic of the program, specifically node tree/working in context. Layer based and non-context compositors are sooo much slower to work in... and I'm sure if Apple made any drastic changes, many people would get pretty pissed off.

So I think that whether or not we get "Shake 5.0" or "Agitate 1.0,*" we can expect it to kick ass. In the meantime, I think that buying and learning Shake 4.1 may not be a bad idea, as it will surely provide a foundation for learning whatever comes out in '08.

* (joke ripped from CGTalk thread)

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Rumors say Apple is developing an in-house replacement (they bought Shake from another company) that will be better and available in ~2008.
It's confirmed by Apple themselves so this is not really a rumor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules