Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone SORRY they installed Leopard?

Anyone SORRY they installed Leopard? (Page 2)
Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2008, 11:08 AM

What ghporter said. Under Tiger, iCal would say Jul 17 until it was launched, then obviously it would display the right date. Under Leopard it automagically shows the correct date even when iCal is not running.

tuqqer
Feb 24, 2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
What ghporter said. Under Tiger, iCal would say Jul 17 until it was launched, then obviously it would display the right date. Under Leopard it automagically shows the correct date even when iCal is not running.
I can verify that. Tiger no have. Leopard have. And at midnight, the iCal number will change...right before your eyes. If that's not worth the upgrade to Leopard, I don't know what is.
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 12:18 PM

In Tiger, iCal's Dock icon would update only if you had first launched iCal in a session. IIRC, even if you subsequently closed it, the icon would continue to update because of the iCalHelper process.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Mine doesn't do that. It'll close the window if I eject a volume only when that volume is the focus of the window. But if I have, say, my Home folder open and I eject by any method another volume the window stays put. Just like I expect it to.
This isn't 100% reproducible for me, but does happen a lot. However, I have identified a situation where something equally as boneheaded is 100% reproducible:

1. Have a single Finder window open in column view, and mount a disk image from that window (e.g. navigate to your downloads window and open one from there).
2. The disk image should be one that opens a new window to show its contents. Don't do anything with this window, but instead go back to the original Finder window and select the disk image in the sidebar (to show its contents).
3. Now eject it using the sidebar eject button of that Finder window. Both that Finder window and the original disk image window will proceed to "eject".

In all prior versions of OS X, only the mounted disk image window would have ejected, and the original Finder window would remain open but revert to your default Finder window view (home folder or computer level).

For me, it will sometimes do this even if I don't select the disk image (to show its contents) in the sidebar of the original Finder window. [Edit: I suspect that this will happen if the mounted disk image is one that doesn't open a new window and instead mounts within the original Finder window, so even though you never give the image focus it will still eject your Finder window for you without you having ever looked at the contents of the mounted disk image. However, I haven't found one like that on my system yet to test that theory]

Also, this behaviour has changed from all prior versions of OS X anyway. If you close the mounted disk image window, show the contents of the disk image in the original Finder window and eject - that window now closes instead of reverting to a default Finder window view. It never used to this before so why change it now, especially when it makes absolutely no sense from a usability point of view?

TravisReynolds
Mar 3, 2008, 02:00 AM

no way i love lepoard, i love how the dock looks and the menu bar on top. Plus there new applications. Leopard changes the way i work
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 07:30 AM

Anyone here found that their MacBook/MacBookPro battery life is OK after moving to Leopard.
Note a number of unpleasant battery-draining experiences in thread in Notebooks Forum:

http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...attery-issues/

Gives me second thoughts about upgrading my PowerBook G4... until somebody with my configuration has good news for me.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 08:00 AM

Just me ... but my battery seems to be doing very well after Leopard.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Just me ... but my battery seems to be doing very well after Leopard.
Well, it's good to hear at least ONE positive vote.

:: Still waiting to read if the Notebooks thread amasses any further such reports ::
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 09:54 AM

I've only installed basic Leopard, and it's working great. (I really love the quick look feature.) Has everyone gone ahead and installed the update? I was a little reluctant to mess with success! Then I had some firewire issues (turned out my hub died, because plugging the drive directly into the computer brought it back alive). Anyway, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. There seem to be a lot of issues, but then again, you only hear about the problems, not the successes.

techtrucker
Senior User
Mar 3, 2008, 10:59 AM

Not sorry at all, I waited a couple of weeks to make sure there was nothing really ugly happening, then went ahead and did an erase and install on my MacBook.

A couple of little things bug me, like someone else mentioned the drawer being taken out of iCal. Also the way the Finder window disappears when unmounting volumes, and the way that views are handled in the Finder. But I believe that one has been beaten to death in other threads.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

tuqqer
Mar 3, 2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
Well, it's good to hear at least ONE positive vote.
::
No battery problems here. Long lasting.
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I've only installed basic Leopard, and it's working great. (I really love the quick look feature.) Has everyone gone ahead and installed the update? I was a little reluctant to mess with success! Then I had some firewire issues (turned out my hub died, because plugging the drive directly into the computer brought it back alive). Anyway, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. There seem to be a lot of issues, but then again, you only hear about the problems, not the successes.
If you have a notebook avoid the 10.5.2 update for now. It seems to cause some sleep issues, and unfortunately there is no roll-back.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 3, 2008, 05:58 PM

Since I don't sleep my MBP very often (and not at all lately) the sleep issue is not a problem, but just what IS that issue anyway? I needed to go up to 10.5.2 to get my network drive to work with the MBP.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 06:08 PM

Mostly the issue is:
- Won't wake up from sleep
- Won't work with an external monitor in closed lid mode.

Otherwise it works great.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2008, 11:31 PM

After installing 10.5.2 I'm not actively annoyed with this OS, so no NOW I'm not sorry I installed Leopard.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Mar 4, 2008, 03:29 PM

Drawers were a mistake and I think Apple did a job getting rid of them. They took up unnecessary space on the desktop if you had a smaller screen.
I do not regret my purchase of Leopard. People were disappointed the first time around when Spotlight arrived. We finally have a better way to search in Leopard via Cover flow and Quick look features plus smart folders. Time Machine makes Data Viz and other backup tools look archaic.
Now only if I could find an sms receiver so I can check my messages when I don't have my phone.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2008, 09:42 PM

I hated Leopard when I used my Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz as my main computer. For some reason it would use 100% CPU power all the time, even after a clean install. I couldn't take any more of it so I had to get my iMac and reinstall Tiger which is what I have now. I'm totally happy with Leopard on my iMac now, it runs beautifully and I couldn't think of many ways to improve it. I just wished it would run on my Powerbook.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Forum Links
Forum Rules