Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network printing/scanning issue - can do one, but not the other

Network printing/scanning issue - can do one, but not the other
bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2009, 08:25 AM

I have long had a home wireless network: desktop (currently at first gen aluminum iMac) with an AEBS which supplies wireless to various laptops in the house. The AEBS goes to a router. This is a first generation AEBS. To it is hooked a Canon all-in-one (an MP600). The Mac laptops see it fine (curiously, my daughter's Dell laptop has never been able to, and I don't know enough about windows to figure it out. She's at school most of the time anyway) and print fine from it.

BUT -- the thing is a scanner, too. And I have NEVER been able to make it scan, with the printer connected via the AEBS. Curiously, one day in sheer desperation I used a different scanner cable that had previously been attached to an Epson that gave up the ghost. Plugged the reluctant scanner from the printer, obviously, into a USB hub that is connected directly into my computer and voila! Instant scanning. BUT -- you can't print with it set up like that -- the print center endlessly says it's looking for a connection. Put it back the way it was, and you can then print, but not scan.

This is an old AEBS so you can't connect it to a hub. And I need the wireless printing so I can't connect the printer directly into my computer.

BUT -- (there's always a but) I now also have a Time Capsule. Tried messing with that a bit, but it still comes down to one function works, one function doesn't.

My thinking now is that if I could connect the hub both to my computer and to my time capsule, I'd be in business, because the Canon would think it was connected directly to my computer, which it seems to want.

My question -- I've tried, really I have. I have to connect the hub into my iMac. Check. How do I daisy-chain the hub to my Time Capsule? That's -- as far as I can tell -- USB to USB, with the exact same kind of connector. I went to Best Buy, and the only guy was very dubious the only cable he had like that would work. He said it was more for data transfer.

DO I need to do something different? I'm at a loss. I know this should work, I just don't know how -- and the Canon manual has not been helpful. Yes, I could keep swapping cables, but it's kind of a pain, and I'd like it to work properly.

Thanks in advance.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2009, 08:50 AM

I have one more thing to try -- after doing a little more research, I realize the TC cannot power my keyboard, which was one of the things attached to the hub. So if I attach my keyboard and mouse directly to other sources, then MAYBE the scanning will work (and printing) while hooked to the new TC.

I'll try that this morning.

Maybe a second hub would help... just for my extra peripherals!

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2009, 11:42 AM

Unless Canon says the multi-function can scan wirelessly, it will never work. Newer AIO's will scan wirelessly, but if it is over a year or so old, it probably does not have that ability. I'd check with Canon to see if wireless scanning is supported.
Mary

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2009, 12:37 PM

Well, it sure would be helpful if Canon SAID that somewhere.

Thanks for the info. I doubt it will work wirelessly -- I've had the printer since mid-2007. But again, documentation to that effect would certainly be helpful. All they'd have to say is "scanner will only work if connected directly to the computer," or words to that effect.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2009, 09:53 PM

The AEBS only supports printers (and mass storage); it doesn't support scanning or anything else a multifunction device can do. You need a scanner with built in ethernet (wired or wireless) to scan over the network (usually via a web interface).

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2009, 12:33 AM

How about a Time Capsule, though? The TC is way newer than the AEBS. If I hooked up the TC, to a hub, to my iMac would itwork?

Probably not, I know. I guess I'll jsut have to switch cables.

Forum Links
Forum Rules