Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > When doing Setup Assistant, do have to connect to web first?

When doing Setup Assistant, do have to connect to web first?
bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2010, 07:03 PM

Hi -- Am preparing to turn on a new iMac and use Setup Assistant to transfer everything from the old one. It's been a while since I did this...

Question -- Do I need to connect to my modem with an ethernet cable? If so, why? My old one is still connected and the new one (and the old one) have airport. Can't I just run the setup assistant and then transfer ethernet cables from one to the other, when I'm done?

Please help! I'd like to get this done... am tired of worrying I'll do something wrong and screw it up, as I did several years ago.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2010, 07:07 PM

It really doesn't matter either way, though I really don't see why you don't want to connect the new machine straight away, or indeed at all, seeing as they both have airport.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2010, 07:09 PM

Nope. You don't need to be connected to the Internet to use the initial Setup Assistant for data transfer.

The easiest thing to do is use a firewire cable (assuming you're going from one Mac to another). Boot the old Mac into Target Disk Mode by holding down the "T" key and pressing the power button. Connect the two computers with a FW cable, and turn on your new iMac. The very first screen after the language selection and the jazzy "Welcome to OS X" video bit will let you choose to transfer data from a volume connected to your Mac. Select that option, click next, and the setup assistant will find your other Mac's hard drive and prepare to transfer your stuff. You should have clear sailing from there.

You don't NEED to be connected via Ethernet - and if you've been connected to your modem directly, I recommend getting a wireless router, which will add an extra layer of security between you and the Internet.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2010, 07:33 PM

At first I didn't think I had another ethernet cable -- but I do. So I can connect both -- it just seems funny to me, if I'm transferring things, to have them both connected, one to an airport and the other to the router. Seems like a prescription for disaster to me.

Also -- I found some very nicely detailed directions for doing the setup assistant. In that one, it says to start the new imac, go to the welcome screen, select the SA, THEN connect the cables and then restart the old mac in target mode. You have it differently. Is the exact order important?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 03:59 AM

Turn on the new Mac and follow the on-screen instructions.

Stop worrying.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2010, 05:37 AM

Too right. And also don't fret about mixing wifi with ethernet. I do it all the time. And I mean all the time. In fact, loads of people do it all the time. Its not a recipe for disaster at all.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules