Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro screen going black

Macbook Pro screen going black
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2010, 08:37 PM

Occasionally for the past few months the top half of my screen will go black for a fraction of a second and then come back again. Now it's happening more, a few times a day, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I use my computer all day for work so being sidelined would be bad news.

Anyways, it's the first Unibody MacBook pro, the one with the removable battery. 2.4Ghz Core 2 duo. Anyone know if this is a common issue in these models?

Thanks.

John

ImpulseResponse

ibook_steve
Jul 19, 2010, 09:23 PM

Unfortunately, this sounds like a problem with the graphics chip. What happens when you are connected to an external monitor?

Might be time to head to the Apple store...

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2010, 10:54 PM

This is an issue with the NvIDIA integrated graphics card. Is this a model with 2 cards? If so, switch cards and you'll see the problem is gone. I had this issue, sent it in, and they replaced the logic board/graphics card. Now it's back again. It's a widespread problem with that chip, so it's likely they'll end up replacing it with another one that will be defective in a matter of time.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2010, 07:14 PM

Half of the screen? I would have said the cable, but I'd suspect adamfishercox is better informed than me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules