Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Solution for Widows Outlook Express email import to Apple Mail

Solution for Widows Outlook Express email import to Apple Mail
ROBO58
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 09:02 PM

I'm a new owner of a Mac Mini + Tiger coming over from the PC side. I spent a lot of time asking/looking for help importing my Windows Outlook Express emails into Mail. I didn't have access to an IMAP mail system, a server or a .MAC account.

I found a Windows Application that converts Outlook Express DBX files to Mbox files. The application let me import all my Outlook Express emails into Apple Mail. The application is called DbxConv and available at: http://people.freenet.de/ukrebs/dbxconv.html

You open a DOS window to run DbxConv and convert a single DBX file at a time. You then copy them to your MAC via a backbone connection or CD/DVD to do the importing. Once on the MAC you do need to rename the .Mbx suffix to .Mbox so Mail will recognize the files.

Mail imported at a rate of 90 emails a minute so be prepared to let it work for a while.

Robo

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 06:21 PM

Old thread continuing problem...

I'm am scouring the internet for this famed "DBXCONV.EXE" but the only URL ever given for this freeware is at that freenet.de site which, in German, says the page is unavailable.

Anyone happen to have a copy on their machines or have a suggestion of how to get one?

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2007, 07:32 PM

I never heard of dbxconv...

however I had to do a migration from Outlook (2002) on PC -> OS X Mail for a colleague. I ended up paying $10 for a program called 02M. It will migrate everything you want out of Outlook (all versions, dunno about Express though). Even gets the calendar, tasks, and contacts. The only negative, when I did the import in Mail, if I had a mail backup file over 1 gig, it would crash. I ended up having to do the imports of email in 6 month blocks.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2007, 09:00 PM

Typically when switching users from Windows Outlook or Outlook Express, I install Mozilla Thunderbird on their PC. It will happily import their saved mail and addresses. Thunderbird can then export the addresses to a Mac-friendly format, and you can copy the Thunderbird profile over to the Mac and import its mbox files to Mail.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2007, 10:15 AM

By the way, that's what I ended up doing - the Thunderbird for Windows route - and it helped mostly. There is a separate problem with Thunderbird for Windows "garbling" the HTML e-mail that Outlook sends to it but I just dealt with it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 10:36 AM

Outlook generated HTML email is garbled to begin with

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2007, 11:38 PM

Emailchemy does a good job with this as well.
Thinking of buying a new Mac? My free ebook might help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules