Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where is webcam on OSX right now?

Where is webcam on OSX right now?
t_hah
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 07:02 PM

I am thinking about getting a webcam for myself and for my friend who lives in Europe so that we could videoconference over the Internet. Does anyone know what kind of software I need to connect to each other? He is on Windows 98 I think. I am running OSX 10.2.2. I am thinking about getting the Kritter Firewire camera for both. Do you think that is a good deal?

Can someone please explain what camera would be the best for us, and what software should we use for best results? Also what do I need to know about videoconferencing and webcams under OSX?

Thank you,

t

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2002, 07:06 PM

Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
ISPQ
Thank you for the link...here is my next question. I heard that the actual fps will vary by software that you use. I was told that there is something called squidcam that can create pretty good fps rates under X, but is not a cross platform app. Has anyone used ISPQ over the network? How fast was it? What are the issues when looking at speed of the video?

Thank you,

t

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2002, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
videoconferencing and webcams under OSX?

Thank you,

t
Latest Yahoo messenger's got a webcam option for OS X as well. I haven't tried it for video though. Don't have a cam
- Ravi

Terri
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 07:30 PM

If you just want to go one on one you can use Yahoo messenger.

Orange Micro makes a very nice Firewire cam that has Mac OS X drivers. http://www.orangemicro.com/

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 07:59 PM

yah I have been looking into web cams also for me and my GF. The kritter one is nice but man is it expensize. But it would look nice with my G4. The iBot 2 is pretty kool also, But I think its kinda ugly, and I hear its kind of tempramental to get to stand up. The other 2 I have been looking at are these. Both right under 100 bucks if you shop around a bit online.

this one just got a face lift.
http://www.adstech.com/products/API2...sp?pid=API-203
It beat the iBot 2 in reviews from macaddict, i think, and its only flaw was it wasn't on a tripod. But as you see it now is on a tripod after its case redesign

then theres this one that would be good for a laptops.
http://www.unibrain.com/1394_product...camera_mac.htm hope that helps. I'm still trying to decied on what ones to get me and my GF. I think 'll get myself the Kritter one w/ stand. and get her the ifire for her ibook. But we will see.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 08:13 PM

and on a side note. most of these fire wire webcames all use the same drivers by a company called ixoperts i think. they seem to be the only peps doing X web cam work but they are doing a killer job, Heres a list of all the cams they support, check out there site. http://www.ioxperts.com/

Terri
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
and on a side note. most of these fire wire webcames all use the same drivers by a company called ixoperts i think. they seem to be the only peps doing X web cam work but they are doing a killer job, Heres a list of all the cams they support, check out there site. http://www.ioxperts.com/
I own SiteCam for doing streaming video and if you look at their site it looks like they don't support Mac OSX, but I just booted into OSX and it runs native, WTF, you would think that they would state so on their web site. All this time I've been running it in 9 thinking it wouldn't work in OSX.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 08:41 PM

is that app or a cam? and if its a app, what cam do you use?

Terri
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 08:58 PM

is that app or a cam? and if its a app, what cam do you use?
It's an app,
http://www.nuspectra.com/products/sitecam/index.htm

I'm using the Firewire iBot

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2002, 09:49 PM

I'm using a firewire iBot, with Yahoo IM. If anyone wants to see my kitchen in low light, I'm masonmcd. C'mon in.

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 02:15 AM

So how do you use your existing camera with Win users? What software do they need to use, and what kind should you use under X? I am kind of confused about how this works. Can someone with some experience in this tell me what would be a great cross platform solution? Thank you,

t

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 02:49 AM

does anyone know of the cheapest way to get a webcam up and running in OS X? i'd really like a cheap web cam so i can host a picture of what i see out my window from my room on my web site.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2002, 03:37 AM

Hi, just joining this thread. I'm looking into webcams for the same one on one videoconferencing use. My wife is in New Zealand and is using a win2000 laptop and I'm using a new Tibook in the US.

Do you really need these $100 firewire webcams, or can you just use one of the cheap usb cams if you find a driver for OSX.

Will you see much in the way of difference in framerates. Most of what I've seen relates frame rate to the software being used.

My wife's laptop won't accept firewire, so if she's on a usb cam, is there any point to me having firewire.

Cheers for the input.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
does anyone know of the cheapest way to get a webcam up and running in OS X? i'd really like a cheap web cam so i can host a picture of what i see out my window from my room on my web site.
Old-ass USB Kritter from eBay: $20.
IOXperts driver: $15.
Evological EvoCam: $20 (or free as crippleware?)

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2002, 11:46 AM

Maybe someone can explain how to get my parents to connect to my machine which is on a linksys router with another mac. Between the Linksys and X's firewall, she can't connect or see my video feed. I can't do DMZ because there's more then one machine on the linksys. I tired all the stupid ports too. Is it the linksys? Is there another router that is eaiser to configure?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Avon
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Terri:

I own SiteCam for doing streaming video and if you look at their site it looks like they don't support Mac OSX, but I just booted into OSX and it runs native, WTF, you would think that they would state so on their web site. All this time I've been running it in 9 thinking it wouldn't work in OSX.

I knew it!!! Im not crazy after all!!!!! Ha Ha ha Ha!!!

Site Cam 6.0 is native, and the best software in the world.

soulrack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 12:43 PM

here's my 2

I bought the Fire - i firwire cam which comes with ISPQ, the cam is PC and Mac compatible.
http://www.unibrain.com/1394_product...camera_mac.htm

The pc needs a firewire port. The cam also attaches to the top of my LCD perfectly.

Only reason you would want a firewire cam vs a usb cam is for a higher picture quality and faster frame rate.

I just saw the fire-i cam for $80-90 which is not bad at all considering it's a firewire came and comes with ISPQ for free. This video conference program alone is $30. Do a search on dealmac.com for cheapest place to get the fire-i cam.

Now you both don't need to go and buy the same camera's. You just need to have the same software. I find yahoo! IM video is a bit bugy but it is a FREE program. So you really can't go wrong with that.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 01:10 PM

I downloaded SiteCam and it worked without any problems. I used my Sony DV handicam via FireWire.

Spadesman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 04:17 PM

I have read that you can use Digital camcorders as a webcam but have not found any software that supports this feature. I read somewhere that versiontracker had some software, but I couldn't find anything. Can someone provide me a link? Thanks.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2002, 05:25 PM

By the way, don't invest in iBot 2 just yet. They're not supported on the Mac yet. I currently own the original iBot, which requires FireWire (and there's a OS X port).
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Spadesman:
I have read that you can use Digital camcorders as a webcam but have not found any software that supports this feature. I read somewhere that versiontracker had some software, but I couldn't find anything. Can someone provide me a link? Thanks.
you can, i have but with most DV cams, you would set it to record mode, and just leave it on with out recording anything. but most dv cams shut off automaticly after like 15 min. which get very annoying.

Spadesman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 05:40 PM

you can, i have but with most DV cams, you would set it to record mode, and just leave it on with out recording anything. but most dv cams shut off automaticly after like 15 min. which get very annoying.
Can you use the DV camera in a video chat program, like ISPQ or squid cam?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Chris Gilpin:
I can't do DMZ because there's more then one machine on the linksys.

Why cant you do DMZ host? both computers can still access the internet. The DMZ feature just fowrads all the ports to the internal ip that you have it set to.

I have my one server set up as the DMZ host, but i can still go on my normal computer to access the web, thats how you're seeing this...right? (i hope anyways)
I assume you were replying to me? Well, my wife's iMac is #2 on the linksys. I am #1 and if I set mine to DMZ I'd have to use the web cam, which I don't want to do because I work on mine 12 hours a day. That's why I wanted to use her's for the web cam but I'm not gonna set hers to be the DMZ because that screws things up for me. Right?

I just don't understand why linksys routers suck so hard with their NAT/firewall crap. I still can't get ICQ transfers any longer because of that. So I may have to break down and get those $500 for a pair of video phones at BestBuy, because my parents can't connect thru my firewall to video conference.

Terri
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:

I assume you were replying to me? Well, my wife's iMac is #2 on the linksys. I am #1 and if I set mine to DMZ I'd have to use the web cam, which I don't want to do because I work on mine 12 hours a day. That's why I wanted to use her's for the web cam but I'm not gonna set hers to be the DMZ because that screws things up for me. Right?

I just don't understand why linksys routers suck so hard with their NAT/firewall crap. I still can't get ICQ transfers any longer because of that. So I may have to break down and get those $500 for a pair of video phones at BestBuy, because my parents can't connect thru my firewall to video conference.
My Linksys router works great. I have port 80 mapped to the IP of a machine that is running Apache so I set the port of Sitecam to 81 and mapped that machine's IP to port 81 in the Linksys router. If you use a non standard port you need to include the port in the URL that you give out. Like this, http://YOURID:81/

I also have a few other ports mapped like for LimeWire, FTP, Appletalk, etc.

It's important to turn off DHCP in the router and set all the machines IP manually. Also be sure that you have the latest firmware in the router.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Terri:

My Linksys router works great. I have port 80 mapped to the IP of a machine that is running Apache so I set the port of Sitecam to 81 and mapped that machine's IP to port 81 in the Linksys router. If you use a non standard port you need to include the port in the URL that you give out. Like this, http://YOURID:81/

I also have a few other ports mapped like for LimeWire, FTP, Appletalk, etc.

It's important to turn off DHCP in the router and set all the machines IP manually. Also be sure that you have the latest firmware in the router.
Turn OFF DHCP? I've never heard that before, I thought the IP was dynamic and therefore could not be entered manually? I don;t run apache so is there anything else I can try?

Can you explain the http://yourid:81 thing? Who is that for? I use ispqchat so how who my parents connect when that app uses its own network? Unless there's an easier way to video conference and not just stream my own video.

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:

Can you explain the http://yourid:81 thing? Who is that for? I use ispqchat so how who my parents connect when that app uses its own network? Unless there's an easier way to video conference and not just stream my own video.
I think it is only for people that use a certain port that they define themselves for connecting. If you just use the connection software as it is, you should be in good shape without the :81 at the end.

If someone knows this better feel free to jump in.

So anyone out there using the Kritter FW camera? All the other ones seem to ugly for me. Sorry I am a Mac freak, and I like pretty things.
Anyhow...does anyone have experience with the kritter?

thanks

t

Forum Links
Forum Rules