Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > [Fold] Percentage Challenge

[Fold] Percentage Challenge
jarling
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 02:53 AM

The percentage challege.

The objective: Increase your production by as much as possible. The weaker your computing power right now, the better your chances of winning.

Thats right, a challenge for the casual cruncher who only runs folding on their TiBook 400 and a crappy Dell laptop whose plastic case is cracking (like myself).

This is for the cruncher who has computer labs and classmates/friends with computers that are going underutilized but who has never bothered to ask for their spare power.

This is essentially my response to enola blowing everyone out of the water in the dFold challenge.

To do this, a baseline must first be taken. It wouldnt be fair to take computers out of production or switch them to other projects before the start of this competition, so is there a way to take a snapshot of everyone's production right now?I think I may have to pass the mechanics over to the stats wizards.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to when to begin, how to track the competitors, when to end the contest, what type of prize I will be awarded when i win, etc, this is the place to share.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2003, 11:47 AM

Are there no takers? C'mon!! Okay, so I'll sweeten the pot a little. To the winner goes one weeks worth of crunching for Folding@Home on your behalf (and Team MacNN of course) from my little blue guy. It's sporting a 2.53 Ghz P4 and it's all yours for one week. What say you?

Believe me, having a race or competition is a great reason to ask for some crunching help. The team needs you!!!!

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 02:06 AM

Well my challenge is nearly over and that might help create a little more interest. Just waiting to see if Dalex can find a way to catch up.

DAlex
Apr 3, 2003, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
Well my challenge is nearly over and that might help create a little more interest. Just waiting to see if Dalex can find a way to catch up.
Heh, might have to call it a day - the lost days and sudden dips in production have put my weekly rate below yours now so don't think it's going to be possible to catch and exceed by enough ....besides, I think my mate may require his machines back shortly Adding 5000 points has been a bit harder than I thought.

This percentage challenge may be better for me....

DAlex

DAlex
Apr 3, 2003, 07:49 AM

Nonesense Mr Dalex s'ah! Just get your crunchers back on line - SETI can take a back burner - let's run that Shaktai bloke into the ground!

Aydon

(Yes, yes, I know - but I'm at work and can't get to my E-Mail to register!)

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2003, 02:02 PM

Well I could win cause I would be atrting at ZERO

DAlex
Apr 3, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by DAlex:
Nonesense Mr Dalex s'ah! Just get your crunchers back on line - SETI can take a back burner - let's run that Shaktai bloke into the ground!

Aydon

Please will you all note that this is not me having a conversation with myself but my erstwhile colleague in this crunching venture logging in as me!

DAlex

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by DAlex:

Aydon

Now that is the spirit.

Aydon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 08:12 AM

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, Shak

I doubt we'll manage to beat you...this time! But it's always worth a try

Forum Links
Forum Rules