Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > For those of you with ticking noises, how loud and often are they?

For those of you with ticking noises, how loud and often are they?
Sakino
Senior User
Jan 2, 2004, 08:52 PM

I was wondering how loud and often your ticking noises are with your 15 inch al pb.
I must say mine go on and off. I can hear it in a quite room, with a loud ass windows computer running in the background.
I'm afraid this might drive me nuts when I go back to school, and I am studying in the library.
Do you have any suggestions, taking the fact this is my 4th powerbook apple has had to send me. I want to think its a fan running, because I wouldnt be doing anything that would be causing the hd to spin, so I don't really know what to do.

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Sakino:
I was wondering how loud and often your ticking noises are with your 15 inch al pb.
I must say mine go on and off. I can hear it in a quite room, with a loud ass windows computer running in the background.
I'm afraid this might drive me nuts when I go back to school, and I am studying in the library.
Do you have any suggestions, taking the fact this is my 4th powerbook apple has had to send me. I want to think its a fan running, because I wouldnt be doing anything that would be causing the hd to spin, so I don't really know what to do.
My 12" Rev B ticks very quitely - doesn't bother me at all. I have used it in a library before, no problem. Very occasionally, there is a loud tick, I'm not sure what this is, perhaps the HD spinning down. To be honest, I like the HD noises. Since the PBs don't have a green light indicating when the HD is being accessed, how else are we to know when to let the computer do it's thing, and when it is ready for action?

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 12:26 AM

While connected to a LAN via ethernet I hear the ticking constantly. I have a browser running running in the background via T1 line.
Usually have several apps open at one time.
Noticeable but whisper like "tink" a tinny sounding click every 15 -30 seconds when I notice it. I think I notice it coming from the area of the superdrive. Where is the fan located? It's definitely coming from the right side of the book. I'm annoyed at having to play these detective games. First with this issue, then with the battery then the screen. Really like my Powerbook although it's not as tight as it should be. Saving up for the big phone call.

Forum Links
Forum Rules