Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple is going to love me tomorrow (Saturday), when I give them a call.

Apple is going to love me tomorrow (Saturday), when I give them a call.
Sakino
Senior User
Jun 25, 2004, 11:31 PM

I�m quite fed up with Apple as of right now.
A brief history for those who don�t know. I bought my first Apple product back when the new AL 15� pb came out. By the time they were shipping, it was sometime in October. Between October and December I went through a total of 5 NEW powerbooks, because each one that they sent me had numerous problems. I stuck in there, because I couldn�t stand windows anymore.
Well I decided to keep my 5th powerbook, because it seemed like I hit a winner. That turned out to be not true. After the first month, my powerbook developed white spot problems. The hard drive gives off random ticking sounds, which are really loud. I had to put up with this, because I need the computer for school. I called in for repair right away when school was out, and sent it in.
Well I got it back about two weeks ago, and once again quickly headed off to summer school and have been busy since.
Well Apple didn�t fix anything, but my white spot problem. My hard drive still ticks like crazy, and on top of that they SCRATCHED the hell out of my case in the screen area. I really don�t know what to do right now. Taking the fact that I am also having battery life problems with my IPOD that I purchased during the same time as my powerbook.

Obviously I am going to call and cooperate in a calm fashion tomorrow. I am just wondering what you guys would do?

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 01:46 AM

Do just what you said you were going to do. I know you are the customer but be as humble as possible. Being "the customer" doesn't entitle anyone to lose their temper and start yelling at Apple. When the customer remains calm and shows no anger most companies will bend over backwards. If you have Applecare on your Powerbook (hopefully) then you will have a goldline of credit with Apple. They will go much further than the extra mile when your Mac is married to the Applecare protection plan.
Without Applecare you may not get Carte Blanche treatment even if the computer is under the manufacturer's warranty.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
Do just what you said you were going to do. I know you are the customer but be as humble as possible. Being "the customer" doesn't entitle anyone to lose their temper and start yelling at Apple. When the customer remains calm and shows no anger most companies will bend over backwards. If you have Applecare on your Powerbook (hopefully) then you will have a goldline of credit with Apple. They will go much further than the extra mile when your Mac is married to the Applecare protection plan.
Without Applecare you may not get Carte Blanche treatment even if the computer is under the manufacturer's warranty.
I have apple care, but I am just sick of this lemon computer ********.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 01:11 PM

Demand a brand new one. Get to tier 2 support, they will do it. Tier 1 is not authorized to, but just talk/demand your way to tier 2. The tier 1 support will resist, but just explain your story to whatever tier 2 guy you get and they'll probably replace it for you with a new one from the new line.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2004, 04:43 PM

I recommend going to an Apple store personally. This way I have them record the condition of my laptop before it is sent in. If it comes back scratched I have a record. My feeling is it is best to have a live person; it gives more pull when you have an Apple genius that you have been cooperating with on your side and speaking to Apple on your behalf. As a result I am waiting for a brand new Rev C 17" to replace my old rev A due to screen problems for the 3rd time. I advise patience; I have heard really bad stories on the Dell forum and do not doubt I would find similar stories on other PC forums. I prefer Apple and have confidence they will come thru. This is comming from a guy who has sent his 667 DVI Ti in 5 consecutive times, so I feel ya; I know what you are going thru. The fifth time they came correct. It looked and worked brand new. I sold it and got the Rev A 17". All in all from what I have read I would rather deal with Apple than Dell.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...general&page=4
( Last edited by urrl78; Jun 26, 2004 at 04:57 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by urrl78:
I recommend going to an Apple store personally. This way I have them record the condition of my laptop before it is sent in. If it comes back scratched I have a record. My feeling is it is best to have a live person; it gives more pull when you have an Apple genius that you have been cooperating with on your side and speaking to Apple on your behalf. As a result I am waiting for a brand new Rev C 17" to replace my old rev A due to screen problems for the 3rd time. I advise patience; I have heard really bad stories on the Dell forum and do not doubt I would find similar stories on other PC forums. I prefer Apple and have confidence they will come thru. This is comming from a guy who has sent his 667 DVI Ti in 5 consecutive times, so I feel ya; I know what you are going thru. The fifth time they came correct. It looked and worked brand new. I sold it and got the Rev A 17". All in all from what I have read I would rather deal with Apple than Dell.

The Apple Store cannot replace a laptop. Only dealing with Apple support on the phone can.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by urrl78:

the funniest part of that page is that they all have the same problems.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 11:21 AM

How are they going to replace a 6 month old laptop?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Sakino:
How are they going to replace a 6 month old laptop?
Apple has a limit were if a certain percentage of the components in the laptop have been replaced you can get a replacement.

Re-reading your story I guess it would be hard, as this is probably the first time you've had issue with this laptop. If it fails you again though you can just explain you have had tons of issues with this line, and you don't want your old laptop back.

As a side note... I actually had a friend who tried to cheat this system. He took a power cord, cut off and stripped one end, plugged the other into a wall, and held the stripped end against his RAM chips from his Powerbook G3. He put these chips back in his Powerbook, and tried booting it. It of course, failed. 8 hours later though it was alive and kicking. He then took the power cord, and stuck it inside his machine on the motherboard. This DID successfully fry it. I was kinda annoyed with him cheating AppleCare like this, and I reminded him that Apple probably would not give him a new Powerbook G4 for his 3 year old G3, and he told me they HAD to because it was a Powerbook.

Apple gave him a 12" iBook for his 14" Powerbook. I laughed at him.

Anyway... Thats my amusing off topic side story for the day... I'm done now...

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 05:42 PM

I'm quite good at talking my way into things, perhaps, but what you say isn't the case.

I had an Apple Store replace a Powerbook I bought from MacConnection - so it wasn't even one which they'd sold me in the first place.

Originally posted by goMac:
The Apple Store cannot replace a laptop. Only dealing with Apple support on the phone can.

Forum Links
Forum Rules