Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Browse by full albums in iTunes?

Browse by full albums in iTunes?
callefoss
Nov 19, 2004, 07:33 AM

Maybe Iíve missed something, but I am wondering how you guys separate your singles from full albums in iTunes? My problem is that when I transfer songs to my iPod and browse by artist I never know for which artist I have a full album, except if I click on the artist and check the songs of course. Especially when driving my car I wanna be able to browse artists on my iPod for which I have the full album only (have to focus on the road). Is there a way to do this in iTunes and on your iPod?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 07:50 AM

This annoys me, too, except I have a different problem: when importing a full album into iTunes, sometimes the artist information for different tracks is different, so you don't get the full album when browsing. There are a few ways around this in iTunes:

- When browsing in iTunes, pick artist "all" and then pick the album you want. You'll have to weed through more albums, but you'll get all the songs.

- pick "show compilations when browsing" in the iTunes preferences. Now all the albums that are marked as compilations are lumped together when browsing by artist.

- Manually change the artist tags to all say the same thing. This is useful for those albums where a guest artist performs on one track and the artist information is different than the rest of the album. It's also useful for cast recordings of musical soundtracks where the iTunes tagging is too thorough and each song as a different "srtist" because different main cast members were featured in it...

After reading through my post, I realize that you were asking for something else entirely. Oh well, maybe some of these suggestions ccan help anyway...
( Last edited by dreilly1; Nov 19, 2004 at 07:55 AM. )

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2004, 08:21 AM

You can search by artist or album in iTunes. For your iPod on the road, simply create an on-the-go playlist and you can add to it by album or single.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

callefoss  (op)
Nov 19, 2004, 09:09 AM

Yeah, well actually what I am doing now is to create a playlist for each artist with a full album, but I just though there would be another way of doing it with the iPod. In iTunes my problem is that I am loosing track of for which artists I have full albums (library is getting very big). There are of course ways to find out like scrolling through everything, but I think it would be a nice feature in the "Get info" part to check a box which says something like "Belongs to full album". In this way you could group all full albums just like it is done with compilations.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2004, 09:16 AM

Just put it on shuffle and be done with it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2004, 04:10 AM

Thank you, Randman, you can sit down now.

I was actually thinking about this just yesterday.

I'd like to be able to create an intelligent playlist based on either tracks not having an entry at all for "Album" or coming from an album with no more than three tracks present in my Library.

I think that should get just about all my single tracks collected into one playlist.

-s*

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 08:42 AM

Sounds like a job for Applescript.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

callefoss  (op)
Nov 20, 2004, 09:53 AM

Wrote some comments to Apple but who knows when and if they will add a feature which separates singles from full Albums...

du Namaradre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2004, 10:34 PM

Hi callefoss,

here was my own inelegant solution:

-Decided that i needed to have 4+ tracks to consider it an album.

-Anytime I had 1, 2 or 3 tracks only from an album, I would change the album label to "singles". (Possible additional step: Copy the album name to comments field so it's still searchable).

end result:

One hyper-album named "singles" containing ~600 songs.
Can now use ipod to browse by album and select any one knowing it will actually be an album (or at least 4 songs)

It took a while to setup and I came close to giving up quarter-way through. Glad I didn't though, it suits me very much this way.

callefoss  (op)
Nov 22, 2004, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Forum Links
Forum Rules