Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just to confirm, is this the right type of ram I need for my new mac pro.

Just to confirm, is this the right type of ram I need for my new mac pro.
Sakino
Senior User
Apr 12, 2007, 01:08 AM

I just put in an order for a 2.66 dual core xeon mac pro, I kind of wish I did it 2 months ago and didn't wait out for the 8 cores.

I went thru crucial and this is what they suggested.

2GB kit (1GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module

Whats the difference between buffered and unbuffered memory?
Because my university has: Crucial Memory : 2GB Kit (2x1GB) 240 pin DDR2-667 PC2-5300 Fully Buffered ECC CL5 1.8v
For 50$ cheaper and I would just pick it up from them and save myself the money.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 01:51 AM

Mac Pro's require fully buffered DIMM's with heatsinks. Did you upgrade to the X1900 and and add the bluetooth/Airport? I sure did and well worth it. Aperture fliers.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 07:53 AM

As MacWrite wrote, you need to make sure you not only get the correct ram specification wise but it includes the proper heat sinks.

Here's the Crucial link
and the OWC link

I went with the OWC memory because at the time it was over a $100 dollars cheaper then crucial and from what I read it's the same exact memory manufacturer and heat sinks the apple uses. OWC, like crucial has a good rep regarding their products.
Michael

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2007, 04:07 PM

The memory your university has may not have the oversized heatsinks that the Mac Pro needs.

I'd go with Crucial from the link in mac128k's post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules