Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Chances of installing OSX on any x86 chip?

Chances of installing OSX on any x86 chip?
Sakino
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 07:01 PM

So I heard that it is going to be near impossible to install x86 on a non-apple machine? The reason I am asking this is because I need to build a tower pc soon. Personally I cannot wait another 4-5 months for the next version of the powermacs to be released. Has anyone else heard different?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2006, 07:09 PM

I haven't heard of the current version of Tiger being installed on a non-Apple machine yet. And it would be an expensive venture for you, since you would have to purchase an iMac to get hold of Tiger for Intel. That's 1200 $ just for the OS. It would be more cost effective to just purchase a PowerMac. Saves you time too, since you don't have to build it yourself.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2006, 07:40 PM

Legally obtaining a copy is "difficult" but people run it on non-Apple hardware.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2006, 07:45 PM

Boy, tooki and the others are gonna have fun with these superfluous threads.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I haven't heard of the current version of Tiger being installed on a non-Apple machine yet. And it would be an expensive venture for you, since you would have to purchase an iMac to get hold of Tiger for Intel. That's 1200 $ just for the OS. It would be more cost effective to just purchase a PowerMac. Saves you time too, since you don't have to build it yourself.
Yes I understand that, but before you know it there is going to have to be updates to the OS, which will require us buying a cd. There is no way in hell I plan on buying an imac right now.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sakino
Yes I understand that, but before you know it there is going to have to be updates to the OS, which will require us buying a cd.
I don't understand what you're saying. The current Tiger retail box is PowerPC only and I don't expect this to change soon. All Intel-Macs have Tiger already installed so there's no need to get a Tiger retail version for them.

If you need a tower now and can't wait as you're saying, you'd probably have to go with a PowerMac or a Windows box.

Forum Links
Forum Rules